Hunter 376 Water Tank Shut Off Access

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Hi all,

A question for the Hunter 376 owners out there....

How/where do you access the tap to the water tank? I can trace the water line from the pump--it travels about 1.5 feet then disappears under the floor that is just below the water heater. I lifted the access panels under the VBerth bed, but the water tank appears to be boxed in. I unscrewed the holly flooring just in front of the VBerth but there is just a fiber glass divot with a stringer through the middle--the water line must run below that fiberglass. I see no sign of the water line under the VBerth sink either....

Am I missing something? Is there an access panel or something that can be unscrewed?

I typically try to blow out the water lines at the connection to the tank then pump anti-freeze through for winterizing. I could do this right at the pump, I suppose, but I'm nervous that there may still be water in the line to the tank.

I suppose I could just dump anti-freeze directly into the water tank, but I hate doing that if I don't have to (saves a lot of flushing in the spring).

Attached is a picture (The water heater is to the left, the grey pipe is the water line from the tank going under the floor. Ignore the valve next to it--that's not attached to anything, it was something left from the PO that is getting tossed).

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
H38 2004 build. If similar setup the water line to the pump leaves the tank at the aft bottom end and then runs to the pump under the galley. There is a valve on tank exit. Picture is sideways (thanks Steve), bleue pipe goes to the right. Access by the storage area under V- berth.

EDIT: There is no tap to empty the tank, just unplug the pipe from the valve, push the plastic ring in before pulling on the pipe, look for Seatech fittings how-to if yours are similar.

Attachments

Last edited:

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
I think I found my shut off (I'll explain the "think" in a moment).

When looking at the vberth there are 4 cubbies, two on top two on the bottom. I found a screwed in access panel in the bottom starboard cubby--exactly where I'd expect the water line to come out of the tank.

I was able to remove one screw, but my screw driver was too long to fit in the space to remove the second screw. I'd already put all my tools away as we were getting ready to leave the boat, so I didn't dig out my stubby screwdriver to confirm--but I'm 98% sure that's the access. I'm heading back up this coming weekend, I'll confirm and snap some pics to add to the thread.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hi all,

Thanks, @senang ! Unfortunately, the 376 set up is a bit different. I'm posting this as resolution/info for some future 376 owner searching the archives for this info.

Here's some pics of the access for the 376. It is in the lower right starboard cubby behind an access panel. There is NOT a shut off on the tank, I may add one at some point in the future IF there is enough space (access is tight). It's interesting--they (Hunter) ran the water line to the port side of the boat where it loops down and under the flooring. From there it loops and then runs the starboard side of the boat where it pops up and connects to the pump. The entire run is NOT visible or accessible (from what I can see)--if there were ever an issue with the line I think it would have to be re-run through a different path (or some holes would need to be cut in the fiberglass under the flooring).

The down side to this set up--the fiberglass under the tank pipe leaks directly to the bottom of the cubby which is abutted against the holly flooring....disconnecting that pipe to drain the tank will mostly flood the cabin sole. I disconnected further down where I could guide the flow a little better, but generally draining this tank and avoiding a flood with out running the pump is currently NOT easy. This time around I just ran my faucets to drain the tank then cleaned up the water that remained when I disconnected the hose from the tank. I'm going to add some tee's next year so that I can connect a hose and drain into the bilge.

Attachments