Hunter 29.5 or Catalina 30?

Jun 11, 2020
Hunter 29.5 Northport
Ok, I know this is a loaded question but looking to get into a 30' boat (up from a Catalina 25) and looking at a '94 Hunter 29.5 vs. several early 80's Catalina 30s. Both are similarly priced.

Mostly day sailing on Long Island Sound with occasional 2-3 day overnights. Boat shared by two families with 3 kids each.

After all of my research, my feeling is that they are similar build quality with slight trade offs. Hunter is obviously 10 years newer and with that comes a slightly updated layout and amenities. But Catalina 30 is a classic.

Catalina 30 seems a bit more "trucky" with 10,200 of displacement (+ 4,200 of ballast) vs Hunter's 7,500 (+2,680 of ballast). Therefore, seems C30 would push through a sea better and handle a blow better. But Hunter owners seem to think the 29.5 (or 30 for that matter) handles fine with a reef in.

PHRF on the C30 is about 180 compared to Hunter's 189. I would think with that much less displacement and ballast the Hunter would be faster.

Anyway, what are your thoughts. Is this basically a Ford/Chevy thing?

-Kyle

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It's apples and oranges in my opinion. A Hunter 30 like mine or the older Cherubinis would be a more fair comparison to a C30. It depends on what kind of sailing you want to do. The lighter 29.5 may suit you. As a rule, I prefer to go newer everything else being equal

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The Cat has a much more traditional canoe hull, and probably a deeper keel. That accounts for the better PHRF numbers, which is really a function of Pure upwind and downwind speed. The Hunter is newer, has a more modern sail plan, and is more space efficient both inside and outside, some say to the extreme. This obsessive focus contributes to a non-traditional look that many purists find objectionable.

Know whats more important to you , and the choice will be easy.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I sail a 29.5 in SW Florida. I can't speak to the Catalina 30. For sheer comfort at anchor and sailing in most conditions it is extremely comforable and dry. I have a full bimini and dodger which helps with the comfort factor. I have inmast furling (custom) and traveler on the roof top. Below decks is where the design shines. Tons of room. We replace the cushions in the aft berth with 8 inch memory foam for a better nights sleep. The v berth is also comfortable.

We have been through several hurricanes many Tstorms and one lightening strike (maybe 2) and never really felt in danger.. We have and AC unit and a large 3 bank battery set up. A 100W solar panels keeps the fridge humming along. We have owned the boat for over 10 years and still glad we bought it. Our longest time cruising was 23 days doing coastal cruising from home across tha caloosahatchee, lake O south down Floridas east coast to the keys and back home up the other coast.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Justin has hit the bullseye. Do you like orange juice or apple juice? The two boats are quite different. The layout below on the Hunter is essentially one big camping tent, albeit with an enclosed head off to the side. Are the kids going to take turns changing into pj's while everyone else gets bitten by bugs up on deck? Girls then boys? Parents change in the head? Then there is nowhere to stow anything. Where are you going to put food for five people, along with their gear (don't forget foul weather gear, just in case!) for a 2-3 day weekend? How are you going to cook meals (for five) on a non-pressurized alcohol stove? (How long can you wait for coffee in the morning?) Even a pressurized alcohol stove would call for restaurant meals (for five) several times a weekend. That calls, of course, for a dinghy to get to shore in. Do you put it on the foredeck underway? Then there's REALLY no room for a kid up there. The Hunter does have a great walk-through transom, if you like swimming off the transom. The cockpit seems to be big enough, but is there a lot of space for lounging out on deck for kids who want their own space? The side decks appear narrow, the foredeck short and broken up by the forward hatch (or dinghy). On top of these attributes, the Hunter is slow.
The Catalina does not have a walk-through transom. People have used transom-mounted ladders successfully for a long time. The cockpit is ample for six grownups to lounge in. There's room for catbird seats too, in the corners of the stern pulpit. There are wide side decks, cabin top and foredeck for those who don't want to discuss parental issues in the cockpit. Below there are big spaces (some with doors!) for privacy. There are big spaces for food stowage. There are big spaces for equipment. There are big spaces for gear. There are big spaces for sleeping. There's a big icebox. A big enough galley. And the Catalina is faster.
We bought our boat with partners too. We went for the biggest one we could reasonably afford so that there would be room for the different people aboard to each do their thing. In this instance, the Catalina is the bigger boat, and seems to fit the needs of your group the best. We've had our boat - and partners - for more than twenty years now. Getting the right boat helps.

Last edited:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Just found this in the photo contest. Do you want to go camping or cruising?
EAUROUGE.jpeg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
There is certainly something to be said about newer...but you need th look at both boats (even photos help) to get an idea what each boat brings and what you find important.

I owned a 1996 Hunter 280. Very clean condition, sailed nicely with a 5 foot fin keel, had a great cockpit. But also lots of plastic, no teak, not much of a galley, pretty open cabin ( not much privacy). 7,000 pounds displacement IIRC. B&R fractional rig.

I now own a 1988 O’Day 322...certainly apples and oranges. 10,000 pound displacement, 10 years older, a boat with more character, more upkeep required. Cockpit is good for 2 or 3 (I single hand a lot), more sail with mast-head rig. This boat feels much more substantial. Full galley, 2 private cabins, and some character.

The Hunter was a great first boat. I learned a lot about sailing, boat systems, etc. Maintenance was not bad.

But I really enjoy the be,ow-deck space on the O’Day 322 and the more substantial feel when I am sailing solo in 25 knots on Lake Michigan.

So, I think both boats are perfect, depending on what you are looking for and want in a boat. As others have said, if you can spend a little time on each one, I bet one of them will speak to you. I did that when I was considering a MacGregor 26M before buying the Hunter...glad I sailed one before making that purchase.

Good luck with your decision.

Greg