Hunter 28 Seacock "Patch"

May 10, 2021
Hunter 28 Kemah
I just bought my first sailboat, a 1990 Hunter 28. Survey went well but one of the issues identified that would require a haul out to repair was the seacock below the galley sink has a broken valve in the open position. The surveyor mentioned I could remove the sink drain line above the valve and add a new temporary valve to the valve that attaches to the through hole until I can do a haul out and replace the seacock entirely. I figured that meant the top of the seacock is above the water line but I really am not positive. When I tried to remove the very tight fitting hose I saw some water dribbling out so I put the hose clamps back on and stopped. Wondering if this is a good way to repair this or should I wait and haul it out. My experience with working on old boats is when you take something apart you typically break a few new things that you were fixing and since I am putting pressure on a seacock I am a bit uneasy about this seemingly simple patch job. If I plug the thru hull on the underside of the boat am I pretty safe to try and attach a temporary ball valve to the top of the sea cock? Or is that unnecessary? Trying to avoid a haul out now if I can as I need to do a few other things when I do that and was hoping to put that off until the end of the season. I appreciate everyone help. The attached pic is from the survey so the thru hole is one of the 2 circled but not sure which one.

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
One is above the WL so no problem there. Just pour something down the sink to see which.

Replacing a seacock can be done in the water but it’s easier and safer if done at haul out since the thruhull can twist if you dont hold it while turning the seacock. Ideally, it should have been done during the survey by the owner. Putting it off risks a failure

May 10, 2021
Hunter 28 Kemah
One is above the WL so no problem there. Just pour something down the sink to see which.

Replacing a seacock can be done in the water but it’s easier and safer if done at haul out since the thru hull can twist if you don't hold it while turning the seacock. Ideally, it should have been done during the survey by the owner. Putting it off risks a failure
The old owner didn't realize the issue existed, we found it during the survey. The boat was a really good deal but it was as is so I paid a surveyor to asses the condition to assure I wasn't missing anything.

The bathroom sink drains to a thru hole above the water line but the galley sink drains below the water line. So the malfunctioning valve is the one that attaches to the thru hull below the water line. My thought is if the top of that seacock is below the water line, when I remove the hose water is going to come in the boat until I put it back or plug it. I was thinking I could possibly plug the thru hole under the boat though while attaching a new valve. I wouldn't attempt to replace the seacock while in the water since I have never done that before. I am pretty sure I would sink the boat in the slip or be putting to the boat yard with a plug. lol

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Replacing a seacock can be done in the water but it’s easier and safer if done at haul out since the thruhull can twist if you dont hold it while turning the seacock.
I'm with @Don S/V ILLusion 100% on this. You DO NOT want to be heaving and hauling on a thru hull while in the water. You may find yourself getting pissed off to the point where just "a little more #^$%&*^ torque" will break this thread but something else breaks instead.

BUT, I think your risk is minimal if the valve and hose are solid and should last until your next haul out.

Do you know what is broken in the valve that keeps it from closing ? Jammed open - no big deal. Broken stem - meh, maybe yes maybe no depending on the O ring. Big hole in the valve - man the pumps :yikes: !

May 10, 2021
Hunter 28 Kemah
BUT, I think your risk is minimal if the valve and hose are solid and should last until your next haul out.

Do you know what is broken in the valve that keeps it from closing ? Jammed open - no big deal. Broken stem - meh, maybe yes maybe no depending on the O ring. Big hole in the valve - man the pumps :yikes: !
The hose is in good shape. The lever that turns the valve spins freely and is heavily corroded. If the stem is what connects the lever to the shutoff then I suspect that is what is broken. The valve doesn't have any leaks so the surveyor said a temporary fix would be attaching another ball valve to the top of that valve so you have the ability to shut off water from coming in. That said, exactly what you talk about is my concern. Heaving on that has the potential to create a leak that isn't there or break something. I am attaching a photo, it isn't pretty. lol

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Yipes :yikes:, I wish you hadn't shown me that picture. I still see it every time I close my eyes.

