Which one would you pick, and why?

Hunter 34
upload_2018-5-9_12-21-18.png

C&C 34
upload_2018-5-9_12-22-1.png

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
What???

The Hunter would be better for 4 people that used it in the marina as a small condo. The true dual staterooms give it that honor. ALL C&C of that vintage had an exposed small-to-big quarterberth aft. For all other purposes sailing, looks, and resale, the C&C is a better boat and a better choice.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I'd vote C&C. The aft quarter berth appeals to me. I also prefer the 2 full length settees, so the admiral and I can stretch out on each one while reading, etc.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Not having any idea about either boat, just looking at the line drawings Simon has posted, I like the bottom profile of the C&C and the raked rig better with the straight spreaders better too. The C&C just looks like she would sail better on all points of sail. I would be inclined to choose the CB but the fin looks like the better foil.

-Will (Dragonfly)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
C&C hands down. Better built, better looking, more fun to sail.
If you want a dock queen instead, then get the Hunter.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I am biased since I made that choice many years ago... The H-34 has more room, so if you are going to have guests aboard, more room is good. I had two boys when I bought the boat back in '91,and wanted the extra room.. I know that Hunters don't have stellar build reputations, but I don't find things that are shoddy in the old Courtland Steck designs..(other than the mast support beam water problem) The old 34 is nimble and sails well to her numbers.. I have a buddy who has a C&C 34, so I am not blowing smoke.. I know the PHRF numbers sometimes aren't useful for anything except handicapping, but check that comparison out for a "rough racing" speed handicap..
In warmer climates, the opening ports (9) on the H-34 cool the cabin MUCH better.
EDIT: The C&C was supplied with an Atomic 4 gasoline engine.. they are good engines but the old Yanmar 3GM's that came in most of the H-34's have a much better reputation.. Yup, I helped my friend repower his with diesel.( Some early H-34's had a Westerbeke 4 cylinder diesel)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
I am biased since I made that choice many years ago... The H-34 has more room, so if you are going to have guests aboard, more room is good. I had two boys when I bought the boat back in '91,and wanted the extra room.. I know that Hunters don't have stellar build reputations, but I don't find things that are shoddy in the old Courtland Steck designs..(other than the mast support beam water problem) The old 34 is nimble and sails well to her numbers.. I have a buddy who has a C&C 34, so I am not blowing smoke.. I know the PHRF numbers sometimes aren't useful for anything except handicapping, but check that comparison out for a "rough racing" speed handicap..
In warmer climates, the opening ports (9) on the H-34 cool the cabin MUCH better.
EDIT: The C&C was supplied with an Atomic 4 gasoline engine.. they are good engines but the old Yanmar 3GM's that came in most of the H-34's have a much better reputation.. Yup, I helped my friend repower his with diesel.( Some early H-34's had a Westerbeke 4 cylinder diesel)

Claude brings up some great points.

First, despite its well regarded racing pedigree, the PHRF ratings of the boats are a virtual tie. On the C&C's home court, Lake Ontario rates the two boats 141 to 144. A tie. The C&C probably sails to that better due to wider head-sail choices, but still.

And the interior comments have weight. Later on, designers made MUCH better use of interior space. I had a C&C 35, and while it was incredibly well built, it had the EXACT same layout as the C&C29. And the C&C40 for that matter. One private stateroom in the vee. Terrible use of space.

There is no getting over however that this generation of C&Cs were some of the best looking fiberglass boats built, in the golden age of fiberglass sailboats.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
How about equipment, engine, sails, and so forth? Which boat is better outfitted? Prices?
Well, this discussion raised my curiosity so I looked up the specs on Hunter 34 and C&C 34. Features like engine, tankage, displacement all lean strongly Hunter. C&C 34 reads like a 70's era club racer suitable for an overnight in the cove. Hunter reads like an 80's cruiser/racer with more displacement, more tankage, more engine, more room below, suitable for week long cruises to the Vineyard. Sort of looks like a decision would be a boat by boat thing. An exceptional C&C, clean, kept up, good sail locker, Yanmar diesel, good electronics, might win out on appearance for a single guy or club racer whose spouse has no interest. But against a comparable H34, clean, good sails and electronics, interested spouse, C&C loses.
Sorry guys.
PS: Hunter owner sailed Pearsons against C&Cs for many years. :)

