Hunter 386 Shrouds

Feb 9, 2020
Hunter (NBY) 356/386 dk
Hi everyone, one of the 386's I'm considering has two (extra) shrouds secured on the rear quarters/transom with lightning(?) protectors - I can only assume for heavy seas/weather. Has anyone else seen this or have any comments as to why the original rig might need these? Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I would like to see photos of this, including where they are attached at the deck and where they come off the mast. If they are "shrouds" and come back to the transom, they would interfere with the boom. If they are running backstays, they would be soft line, not metal with "lightning protectors". Does the boat have a listing online with photos?

Feb 9, 2020
Hunter (NBY) 356/386 dk
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your prompt reply. Much appreciated. The 386 in question can be found at the following link. The shrouds in steel are well clear of the boom. I've crawled all over it! They are anchored above the rear lockers on the diving platform area, near the gas locker. I'd not seen one like it and all the other 386s don't seem to use rear shrouds at all from what I can see (?)
Welcome your thoughts. Best. Howard.

Feb 9, 2020
Hunter (NBY) 356/386 dk
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your prompt reply. Much appreciated. The 386 in question can be found at the following link. The shrouds in steel are well clear of the boom. I've crawled all over it! They are anchored above the rear lockers on the diving platform area, near the gas locker. I'd not seen one like it and all the other 386s don't seem to use rear shrouds at all from what I can see (?)
Welcome your thoughts. Best. Howard.
I should say rear stays, really. 40 odd years ago I was taught that any riding abeam or abaft of the mast was a shroud and it sort of stuck!

Feb 9, 2020
Hunter (NBY) 356/386 dk
Bit of an update - I've been in touch with Sta-Lok and the connectors are insulators but not, as I was told, for lightning protection - they are for enabling the rear stays to be used as radio antennae! Still, the first time I've seen them on a hunter! Unless you know different?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
................one of the 386's I'm considering has two (extra) shrouds secured on the rear quarters/transom..............I can only assume for heavy seas/weather. Has anyone else seen this or have any comments as to why the original rig might need these?
Have never seen this on a Hunter 386 on a B&R rig (I owned a 2004 Hunter 386 for many years). The B&R rig is designed to be pre-bent to further add rigidity to the mast section and eliminate the need for adjustable rigging like backstay adjusters. Might be a nice feature for heavy seas/weather. I would discuss the origination, reliability and experience of the back stays with the owner through the broker OR a rigger, if you have any concerns.

Feb 9, 2020
Hunter (NBY) 356/386 dk
Thanks very much, Crazy Dave and sail SF bay - I'll let you know what they report through this forum. I'd welcome your thoughts on this model SFBay, having owned one for a fear years - anything I should be mindful of? Best, H.

Feb 21, 2013
Fast and comfortable sailing. Will do hull speed all day long. Have taced it with an asymetrical spinnaker at 8.5 knots with 100% partial battened main with 25 knots and windgusts. Points high, 30 off the wind. No weather helm. Easy to maneuver in a marina. 40 hp yanmar is proven and strong engine. Cockpit is as large as my Hunter 46 and can seat 9. Love the winches on the cabin top and sheet pockets that avoid lines in the cockpit. Easy to singlehandle. Comfortable and moderately spacious in the cabin. Furling main a plus. Overall great boat and nice lines and well equipped. Vberth is comfortable for guests. Like the seatee cushions are stored under the vberth cushion shelf. Like the decking, life raft, electronics on the boat you are looking at. One downside is there is no large lazarette to stow a bike but that was the only compromise.

Feb 9, 2020
Hunter (NBY) 356/386 dk
Fast and comfortable sailing. Will do hull speed all day long. Have taced it with an asymetrical spinnaker at 8.5 knots with 100% partial battened main with 25 knots and windgusts. Points high, 30 off the wind. No weather helm. Easy to maneuver in a marina. 40 hp yanmar is proven and strong engine. Cockpit is as large as my Hunter 46 and can seat 9. Love the winches on the cabin top and sheet pockets that avoid lines in the cockpit. Easy to singlehandle. Comfortable and moderately spacious in the cabin. Furling main a plus. Overall great boat and nice lines and well equipped. Vberth is comfortable for guests. Like the seatee cushions are stored under the vberth cushion shelf. Like the decking, life raft, electronics on the boat you are looking at. One downside is there is no large lazarette to stow a bike but that was the only compromise.
Thank you very much SFBay - much appreciated - I took out a much nicer looking and better kept (and more expensive!) 356 a few weeks ago and found it fitted well for sailing solo most of the time, I also liked how things like sheet pockets and furling makes this easy and doesn't make the cockpit look like a dog's dinner! the 356 also sailed very close - so much so I thought something wasn't reading correctly. Interior needs a bit of love on this one but it has been sitting idle for a couple of years. Yes, the cockpit locker on the 356 stowed a liferaft, dinghy and 2 foldaway bikes but you lose the space in the master cabin. Flip a coin!
Appreciate your comments greatly and I guess the proof is that you now have a 46 :D - Fair winds...H.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Very nice boat. This is the first Hunter with a B&R rig with the outboard shrouds that I have ever seen with a backstay, standing or running. I had always thought someone would have eventually added one. But, I have never seen one and I've looked at a lot of Hunters on line.
This looks factory with the molded pockets for the plates where the backstays attach to. I thought I read that some Hunters were also built in England under the Legend brand for the European market for a while? I am very interested to see where the backstays attach to the mast. It has a roller furling main so they should not interfere with the sail.
So my guess (FWIW) is this 386 was made in England and the English Hunter 386's came with backstays. And I would not let the backstay be a reason to not buy it. See if it has bilge keels.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020
Hunter (NBY) 356/386 dk
Very nice boat. This is the first Hunter with a B&R rig with the outboard shrouds that I have ever seen with a backstay, standing or running. I had always thought someone would have eventually added one. But, I have never seen one and I've looked at a lot of Hunters on line.
This looks factory with the molded pockets for the plates where the backstays attach to. I thought I read that some Hunters were also built in England under the Legend brand for the European market for a while? I am very interested to see where the backstays attach to the mast. It has a roller furling main so they should not interfere with the sail.
So my guess (FWIW) is this 386 was made in England and the English Hunter 386's came with backstays. And I would not let the backstay be a reason to not buy it. See if it has bilge keels.
Many thanks Bill. Really appreciate your input. Yes, it's a curiosity, isn't it? The addition of a gybe brake is the first I've seen as well (took me a while to figure it out!). As someone who lives on the East coast of England (mostly mud), bilge keels are popular but I think I've only ever sailed one once! I'll go and have another look at her and share what I find. Fair winds. H.