But as you say, it's mostly dirty and not heavily damaged. It's most likely that the stem has been over-torqued in an attempt to open the jammed valve. If there's no leakage now, very unlikely it will start in a big way.

Looking at its lousy location, I would classify the removal in the water as a very high risk project. I would classify leaving it alone until haul out as very low risk. If you are planning a haul out at the end of this season and not the usual zinc replacement and underwater repairs next spring, I think you are looking at near "0" risk.

No harm in looking at it every now and then just to prove yourself right.

May 10, 2021
Hunter 28 Kemah
So just to assure we are on the same page, I am NOT considering changing this valve in the water. I am merely wanting to add a valve on top of this valve so it is in compliance with having a shut off valve and then when I do the haul out at the end of the season I will definitely replace it. My main concern was if the valve extends below the water line, as soon as I remove that hose, if I didn't have the thru hole plugged (I am not sure which hole it is) it would start taking water. Just wondering if that kind of patch is risky or if I should just plan to haul out now.

I am truly ashamed to post such a dirty pic. lol, this poor girl hasn't had any love in a while. I spent the my first weekend here cleaning her up but didn't get into those kinds of details yet though. She needs a lot of TLC but I will get her back to being a hot babe again. :) I appreciate all the fast responses.

Jan 4, 2006
I am NOT considering changing this valve in the water. I am merely wanting to add a valve on top
I would consider adding a valve on top to be a little less risky venture but still not worth it. You still have to remove the hose to iron pipe adapter which may result some excessive torque.

From what you have described, I cannot see any unpleasant outcome from not touching the valve if everything else is solid. Sure, you're not 100% compliant with the rules and regs but I think (hope) the sea gods will overlook this shortcoming just this once.

May 10, 2021
Hunter 28 Kemah
I would consider adding a valve on top to be a little less risky venture but still not worth it. You still have to remove the hose to iron pipe adapter which may result some excessive torque.

From what you have described, I cannot see any unpleasant outcome from not touching the valve if everything else is solid. Sure, you're not 100% compliant with the rules and regs but I think (hope) the sea gods will overlook this shortcoming just this once.
I appreciate the advice. That was kind of the conclusion I came to after pulling the hose clamps and realizing I had to unscrew that hose bib. I will pray hard to the sea gods to have mercy on me. Since I am new I am not going very far at the moment anyhow. Everything is basically a sea trial this season.

AndyBC

Dec 31, 2020
Catalina 34 1218 Vancouver
Congrats on the purchase! I bought my 91 Hunter 28 just 5 months ago. 3 of the 4 seacocks were solid on mine. The 4th one, the waste discharge in the aft lazarette, was stuck so I had that replaced with a brand new one (out of the water). I spent the last several months fixing her up and lots of cleaning and elbow grease! The only major thing left to do is the Seaward water heater - it is leaking in one corner - but it still works well otherwise. I'm just going to enjoy the boat and replace that at the end of the season. How's the rest of your boat, everything else in good shape?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Pretty ugly, and that hose should be replaced at the same time.

if you don’t do it now, keep some sort of plug handy and near the valve should the hose or something give way ....you won’t be able to close the valve, so you need another way to stem the flow until you can get hauled out.

something like this maybe...and some wood plugs.

Greg

May 10, 2021
Hunter 28 Kemah
Pretty ugly, and that hose should be replaced at the same time.

if you don’t do it now, keep some sort of plug handy and near the valve should the hose or something give way ....you won’t be able to close the valve, so you need another way to stem the flow until you can get hauled out.

something like this maybe...and some wood plugs.

Greg
That is my exact backup plan. Don't feel it is an issue in port but will keep a close eye on things under way. I have a knife handy and if the line ruptures I'll cut it and plug it and then will be hauling her out a bit earlier. I appreciate everyone's sound advice.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Maybe put some kind of water alarm next to it so you (or your marina neighbors) get an early warning if anything goes wrong with it. As a temporary measure until your next scheduled haul out a cheap battery powered household alarm might be adequate.