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Having owned a C&C for 20 years, I suppose I'm a bit biased ;-) I raced a centerboard C&C 34 for a couple of years and it really was a great boat. Solid build, sailed very well, easy to handle and the finish below was quite good for that vintage. Comparing these two on the sail calculator http://tomdove.com/sailcalc/sailcalc.html they are almost identical. My guess is they will feel similar under sail except the C&C is a bit lighter with less sail area, could be slightly easier to sail and more nimble but that would also depend on how each boat was set up. The finish and quality of the C&C may be a bit higher but the interior of the Hunter is a more modern design. I'd go C&C, but like I said, I'm biased.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Wow, 2 different design philosophies . Familiar with both boats. H34. Much better interior layout. Cons- leakage under mast step cause compression post problems. Water gets into grid with no way out. Delam in grid. Iron keel is a maintenance headache. Biggest problem is build. Friend had one and it oil canned so bad in 35knots and seaway that it was virtually unsailable. C&C 34 is a bit tender. Interior is small. Cockpit ergonomics suck. Light air performance is great but you need to reef early. Diesel is a big plus. Construction is solid . Boat sweet to sail. Genoa’s are large so loads are big. Look at the size of the primary winches. Club racing-C&C. Light coastal cruising or dock queen- Hunter

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Two boats, two style, two different concepts, two ways of looking at sailing. My choice was based on cruising and gunkholing and in all the 34' boats considered, Hunter and Catalina 34s were the ones I picked because of what I wanted to do. I eventually went with the Hunter as I had had a 28.5 for 7 years so might have been a little prejudiced. Because I sail singlehanded 90% of the time I like the positioning of the winches almost in line with the wheel on the Hunter.
I can't judge the sailing qualities of the C & C 34 but I have had my Hunter 34 since Spring of 2000 and what follows is a rather long-winded opinion. Perhaps someone with a C &C 34 can volonteer the same type of info and help your decision making process.

Hunter 34: Personal feelings after 18 years of ownership

I have had mine since spring of 2000 and logged in close to 30000 miles, twice sailing her solo all the way up North to Labrador, also Magdalen Islands, the East Coast of Canada, as well as down South, from Montreal to Georgetown in the Exumas, Eleuthera, the Abacos and back up to Montreal. Also did numerous trips up the St. Lawrence River to Lake Ontario and back.

The short note is: I am still in love with her. I have the short draft model (4'3") and while I do admit that it does not point as well as the deep draft (5'6"), for the gunkholing that I do it is ideal !

My 34 is an 84 and came with the 3GM30F with 20HP. I replaced that engine with a 3GM30F 27HP a few years ago. I went with a rebuilt unit because it was a simple drop-in, using same shaft and prop. I have been happy with that, but one has to be careful who you get the engine from since all engines are not rebuilt equal LOL. I spin a 15 X 11 3-blade fixed prop and she backs real well. Using prop-walk I can turn her 180° in her own length !

I have taken care of the issues about the compression post and solved it in such a way that it will never be a concern again (see attached). I also installed a windlass because I do a lot of anchoring and got fed-up with the back breaking lifting of the anchor.

Over the years I have also added: GPS, Raymarine ST-60 wind & speed, X-5 autopilot, Garmin Chartplotter, wash-down pump, LED lights, micro-wave oven, 1500W (3000 max) inverter, 400W inverter (for the computer), 100 amps alternator, etc.. I also installed a WEMA fuel gauge, although by keeping a very comprehensive log-book I never needed one. Back in 2003 I installed radar but as of 2015 I took it off since it was no longer functional and I couldn’t get parts to fix it. I eventually went with AIS although of course they do not fulfill the same function.

I have installed a dodger & a bimini, and I have 2 transitions to go from one to the other: one Sunbrella for those hot days when you want shade and one clear plastic that allows me sailing and staying dry even if it rains !

My fridge used to run on 110 AC alone and the insulation is good enough to keep beer cold for better than 3 days. However when it stopped working I replaced with a NovaKool unit, which gave me a small freezer (because I like ice in my drinks !). If running the engine, I can run the 1500W inverter to provide 110 AC to the entire boat (I ran the wire to a plug which gets inserted in the 110 inlet of the boat when needed, i.e. no mistake possible).

The 100 Amps alternator keeps the batteries happy (2 type 31 RV Deep Cycle in parallel and 1 type 31 RV Deep Cycle as spare. Both banks hooked to a Perko switch. If anchored for longer periods, I fire up my Honda 2000 for a few hours and it is more than enough to keep the new fridge charged up.

I have redone the entire upholstery inside, but have kept the small lexan sliding covers for the shelves.

I don't have air conditioning and don't really care since I do more anchoring than marinas. I sleep in the V-berth section because there is more air and I have a wind scoop which I hoist over the bow hatch when anchored. I also have a couple of small fans for these sweltering nights when in marinas. My main beef with this bow section is that I'm short and the bed is real high. Hunter has provided a step to help with the climb, but I'm now past 73 and getting up for a pee-break in the middle of the night is a hassle, particularly on those rare occasions when my wife is there. I do feel like a dog turning around in its litter ! Not enough of an issue however to make me want another boat.

