Hunter 290 leak in aft berth stern corners

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Yeah, plenty. Water came in by the bucketful in my 1996 Catalina 28 until I found the source of the leak. Obviously, there's no single place a given boat is going to leak.

When I got my 2014 Catalina three years ago, I was bummed that there was water staining on the aft bulkhead. What I discovered though, is that there was no leak. The boat came with fitted mattresses that have vinyl bottoms. Condensation develops between the mattress bottoms and the fiberglass they sit on, and gradually makes it's way to the bulkhead. The cushions in my 28 did that too. One would think that they'd learn this is a problem, but nooooo. The solution is to remove the offending cushions or put some sort of expensive dry bunk product under the cushions.

So the moral of the story is, before you spend too much time finding the leak, eliminate the possibility that it's condensation from the cushions. Of course, it's probably coming from condensation and a leak.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
There is a product called Hypervent that is great for dealing with condensation under cushions.
I know of several boat owners, including myself, who have used it and find no moisture.
It's a little pricey, but cheaper than replacing bulkheads or cushions!
Link:

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
My 306 (near identical twin of the 290) came with the same rotted panels in the aft cabin. I'm still not entirely sure where the water is coming from, but just last week noticed that the top of the aft-most cushion was wet. The previous owner was kind enough to pull off the trim pieces from the center panel, so it's now removable. After removing the center panel I noticed that there was water collecting above the hard overhead panel which appeared to be the source of water.

I had recently washed the boat and there was a fair amount of rain, but to my thinking the likely culprits are the cabling from the helm above or possibly from the arch. But another source of water that should strike fear into any god-fearing 290/306 owner's heart is from the aft rub rail. @jaysweet had an epic Rub Rail Adventure disassembling the aft rub rail and cleaning out and resealing the hull-to-deck seam.

Once you rule out the mattress condensation suggested above, you might try the leaf blower technique suggested by @kappykaplan . One of these days I'm going to get around to trying this myself.

Good luck, and please include an update if/when you find out where the water is coming from.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Colin, I think siamese got it. From your two photos, there seems to be no evidence of a leak from above, rather just from lack of air and ventilation where cushions or a mattress were tight against that bulkhead.

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
thanks all, leaving it for a week with cushions off to see what turns up. In the Toronto area of Lake Ontario and there is rain forcast so will see ...appreciate the help as the boat it new to me.
Colin

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
without the matress's and still h2o...the port side hull vinyl wall covering was wet at the bottom mostly toward the locker. there was also a slight drip from one of the bolts from something in the cockpit, found by taking the overhead light panel out in aft berth. Does not seem to be wet from fixed window in that area....might have to take locker out to see if wet behind. forward of this is the galley........
Colin

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
took the aft teak bulkhead off and no evidence of leaks from fuel, waste tank or from any of the mechanics around there. Going to try some water with food coloring on outside of ports, fittings etc to see what comes through. Plan on trying the leaf blower pressurize trick to see what that shows.and the talcum powder tracing...Also have discovered a very slight drip from V berth roof hatch. Thats seems to be it for the leaks to fix this off season...lol..any other ideas or experience from others much appreciated..
thanks again
Colin

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
Glad to hear the aft tankage space looks good. That spot by the hanging locker is a bit of a surprise though. Hard to visualize exactly without being there, but obviously all the port-side deck hardware would be suspect. Sounds like you'll be pulling out all the stops to track it down, and that's downright inspiring!

For what it's worth, my forward hatch was also a little leaky so I cleaned it up and smeared on a little silicone grease. It's been dry ever since.

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
I didn’t need to remove the hatch. It was just the black rubber gasket which was dirty and dry. So just a little warm water, dish soap and a rag. After it dried I followed up with the silicone grease. I’ve been surprised at how well the silicone grease has held up.

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
thanks, will give it a try...also just found out that talcum powder is banned now so not sure if anyone is using something else to trace the water?
thanks
Colin

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
You could try cornstarch baby powder. Another technique is to use pieces of paper. Whether it's a tissue, paper towel, shop towel, newspaper, ruled paper, etc. Once wet they will change appearance even after they've dried. But if the leak is coming from above the headliner, you might be better off with the leaf blower test as opposed to pulling down the headliner.