Hunter 34 Starboard side of engine access

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions they have used to get better access to the starboard side of the engine to do maintenance? Especially on the heat exchanger and fuel lift pump? I want to chase down a leak on a fuel return line and possibly replace the fuel lift pump with a new one to stop some weeping around the connections to it. Trying to avoid working blind/with mirrors and contorting my body too much. I've spent enough time upside down in the small hatch from within the quarterberth. :p

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Can you cut an opening and install an access plate? Amazon.com : marine access plate
There actually is one so you can reach the oil dipstick, its a 4 incher, so really only big enough to get your hand in and get the dipstick but not really big enough to reach back with tools to change the fuel lift pump and see what you are doing. Curious if anyone has ever modified that side of the engine covering to make it more accessible, like making the whole panel removeable or something. Its part of a bigger bulkhead that runs down the middle line of the boat from companionway aft.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
drastic move but gives you great access: remove the engine box, it's held together just by screws.
This is probably what will happen. I may try to create a way to do this quickly and leave the "box" portion of the frame in tact though. That way I still have room to hang my fuel separator and the like on that part. But this is exactly the access I'm looking for! Sitting indian style in the galley for work is much nice than the alternatives!

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
having replaced the lift pump, I don't think an access hatch will be useful
I think most was done from above and rear

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
having replaced the lift pump, I don't think an access hatch will be useful
I think most was done from above and rear
Good to know, thanks for posting. I need spend some time with my head down there and a mirror or camera and actually see if that is where its weeping at, but fairly sure.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If you replace the lift pump mounting bolts with studs, things get a whole lot easier .. The dip stick access hole is OK for doing that..

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
On my O’Day 322, I have good engine access from above, and from the STB side of the engine. The port side is up against the wall in my head…

One day I had my circular saw at the boat, was in a cutting mood, and cut a nice access panel to The port side. The cut was clean enough I could put a few fasteners in place and now I have easy access to the starter and other components on the port side of the engine.

Greg

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
Like@Hunter34Austin I plan on making a frame out of what's left of the starboard side of my engine box. PO had already cut a big hole into the panel for previous engine work and didn't cover it. I'll be adding a "hatch/panel" of 1/2 marine ply, covering it with epoxy and glass, insulating the engine side of the panel and attaching to the frame created from the old panel. Looking for fastenings that will provide tooless entry. (any suggestions?). Thinking about doing the same to the port side as well. Also might do same for the walls of the quarter berth which are missing having been removed by past owners.