The stern cabin can get hot because it has poor ventilation, particularly if you have been running a long time under engine. While it has a very generous area for 2, the lay-out is not for claustrophobic people. Not a problem for me since I sail solo 90% of the time and use the stern mostly for storage.

It is true that she is tender and has to be reefed early. That however does not slow her down. I generally will sail with full canvas up to about 17 knots (if steady) and then reef. Above 20, I do double-reef and furl in the head sail to balance the boat. I have a Profurl furler set-up with a 130 with a foam-luft. I can furl it in down to about a 95 and still keep a pretty good shape. I also use a telescoping whisker pole occasionally, depending on conditions. In heavier wind (25 - 30) I set the main with 2 reefs and depower the sail by opening it with the traveler keeping it trimmed hard. I also furl the jib more than half. Shape is not has good but in these conditions I don't really care and the boat still sails well.

For real light winds I use an asymmetrical spinnaker (i.e. gennaker, drifter, etc) even when sailing solo. Good from about wind abeam to about 170°. Impossible to sail dead downwind however so I drop the main in real light winds (the 30% swept back spreader do not allow effective DDW opening of the main) and sail 170° then gybe. If I do this solo most sailors ought to be able to with a crew ! She sails well, is very responsive, and forgives a lot of my mistakes ! All boats are hard to turn if not enough wind or speed !

This is a long-winded description but the short version is simple; she is perfect for what I want to do and where I want to do it. Yes a 40 foot boat would be nice for those long trips, but then I could not keep her on the lake that I love for my day outings. And of course the expenses would go along with the size. Every boat is a compromise and I have found the happy compromise for me when I bought my Hunter 34 !

I had also looked at the 31 but decided the 34 had so much more roominess (particularly in the V-berth area) that it was a no-brainer as prices were not all much more expensive.

Above all, if you do decide to put an offer on either one, make sure you make that offer conditional to a survey. And get a surveyor that knows the boat.

Claude

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Above all, if you do decide to put an offer on either one, make sure you make that offer conditional to a survey. And get a surveyor that knows the boat.
Nice write-up Claude. Simon's just bored, he's not buying a boat! ;^)

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Nice write-up Claude. Simon's just bored, he's not buying a boat! ;^)
Thanks ! Wish I had been quick enough to realize that or maybe read it better than diagonally LOL. Ah well if it can help someone it's all good. And I saved it in the computer so if anybody else wants an opinion it'll be ready. Saw your post about the practice. Have a nice season. Ours is put off by flooding. Funny to say there is too much water to go boating ! Reality is water level is too high to install the docks. Launching postponed until 5/28.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Wow again this year high water in your area! We didn't have to wear high rubber boots to step the mast this year!

Feb 13, 2021
Hunter 34 Long Beach
Two boats, two style, two different concepts, two ways of looking at sailing. My choice was based on cruising and gunkholing and in all the 34' boats considered, Hunter and Catalina 34s were the ones I picked because of what I wanted to do. I eventually went with the Hunter as I had had a 28.5 for 7 years so might have been a little prejudiced. Because I sail singlehanded 90% of the time I like the positioning of the winches almost in line with the wheel on the Hunter.
I can't judge the sailing qualities of the C & C 34 but I have had my Hunter 34 since Spring of 2000 and what follows is a rather long-winded opinion. Perhaps someone with a C &C 34 can volonteer the same type of info and help your decision making process.

Hunter 34: Personal feelings after 18 years of ownership
I have had mine since spring of 2000 and logged in close to 30000 miles, twice sailing her solo all the way up North to Labrador, also Magdalen Islands, the East Coast of Canada, as well as down South, from Montreal to Georgetown in the Exumas, Eleuthera, the Abacos and back up to Montreal. Also did numerous trips up the St. Lawrence River to Lake Ontario and back.

The short note is: I am still in love with her. I have the short draft model (4'3") and while I do admit that it does not point as well as the deep draft (5'6"), for the gunkholing that I do it is ideal !

My 34 is an 84 and came with the 3GM30F with 20HP. I replaced that engine with a 3GM30F 27HP a few years ago. I went with a rebuilt unit because it was a simple drop-in, using same shaft and prop. I have been happy with that, but one has to be careful who you get the engine from since all engines are not rebuilt equal LOL. I spin a 15 X 11 3-blade fixed prop and she backs real well. Using prop-walk I can turn her 180° in her own length !

