Hunter 28.5 Mainsail Tack Shackle

Sep 7, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Baltimore, MD
Hello, We recently purchased a 1987 h285 and I believe I may be missing a shackle to connect the tack of the mainsail to the boom. I reached out to the Hunter parts store customer service and they agreed I may be missing something and pointed me to the forum to verify exactly what I need. Can anyone please verify if I am in fact missing something and if so, what I need to connect the mainsail to the boom. Thanks!

Attachments

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I think all you need is a simple "D" ring shackle like one these:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
That looks like a reef point. The ring at the reef point just hooks on the hook like you are showing if I am seeing it correctly.

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
As Warren said, you need a shackle. I'm not sure if I can see it in the picture, but there should be a hole in the top of the gooseneck pivot pin for the pin of the shackle. The shackles on my boats have had fairly large bails, if that's what you call the hoop bit.

Paul

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I don't have your boat, but what holds the vertical pin on the gooseneck from falling out? If the other end of that pin has some sort of head, I wonder if it might be inserted upside down?

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
it looks like there should be a pretty long shackle there. As Paul said, there should be a hole in that pin through which you put the pin of the shackle. If this is the case you may need three hands to keep it all together (and from falling overboard). The attached picture is from a Catalina, but the gooseneck looks very similar.
upload_2016-9-10_23-10-28.png

Marek

Sep 7, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Baltimore, MD
Thank you for the replies here is what I came up with based on Warrens post. Should I pickup one with longer bails as some have suggested or will this be sufficient?

Attachments