Feb 9, 2020
Hunter (NBY) 356/386 dk
Hello all, hope you're managing to get a little sailing in :) I've been looking again at the boat I'm interested in (link in previous post) can anyone confirm it is actually a 386 rather than a 38? or another? Concept boat? There's a few things that look significantly different - the coachroof side windows, for one (not the signature double porthole type - built to order?) and the aforementioned shrouds (unique?) I welcome your thoughts. Many thanks.

Feb 21, 2013
............can anyone confirm it is actually a 386 rather than a 38? or another? Concept boat? There's a few things that look significantly different - the coachroof side windows, for one (not the signature double porthole type - built to order?................
Best I can tell the 2002 boat is a 386 (link to the 386 sailboat data below) as Hunter built them 2001-2003 and it looks like it has custom features. The 386 shares a common hull to the earlier 380. I had a 2004 Hunter 386 built in 2003. The 38 model started production in 2004. The 386 you are at has a lot of desirable features including AC, water filtration. life raft (albeit comes with a servicing cost), reportedly well maintained by the description and good price.

Feb 9, 2020
Hunter (NBY) 356/386 dk
Best I can tell the 2002 boat is a 386 (link to the 386 sailboat data below) as Hunter built them 2001-2003 and it looks like it has custom features. The 386 shares a common hull to the earlier 380. I had a 2004 Hunter 386 built in 2003. The 38 model started production in 2004. The 386 you are at has a lot of desirable features including AC, water filtration. life raft (albeit comes with a servicing cost), reportedly well maintained by the description and good price.

Thank you again sail sfbay. Very much appreciated :) It does need a bit of love and there's some money to be spent on it (tell me a boat where there isn't!!!) but because of the unusual items on the boat - rear stays, windows, a/c etc I did wonder if it had been built to order (not a bad thing). I crawled all over it but I only had 3 hours where it's moored in Barcelona as I had to dash down to Valencia to look at another - fly in, check two boats, 400km apart, take one out for a spin and fly home again in 48 hours! A damn good scrub inside and out will see her shine again! Very best regards. Howard.

Feb 21, 2013
Both my 2004 Huntet 386 and Hunter 46 were tired when I purchased them. A good cleaning, hull and stainless polish, complete canvas and cushion replacement, sun bleached part replacement, fiberglass and cabin wood scratches removed, engine serviced, water leak fixed on Hunter 386 mast base and they look close to new. That is all it took.

Feb 12, 2020
Hunter 356 119 Stockholm
I have talked to a Swedish rigger some years ago about running backstay or similar at a B&R because I wanted to be able to tighten the forestay while sailing. They discouraged to install this as the rig will be compressed when tightning and unstable and thereby increases the risk of mast failure. Tighten the top shrouds from the beginning at 20-25% of tensile strengt. What you can install is a running backstay mounted between the spreaders to avoid the mast pumping at high sea, but that makes the sailing downwind more complex.

Feb 9, 2020
Hunter (NBY) 356/386 dk
Thank you Patrikh - interesting and I guess it's always an issue to 'tune' the stays so that the rig isn't compromised as your rigger suggests it might be. The rear stays on this model are under tension but not as rigid as the beam shrouds. There are also insulators on these stays which, although I originally thought them to be lightning protectors are more probably an easier way to provide an antenna(e) for the radio equipment. Some older pictures of the boat show it had what looks like an iridium/satellite phone in place (not there now) and I'm wondering if this might have been part of the setup? This is the link to the original photos when first advertised. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=hunter 386&epa=SEARCH_BOX