I have taken care of the issues about the compression post and solved it in such a way that it will never be a concern again (see attached). I also installed a windlass because I do a lot of anchoring and got fed-up with the back breaking lifting of the anchor.

Over the years I have also added: GPS, Raymarine ST-60 wind & speed, X-5 autopilot, Garmin Chartplotter, wash-down pump, LED lights, micro-wave oven, 1500W (3000 max) inverter, 400W inverter (for the computer), 100 amps alternator, etc.. I also installed a WEMA fuel gauge, although by keeping a very comprehensive log-book I never needed one. Back in 2003 I installed radar but as of 2015 I took it off since it was no longer functional and I couldn’t get parts to fix it. I eventually went with AIS although of course they do not fulfill the same function.

I have installed a dodger & a bimini, and I have 2 transitions to go from one to the other: one Sunbrella for those hot days when you want shade and one clear plastic that allows me sailing and staying dry even if it rains !

My fridge used to run on 110 AC alone and the insulation is good enough to keep beer cold for better than 3 days. However when it stopped working I replaced with a NovaKool unit, which gave me a small freezer (because I like ice in my drinks !). If running the engine, I can run the 1500W inverter to provide 110 AC to the entire boat (I ran the wire to a plug which gets inserted in the 110 inlet of the boat when needed, i.e. no mistake possible).

The 100 Amps alternator keeps the batteries happy (2 type 31 RV Deep Cycle in parallel and 1 type 31 RV Deep Cycle as spare. Both banks hooked to a Perko switch. If anchored for longer periods, I fire up my Honda 2000 for a few hours and it is more than enough to keep the new fridge charged up.

I have redone the entire upholstery inside, but have kept the small lexan sliding covers for the shelves.

I don't have air conditioning and don't really care since I do more anchoring than marinas. I sleep in the V-berth section because there is more air and I have a wind scoop which I hoist over the bow hatch when anchored. I also have a couple of small fans for these sweltering nights when in marinas. My main beef with this bow section is that I'm short and the bed is real high. Hunter has provided a step to help with the climb, but I'm now past 73 and getting up for a pee-break in the middle of the night is a hassle, particularly on those rare occasions when my wife is there. I do feel like a dog turning around in its litter ! Not enough of an issue however to make me want another boat.

The stern cabin can get hot because it has poor ventilation, particularly if you have been running a long time under engine. While it has a very generous area for 2, the lay-out is not for claustrophobic people. Not a problem for me since I sail solo 90% of the time and use the stern mostly for storage.

It is true that she is tender and has to be reefed early. That however does not slow her down. I generally will sail with full canvas up to about 17 knots (if steady) and then reef. Above 20, I do double-reef and furl in the head sail to balance the boat. I have a Profurl furler set-up with a 130 with a foam-luft. I can furl it in down to about a 95 and still keep a pretty good shape. I also use a telescoping whisker pole occasionally, depending on conditions. In heavier wind (25 - 30) I set the main with 2 reefs and depower the sail by opening it with the traveler keeping it trimmed hard. I also furl the jib more than half. Shape is not has good but in these conditions I don't really care and the boat still sails well.

For real light winds I use an asymmetrical spinnaker (i.e. gennaker, drifter, etc) even when sailing solo. Good from about wind abeam to about 170°. Impossible to sail dead downwind however so I drop the main in real light winds (the 30% swept back spreader do not allow effective DDW opening of the main) and sail 170° then gybe. If I do this solo most sailors ought to be able to with a crew ! She sails well, is very responsive, and forgives a lot of my mistakes ! All boats are hard to turn if not enough wind or speed !

This is a long-winded description but the short version is simple; she is perfect for what I want to do and where I want to do it. Yes a 40 foot boat would be nice for those long trips, but then I could not keep her on the lake that I love for my day outings. And of course the expenses would go along with the size. Every boat is a compromise and I have found the happy compromise for me when I bought my Hunter 34 !

I had also looked at the 31 but decided the 34 had so much more roominess (particularly in the V-berth area) that it was a no-brainer as prices were not all much more expensive.

Claude
Thank you very much for your well thought out file on the compression post replacement. I’ve had my Hunter 34 for 2 years and it’s time for her first haul out. Sanding and Bottom Paint...but wanted to tackle the post as well. Yours is not only the best I’ve read, but I love that your solution includes keeping the original Teak case. The previous owner had the USCG registration number modestly carved into it....and it grew on me. I’m still a rookie, but your write up gave me the confidence I need to tackle this.
Thanks again!
PS, I never tire of hearing from elites like you that have rocked the H34 for awhile and are still happy with it, so thanks for that too.