Hunter 28.5 2GM20 exhaust soot in bilge

Feb 13, 2023
Hunter 27-2 Milwaukee
My 1988 Hunter 28.5 with the 2GM20 engine has black sooty water collecting in the bilge. I also have clean exhaust water collecting under the engine. As far as i can tell the exhaust elbow is not cracked. This is a freshwater boat. the exhaust hoses look original I’m thinking: f it replace the muffler and hoses and exhaust elbow in one shot. I’ve seen posts where the exhaust muffler and fuel tank had some kind of incestuous relationship and exhaust water was getting into the fuel tank. Apparently Hunter had some kind of deal To replace the fuel tank with a plastic one?? Mine looks plastic. Also saw a post where the partition between the engine compartment and the starboard lazarette was removed to facilitate access to exhaust elbow. This will be a fall project on the hard. do I need to replace stock muffler? is there a super duper replacement to be had? Near as i can tell the existing muffler looks like a black kettle

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I'm sorry but your post appears to be one contradiction after another. Could you please answer the following questions so we can help you help yourself :

has black sooty water collecting in the bilge.
What evidence do you have this is exhaust water ? Pictures please.

I also have clean exhaust water collecting under the engine.
What evidence do you have this is exhaust water as opposed to lake cooling water ?

As far as I can tell the exhaust elbow is not cracked.
What have you done to determine if it's leaking or not. If I checked it during operation, it is either leaking or it's NOT leaking. It's not "as far as I can tell" it's not leaking. Pull the elbow and inspect it AFTER you have wrapped it in paper towel. NO, not on the extremely hot riser as there's no water there. Onhte cooled portion.

I’ve seen posts where the exhaust muffler and fuel tank had some kind of incestuous relationship and exhaust water was getting into the fuel tank.
And I've heard that some guy in Kalamazoo has built a perpetual motion machine.
This is crap from the internet and you should be able to determine by your own inspection that there is no way exhaust water could to get into your fuel tank. Unless the engine exhaust line is connected to the fuel tank vent line ? ? ? ? Maybe ?

Also saw a post where the partition between the engine compartment and the starboard lazarette was removed to facilitate access to exhaust elbow.
Are you saying you are having trouble accessing your exhaust mixing elbow ? Is this the reason you are unable to determine if the elbow is leaking ? Pictures and an explanation may go far to helping you with this problem.

do I need to replace stock muffler?
Is there anything wrong with the existing muffler ? If it's leaking, by all means replace it as it's a source of carbon monoxide. If it's based on this idea that the exhaust system is somehow putting exhaust gasses and water into the fuel tank, maybe not the best idea I've ever heard. Maybe save your money for something more useful like investing in the guy with the perpetual motion machine.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I would start the engine and inspect the exhaust path for leaks….maybe the rubber hose is cracked somewhere and this is not as big of a deal as you think. Maybe not even exhaust water at all. Be aware of CO and ventilate the area if possible.

My O’Day 322 (1988) has the same engine. I removed my plastic water-lift muffler once and it had nasty water in it…if the muffler is leaking, that could be the source. But I would think you could find the leak if you inspect with the engine on and water flowing through the system. I have never changed my exhaust elbow (although it is on the list) on my fresh water boat.

I have never heard of the exhaust and fuel tank being ”conjoined”.

On my Hunter 280, there was a panel at the back of the aft berth that could be removed to access the fuel tank and other equipment. Mine was just held in place with screws.

At this point, investigation is your mission…and take photos so we can see what you are dealing with. It certainly helps us understand your situation better.

Greg