Hunter 34 winches

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Hello all. We have a 1986 Hunter 34 and her main winches are in need of replacing. I'm not completely sure if they are original but current winches are Maxwell 25's. My understanding is those are no longer available and we're being told we'll need to move down to the 20's or up to 35's. My questions are:

- Does any one have experience using other winches besides Maxwells on the H34? Any suggestions?
- Assuming we go with the Maxwell's, are the 35's overkill or will the 20's suffice?

The current 25's seem to me to be just enough. Thanks

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
We can offer great deals on Harken Radial, and Lewmar EVO as well as Lewmar Ocean winches, give me a call if you'd like a price quote.

dave
877-932-7245 x116
Mon-Fri, 9-3:30 Pacific

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Thanks Dave. I need to figure out what I need before asking for a quote

We can offer great deals on Harken Radial, and Lewmar EVO as well as Lewmar Ocean winches, give me a call if you'd like a price quote.

dave
877-932-7245 x116
Mon-Fri, 9-3:30 Pacific

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Lewmar evo 40 st are perfect for average cruising.
My old ones worked fine for 31 years until an outdated part failed.
The lewmar 40 evo are great replacements. No tools needed to service which is awesome!!!!
Not complaints from me, again after 31 years.
Unfortunately you miss the boat on west marines buy one get one free last month.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My PO had installed Lewmar 43's forward of the cleat.. They have been great, but have been superseded by the EVO's .. I'd think that 40 ST EVO's would be great.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I installed Lewmar 46ST's on mine. More powerful than the Maxwell's which is needed in windy SF Bay. I actually installed them forward of the Maxwell locations and left the Maxwells in place. I did this because I felt the area around the helm was a bit crowded.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
I installed Lewmar 46ST's on mine. More powerful than the Maxwell's which is needed in windy SF Bay. I actually installed them forward of the Maxwell locations and left the Maxwells in place. I did this because I felt the area around the helm was a bit crowded.
Thanks, I'll explore pricing on those. Curious as to why you would leave the Maxwells on. Do they serve any purpose?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
A new brand will certainly entail new mounting holes, the available base diameter will be key.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
A new brand will certainly entail new mounting holes, the available base diameter will be key.
Yeah, that's the problem. I'm not sure there is enough room left to go up a size but I really don't want to go down.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Better to examine than to guess. Get an online schematic of the new winch in question. They often provide a template that is to scale. You can print it off and then lay it over the hole pattern of your current winch. If not topside, go beneath the deck and see if the bolt pattern matches.

What is it does not match. Simple match which holes that do, then fill in the rest with thickened epoxy. Drill new holes to serve your needs. You'll be done in a day.

The guy who drilled the holes initially did not give as much thought on the subject as you have typing this message on the forum. You have used the winches and if you now "need" a bigger winch so be it.

PS... I think I saw a Harken winch sale BOGO running at WM. Certainly check with @Dave Groshong.