Hunter 376 Fender Sizing and Positioning

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Hello!

We just purchased a 1996 Hunter 376. We're really excited! Since it's winter, now begins our planning for outfitting the boat in preparation to bring it up Lake Michigan and across Lake Superior to our sailing grounds in the Apostle Islands.

The previous owner left us a couple of fenders, but from what I can see they are in need of replacing/updating.

My experience up to this point is with a Catalina 30 MKII, where the curvature of the hull typically had us lining up fenders quite close together mid-ships. I typically line up three 8x20 Big B fenders all in a row.

From what I can see it looks like the 376 will most likely need fenders spread out a bit further from mid-ship to the stern (the stern stays wide further aft)--but am not sure on "normal" sizing and spacing. Bigger and more can be better, of course, but I also worry about storage.

I'm thinking two Taylor 10x30 "Hull Gard" fenders (probably one at the stern and one just forward of mid-ship, where the hull curves back center) and two Taylor 8.5x27 "Hull Gard" in between. Does this sound right? Or would the 8.5's be under size? Is there space for 4 10x30's?

Thoughts/experiences are appreciated.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Added midship cleats to our boat several years ago, another story. Taylor made fenders come with a lifetime guarantee, another story. So, I place two 8x20 fenders on either side of the midship cleat, which gives our boat plenty of protection for landing and while at the dock and the right size for our boat. Some have difficulty docking, so perhaps more fenders are in order. Once the bow, stern and spring lines have been secured, no need here for more than two fenders, or even larger ones for that matter; FWIW.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Thanks! This is useful info! It sounds like the 8x20would NOT be undersized, I think I'll order up 3 of those.

Dec 25, 2000
Thanks! This is useful info! It sounds like the 8x20would NOT be undersized, I think I'll order up 3 of those.
Most of our fenders come from Taylor Made. One from a garage sale, another discarded by a PO. In each case they leaked; one had a crack in a seam, the other the valve leaked. Taylor Made replaced the one that had a crack in the seam, the other they sent me four new valves, which were very easy to replace and no questions asked. Both have many more years of service life.

Ours have taken quite a beating over the years. Especially when at some distant dock and a strong wind abeam is pushing the 35,000 pound boat against the finger. I always try to buy from quality manufacturers who stand behind their products. I think Defender carries their products.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Next, what to do with them when you leave the dock. They make some wire cages that attach to the pulpit

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Justin_NSA................that's pretty funny.!! We just lay the 2 buoys on the deck since the boat has plenty of walk around space and we rarely leave the cockpit OR stow them in the cabin. If we are flying a spinnaker and crew need to leave the cockpit we leave the buoys on the dock and use our 10 x 30 fenders, which are easily stowed in the aft lazarettes or tied off on the stern rail when not in use leaving and returning to the dock.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We just lay the 2 buoys on the deck since the boat has plenty of walk around space and
I do that, too, but leave them attached to the lower lifeline and just flip 'em over the top lifeline. They stay put.

I'm a singlehander. I figured out how to do more with less a long time ago. The only time I ever bothered to stow them was when I raced with crew.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I do that, too, but leave them attached to the lower lifeline and just flip 'em over the top lifeline. They stay put...............
That's exactly how I stow them...........as it avoid extra handling and easy for myself and crew to manage

Dec 25, 2000
Stow my Taylor Made fenders in a Taylor Made dual fender basket that mounts on the outside of the stern pushpit rails, one on each side. Used to have two West Marine woven synthetic double baskets that finally wore out after several years of use. These new SS baskets work much better, are out of the way and should last the life of the boat.

Fender Baskets.JPG

Fender Baskets2.JPG

Fender Baskets3.JPG

Fender Baskets4.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
A couple of 15and 18" Taylor Made Tuff End Buoys mitigates the boat hitting the dock.

View attachment 190782
When we first bought our H34 in 1985 a new acquaintance, Ted, at the club advised us to buy a couple of the 15 inch round orange fenders. They've given us lots of flexibility and protection over the years. We are able to store them in our aft lazarette or as Stu posted, flip them over the top lifeline while underway. Ted also suggested we loop a line twice through the eye of the fender and secure it to a bronze clip. Then they can be extended down for low docks or pulled up to protect the caprails of the two boats when rafted. Here is a picture of an extra one I have at home that someone gave us when she sold her boat. Note the high and low position.

Comparison.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Allan's Up & down idea is very important.

I use these clips (not the smaller link) that we got in Winchester, OR. Clipped to the lower lifeline they work for docks. Flipped over the upper lifeline they ride on the gunwale for rafting up.

P1010080 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I often am in circular rafts, and have seen that nothing smaller than 10s for MY boat were satisfactory

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Stu Jackson, Is the beer bottle there to indicate the cost you had in acquiring those special Oregon designed clips?