Hunter 320, 2001 holding tank replacement

Mity

Aug 25, 2011
Bénéteau Océanis 343 2 Montréal, Canada
HI everyone,
after many trial to get rid of bad odor I finally got to the last source, the holding tank!
The tank is smelling very bad and I would like to replace it. I read Peggie Hall's book.
Did anyone replaced his tank? where did you get a new one? did the tank removal went well and did it pass the cabin door?

I heard that Ronco Plastic had over 100 models with unregularly shape. Any other places?
If you do know a place in Canada it would be excellent.....
Thanks to all...

Michel

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'm not sure that replacing the tank will solve your odor problem, The tank is rarely if ever the source of odor INSIDE a boat, 'cuz unless it's leaking, odor from inside the the tank has only one place to go: out the tank vent. Is your tank metal or plastic? If metal, it could be leaking. But plastic tanks don't permeate, so if you smell odor ON the tank, it's almost certain to be residual odor left over from permeated hoses that's attached itself to every surface in the areas those hoses passed through. You don't need a new tank to fix that.
You said, "after many trials to get rid of bad odor..." What have you done so far?

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
I had to replace my tank on my 2003 Hunter 326. It was located starboard side aft, the tank actually had a crack seeping where they rotomolded the discharge hose for the macerator. I purchased the tank through this site, it was cheaper than going to the manufacture direct. Check your tank for leaks, is the vent hose secured properly? If you have a leak you'll have some runoff coming down either the center or starboard aft compartments.
Now the bad news, the will fit through the cabin door but only after you remove the aft angled wall of the head. It took two days just to do this portion of the job, and another two to reinstall. You also need to remove the trim around the cabin door. Otherwise you can't turn the tank at the proper angle to remove and install the new one. Options I was contemplating was a smaller tank because the OEM is shaped to contour to the hull, but it would have been only 10 gal.

So if it's not leaking don't replace it!! I used purple dye to confirm it was leaking. Every hose in the system first.
I now put 1-2 gal of water through the head when we're not going to be on the boat for a few days. It's 15' of hose from the head to the tank with a 2' lift in the end.

Good luck either way!

Mity

Aug 25, 2011
thanks for your quick replies.

Peggie, it is in plastic, I replaced all the hoses, wash the tank, cleaned and disinfected the tank (in and out), bilge and more. Everything is dry. I also tried the Pureayre product with no luck, odor still present. I smelled the tank (put my nose on it) and it does smell. When I open the aft compartment you can 'smell' that this is what the boat is smelling....most of the time since depending on the wind direction the smell might not be present. Sometime in the main bedroom you just can't sleep in it, smell too much. My wife (who has a better odor detection then me :)) confirmed that what we have as an odor inside the cabin and bedroom is the same as where the holding thank is. I also tried many vaporization of different odors to see if I could change that 'residual' odor, again, no luck. Our guess was that the only thing I didn't do yet was to change the tank:wahwah:....not something I really would like to do....but if nothing else work.

Mity

Aug 25, 2011
Hi, yes i did. I cleaned with Sprey nine. Wash and rinse everything. Let everything dry and then applied the marine grade Pureayre, I did not dilute it and let it dry.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
We need to have some one-on-one conversation to find out what you've missed...'cuz PureAyre works UNLESS you've failed to remove all the SOURCE of the odor. And I'm not willing to concede yet that your tank has permeated. So how 'bout send me a PM and we'll figure out a good time to talk.

Mity

Aug 25, 2011
Just to avoid any misinterpretation on Pureayre. I did try this product at other places and it worked great. I might have missed the source of odor and I am really trying to find it. My guess is that if Pureayre do not work, this would mean that the source is still present so it can not remove the residual odor.....

Peggie, I sent you a PM. Thanks.

KJRETLAW, thanks for your information about removing the tank.

Michel

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes sounds premature to have to remove the tank if it is not leaking. We had a foul odor in our boat for a while and it was due a partial clog in the discharge line. No more toilet paper in the system from then on.

Mity

Aug 25, 2011
Thanks Benny, I replaced the entire line from the toilet, replaced the vent and also everything connected to the macerator. What we d o not understand is that sometime there is no odor...then we do not use the toilet at all and the odor will just 'show up'....other times, we use the toilet and no odor, ever, for that day....I will continue looking!
Thanks to all....

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
What we d o not understand is that sometime there is no odor...then we do not use the toilet at all and the odor will just 'show up'....other times, we use the toilet and no odor, ever, for that day....I will continue looking!
Not all boat odors originate in the head!! :)

We had a foul odor in our boat for a while and it was due a partial clog in the discharge line. No more toilet paper in the system from then on.
That's not the answer, Benny. You'll have no problem flushing quick-dissolve TP if you use more flush water. That may require using a cup to add water to the bowl ahead of use, especially solids.

Mity

Aug 25, 2011
HI, I had a good conversation with Peggie today and will be trying her recommandations in the next few days.....more to come!

thanks for the support!

Michel