Maxwell 25 winch - part broken during re-rig job

Jun 7, 2015
Hunter 34 St Petersburg
We got our boat back from the re-rigging and found the port winch with a big chunk removed of the top plastic piece - sorry have a photo but my laptop and iPhone are not synching up photos for me to upload on to photo bucket.... It's got sharp edges - and aside from the obvious dangers to our hands, looks like it'll be damaging to our sheets as well. Any suggestions? I looked in the forums and it looks like there may be some spare parts in Australia with Arco. Would I be better off just buying a new winch?

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Self-tailing winches are, IMHO, expensive. I've had Maxwell 25s for some time and really love them. I would write to Arco and get a sense of (1) do they have the parts you need, and (2) what do they cost, including shipping. I've bought some minor winch parts from Arco in the past and was quite satisfied.
As an aside, it sounds like your winch was damaged during re-rigging. Who is responsible for that? May be worth looking into.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Maxwell winches are crap. There, I said it. Not to mention that they are no longer in business. Two words: Ebay and Lewmar, I sucked it up and replaced the Maxwells with a pair of Lewmar 46's from that I got on Ebay and I never looked back. What a difference.