Hunter 260 Versus Seaward 26RK

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Thanks, @bmorr ! Yes, I've been looking into the width issue. Here in British Columbia, permits for wide loads look to be a fairly straightforward proposition, but I'm still learning the details. Fortunately, we don't expect every to tow out of province, so as long as I can get a permit here we're okay.

I've seen a few 260s on the road here. I'm guessing a lot of people just skip the permit and count on not getting caught. Might not be the best idea, especially if you have an accident.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The beam is 8’ 11 1/4 inches at the widest part. Looks like a 8 1/2 feet wide but I will not tell. Accidents are determined on who caused the accident, not the width of the boat

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
The beam is 8’ 11 1/4 inches at the widest part. Looks like a 8 1/2 feet wide but I will not tell. Accidents are determined on who caused the accident, not the width of the boat
Plus if you were pulled over, it'd be hard for someone to measure the beam without a very large set of calipers:) I guess they could just look it up though.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
In all my years, I never knew if anyone was ticketed for overwidth. Once when delivering out of state where 8 feet was width limit, I said I was out of state where 8’ 6” was legal which dealer tag indicated so. He said fine. Never asked for actual width

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Hey guys, the issue isn't being ticketed, it's insurance not covering you because your load isn't legal. Here in BC we have a single insurer for liability, meaning they have no incentive whatsoever to turn a blind eye to anything that could allow them to deny a claim.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
In the U S which I would assume in Canada too, it depends on the facts of the accident only. A good example is a boat being rear ended and width had nothing to do with it

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
@Crazy Dave Condon : If your vehicle is in violation of the law the insurer has grounds to not cover you, regardless of the circumstances of the accident. What happens in the accident is irrelevant. You're in breach of contract so they're not legally obligated to cover you. Or, at least, they can make that case, and you will have to sue to be compensated. That's a road I prefer not to go down.

They may have proper insurance in your jurisdiction. In British Columbia, auto liability insurance is a government monopoly. So that's who I'd be fighting. Again, a road that I prefer not to go down.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Tedd
Not sure about Canada but in the US, it is different. Use to be an adjuster and then later an investigator handling litigation successfully for many years before coming a sailboat dealer. Customers included police, judges and politicians. If the width of the boat whether or not permitted is not the cause of an accident, then again liability rests on the facts what actually caused the accident. A good example was a wide load without a proper wide load permit was rear ended by a drunk going too fast. Yes there was a lawsuit which I told the attorney to defend. The jury did not award the plaintiff even though this was not a permitted wide load. The plaintiff simply was very drunk running into a construction trailer at a high rate of speed.

In North Carolina, I use to run wide load in the early morning hours with sailboats on the interstates when it was only 2 lanes and/ or undergoing construction to avoid from being hit by the reckless drivers during day as there was hardly any traffic making it much safer. Generally it was the few professional drivers out there at that time of the night. The police encouraged me to do so.

The cause of any accident depends on the facts and if width was a factor then there is liability. Period

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
@Crazy Dave Condon : Yes, the government monopoly is definitely part of the problem. They're renowned for using any means to deny a claim. With no competition, they have little incentive to do otherwise.