"No Drill" Bowsprit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I think I finally got all the kinks worked out of the "no drill" bowsprit. My son and I had a great reach across the bay tonight.Picture 1165.jpg

walana

Jan 17, 2011
Hunter 340 Lake Murray South Carolina
I hae recetnly acquired a 340 and am interested in rigging for an asymetrical. Was yours already rigged with extra winches? What type did you use and how did you rig?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I added winches on the cockpit coaming, but I did use the sail with the cabin top jib sheet winches a few times before I installed extra winches. I installed Lewmar 30's, same as on the cabin top, got them from Defender cheaper than anything I could find on ebay.

The sheets go to blocks on the loops on the stern pulpit, then thru the arch to the winches. I use a twing from the sheet to a small block tied to the middle stanchion block, then back to a clamcleat I installed on the deck edge outside the coaming.

I didn't think the 3 or 4 feet the bowsprit moved the spinnaker tack out would make much of a difference, but it really does.

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 340 St Andrews Bay
Please post more pictures of the sprit and location of the winches.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I've got photos somewhere I took of winches mounted on another 340 with a tape measure in the shot, I will post them when I find them.
My sail is a Doyle UPS, "Utility Power Sail", I think it would be a code 0 or code 2 reacher. We were doing 6.5 to 7 knots in about 13 knots, 60 degrees apparent in this 1 minute youtube from Thursday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMFF5SdUm1U

Attachments

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Selden Spars (makers of Furlex) have a Bow sprit for aftermarket installations. An asymmetrical spinnaker is more like a large genoa rather than a regular symmetrical kite used with a pole off the mast. Since you cannot sail as deep with an asymmetrical as you can with the other (but you can sail much hotter - closer to the wind) you need to get it away from the mainsail, which will partially blanket the spinnaker. The sprit pushes the tack out forward to accomplish this.

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 340 St Andrews Bay
Are both the 340s on youtube yours? One looks over winched and the other over wenched! One has an extra winches on the cabin top (nice to have a winch for main and jib). I noticed you used tweaker blocks on the sheets too. Nice addition. Thanks for posting the pictures..post more if you can.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
It's the same boat in both "youtubes". My son likes to take his friends out on the boat and doesn't quite have the skill and confidence to captain yet. So, sometimes I have to go sailing with college girls in bikinis, darn. I've been meaning to post photos in an album on my profile showing modifications and additions we've made to the boat. Here's another photo showing the location of the winches and the clam cleats I use for the twing lines.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.