Hunter 340 Asymmetrical Spinnaker Rigging?

May 21, 2018
Hunter 340 San Diego
Hi All, I recently purchased an asymmetrical spinnaker for my H340. Not sure how I'm going to connect it to the boat. The head will connect to the Spin Halyard, but the jury is still out on how to best connect the tack and the clew. Any thoughts?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: @sail sfbay That rig looks pretty good. Will want to be certain you have a adequate connection for the tack at the bow. Light weight lines for the sheets. Be sure the sheets are long enough. I think they are 1.75 to 2 times boat length.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I recommend rigging an adjustable tack line that you can control from the cockpit. You install a block at your tack point, routing the line aft to a winch... make sure your bow roller can handle the upward strain... if that makes you nervous, shackle the block to one of the extra holes in the stem fitting.
The adjustable tack line will allow you to shape the sail to accommodate the various reaching angles. As the Apparent Wind Angle moves forward you'll want to make the sail flatter by putting more tension on the luff with the tack line. When the AWA increases, say above 90 deg you can create a fuller shape by easing the tack line.

I would also suggest you consider building a couple of "tweakers" or "twings".... Here's an article I found whose author may be familiar to most of us. Spinnaker Handling: Twings
I use a twing on sheets of my asymmetric to provide a controllable clew lead angle.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
The head will connect to the Spin Halyard, but the jury is still out on how to best connect the tack and the clew. Any thoughts?
I have a Doyle UPS that came with the boat and a code 3 I bought locally a couple years ago on my 340. I run the sheets through a block on the loop on the back rail to winches I mounted on the coaming. I attach the tack to a homemade bow sprit on the anchor roller. We've had them up in pretty high winds and have had no problem with the sprit tied to the anchor roller. I use twings on the UPS.
"No Drill" Bowsprit

459D9B63-E4EC-48C7-ABA0-5C050D6D3E08.jpeg

02EC56AA-C5AC-4B6C-9363-38787D1903AF.jpeg

Last edited: