Hunter 34, bilge questions

Sep 12, 2020
N/A n/a Casco Bay, Maine
Hello,

New member here, but long time reader. I'm looking at an '85 Hunter 34 tomorrow. It had a leak (sink drain or something) and accumulated about 2' of water inside the boat before it was pumped out and hauled, the water was in the boat for about a day. Naturally, all the wood below the 2' mark is shot, it got up to the motor mounts, but didn't flood the motor and it is fine... Supposedly it's just wood that's been affected, as there probably isn't much electrical that low in the boat.

The boat looks to be in good shape otherwise and has some attractive recent upgrades. Here is my concern, I know these boats have some sort of double hull/ stringer system that is pretty unique of the time, and I have read of water ending up in places that it's hard to get out (between the layers?). Since the boat was flooded, water was everywhere, would this bilge system hold water in places that it couldn't be drained? My concern is that it may all check out ok now, but when it freezes bad things could happen if there is water in between the skins or in the stringer system. I can't seem to find any good details of the hull design so I'm hoping someone on here has knowledge and can let me know if there is room to be concerned. The price of the boat greatly reflects the damage and it would be a doable winter project, but I don't want structural issues caused by water ingress.

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I don't know about a Hunter 34 but my Beneteau has a lot of wiring very low inside the boat.

My boat has places that won't drain into the bilge unless the boat is heeled. I can drill a few holes and improve that.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I think most (if not all) production boats that use a hull liner (including my 1988 O’Day 322 ) have this issue (or potential).

Not a reason I would exclude a boat.

Greg

Sep 12, 2020
N/A n/a Casco Bay, Maine
I think most (if not all) production boats that use a hull liner (including my 1988 O’Day 322 ) have this issue (or potential).

Not a reason I would exclude a boat.

Greg
I wouldn't exclude a non-flooded boat because of the liner, but I think it may be extra cause for concern in this circumstance? Maybe simply drilling some weep holes in the "false bilge" (if not already done) would be all that's needed to insure there isn't a pile of water hanging out in there, idk?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
it will eventually dry. Put an electric heater in the boat to dry it out. The main issue is the damage to the wood Including the compression post possibly.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree The hollow grid beams have limber holes for drainage and pipes and a few wires.. Attached is the center section of the boat showing the limber holes.. One of the forum members' boats.. sorry I don't remember who..
H34%20Salon%20interior%20removed.jpg

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
If so inclined after purchase you could cut open false bilge area in the H34. Here is a link to a previous post on H34. Also search forum for replacing cabin sole on mid 80s model.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
As per Klaudie the limber holes should let the water flow back down to the bilge area so only the floors would be a concern. Big job however as the settees have to be removed.
As per jmce1587 the false bilg issue would be a good thing to investigate as you are in a freezing area and water in that false bilge could cause damage. Several posts on this issue. attached is how I addressed the situation.
What worries come from your statement: ''It had a leak (sink drain or something) and accumulated about 2' of water inside the boat.'' If you really meant 2 feet, then chances are water could have been higher than the motor mounts. And of course the bottom part of the cabinets sides, bulkheads and settees would have also ingested water. The inside of the settees and the inside of the cabinet holding the galley sink are not varnished therefore if water got to that level there should be water marks showing. Good luck

Attachments

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
the wiring for the mast goes up the compression post and the connections for the radio and lights may be that low for that boat

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
The main wiring down that low is to the bilge pump and shower sump. Those connections are supposed to be water proofed. The wires for the mast enter the compression post at the bottom, but there are no connectors down there. They are up inside the mast above the deck. The only other connections are to the battery selector switch and where the main panel ground attaches to the engine block. Check that one in case water has wicked up inside the insulation. Same for the engine wiring harness. Otherwise, if it wasn't completely submerged past the batteries, it should be ok.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
I passed on the boat, I was going to buy it but there we some issues with unpaid marina bills and I found a nice O'Day 322 to buy instead...
If you haven't already bought the O'Day (great boats by the way), you might ask the marina if they have a mechanic's lien on the H34 and see if they would sell you the boat for their cost. Might be more trouble than its worth too, but could also end up in a really nice deal for you if done correctly.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
as Allen commented most of the wiring that low in the boat is for the bilge and shower sump pumps.
First project should be cut away the false bilge and flush it out. All the fiberglass stringers should have limber holes. I would fabracate a flexible 3-4 foot hose maybe 1/4 inch diameter with lots of pin holes thru it that is caped at the end, and attached it to a garden hose. Use it to spray and flush out everything. Snake this into the limber holes and any place you can get access to.