Hunter 38 Improvements

Oct 19, 2019
Hunter 38 Youngstown
Thanks for all the replies folks. Much appreciated. I am happy to report that I anticipate finally being able to sail my “new to me” Hunter 38 this year. The winter canvas cover and frame will be removed soon, and the boat launched as soon as the weather on Lake Ontario is warm enough for live aboard. I’m thinking around the 1st of May.
I’ve decided that I should sail the boat “as is” this summer before making a decision on the folding prop.
But, I’m still on the fence on the spinnaker.
I anticipate doing a lot of short handed sailing- either single handing it, or with relatively (or completely) inexperienced crew/friends. I’m assuming an asymmetrical spinnaker would be my best choice, and would appreciate any input from other Hunter 38 owners on that type of sail.
I should add that I am an experienced sailor. I turn 70 this year and have been sailing for, umm, about 70 years. My parents sailed their Niagara 35 on Lake Ontario well into their 80s, and I learned how to sail from my father, who also sailed all his life. I’ve raced a little (I had Santana 20 for 20 years) and loved flying the spinnaker on that lightweight flying machine. But I’m not a racer. I just love the poetry of wind and water. In addition to the Hunter 38 I have a Pacific Seacraft Flicka that I sail here in Idaho on beautiful Payette Lake. The Flicka is one of the coolest 20 footers ever. In addition to sailing most of my life on Lake Ontario I’ve sailed the waters of the Pacific Northwest (the San Juans and Gulf Islands), and Hawaii.
So, any input on an asymmetrical spinnaker would be much appreciated. I don’t want to mess with a true spinnaker. I’ll never race the Hunter 38, because, umm, it’s a Hunter 38. LOL. But I love a boat that sails well, and I want to get the best sailing performance I can from this boat. It has the B&R rig, so I won’t be doing much (if any) downwind sailing.
Can I fly the asymmetrical spinnaker anywhere from a broad reach to 160* off the wind? Can I fly and douse it single handing? Those of you who sail the Hunter 38, do you feel you need a bigger headsail than the 100% it came with?
I should add that my boat has the roller furling main and headsail.
Thanks again for all your thoughts!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I purchased an asymmetrical spinnaker with an sock and top down furler tied off with breakable yarn to deploy and douse from the cockpit with a continuous furling line for my Hunter 386. Used once in a down wind race from San Francisco to Benicia (jaz cup). No spinnaker pole needed. All that equipment is for sale (ATN sock with tacker unused). Happy to share my experience setting it up and flying it.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2017
Hunter 380 Norfolk, VA
Happy New Year, all. I bought a 2006 Hunter 38 in November 2019. I’m in Idaho, but I keep the boat on in NY, on Lake Ontario. Sadly, because of COVID I was unable to get to NY in 2020, so 2021 will be my first sail on this boat. I have two questions related to sailing performance on this boat, and would appreciate input from Hunter 38 owners.
The boat has the factory fixed blade prop. I’m thinking of upgrading to the Flexofold prop, but I am wondering how much difference that will make in sailing performance. Anyone with experience in making that upgrade on that boat?
The second upgrade I am considering is getting a cruising spinnaker, and I am wondering if others have any experience with that kind of sail on this kind of boat.
I bought the boat primarily to live aboard when I am in NY, but sailing performance is not an inconsequential piece of the equation for me, so any thoughts people have on ways to maximize sailing performance are much appreciated.
Hi, i have a Hunter 380 01 and live on the Chesapeake Bay. i often sale in 25 know N.E. winds and waves 3+ foot. The boat is not normally a wet boat but you can expect some over the bow spray with winds like that. i have even sailed on a broad reach of 35 knots with only 6 foot of main out and that is a hell of a ride. As for A sale, i have sailed on friends boat where we used the A sail and have often considered it. the 380 is not a down wind or light wind boat so an A sail would improve your performance greatly. Best of luck ! Bill Small

Apr 3, 2017
Hunter 380 Norfolk, VA
Hi, i have a Hunter 380 01 and live on the Chesapeake Bay. i often sale in 25 know N.E. winds and waves 3+ foot. The boat is not normally a wet boat but you can expect some over the bow spray with winds like that. i have even sailed on a broad reach of 35 knots with only 6 foot of main out and that is a hell of a ride. As for A sale, i have sailed on friends boat where we used the A sail and have often considered it. the 380 is not a down wind or light wind boat so an A sail would improve your performance greatly. Best of luck ! Bill Small
Sorry, forgot to add prop note. i use the 3 blade and like it a lot. it is simple and for me to back into my slip i will back up nearly 100 yards with good speed and control. When sailing i switch to reverse and let the prop spin. Bill

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Sorry, forgot to add prop note. i use the 3 blade and like it a lot. it is simple and for me to back into my slip i will back up nearly 100 yards with good speed and control. When sailing i switch to reverse and let the prop spin. Bill
Did you mean neutral and let the prop spin? It won’t go around well in reverse and if it does its dragging the transmission with it.
Yanmar service bulletin from some years ago strongly stated to leave transmission in neutral and let the prop freewheel to avoid damage to transmission.