Hunter 260 Hull Crack Below the Water Line

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... blow air into the ballast tank vent hole with a shop vac exhaust, leaf blower, or compressor. .... Have a second person on the outside putting soapy water on the crack to see if you make bubbles.
Brilliant! Much less work than dye in the tank with water.

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Used a small shop vac to pressurize the tank which actually worked perfectly. A+ suggestion!

Good news is no bubbles outside so hopefully this is just a cosmetic repair we can do from the outside.

The crack is directly in line with the first storage compartment to the left of the cooler area. In the event we had to go from the inside - is it safe to go through the floor of that compartment and does the ballast tank extend that far?

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Glad to hear you got some good luck. I'm wondering if a hard spot created by the setee (seat top) against the hull, created the crack.

Jan 19, 2010
Used a small shop vac to pressurize the tank which actually worked perfectly. A+ suggestion!

Good news is no bubbles outside so hopefully this is just a cosmetic repair we can do from the outside.

The crack is directly in line with the first storage compartment to the left of the cooler area. In the event we had to go from the inside - is it safe to go through the floor of that compartment and does the ballast tank extend that far?
I have never done this but I have been told this is also a good way to track down peasky leaks. If you pressurize the entire cabin and splash soapy water over the top of the boat, you supposedly can find leaks around stanchions etc by watching for bubbles.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Pressuring the cabin with a leaf blower and water ballast tank with a vacuum are excellent ideas. The only reason I am careful about mentioning the tank with a vacuum only is that two instances, the owners used a very high pressure hose via the tank route and broke the ballast tank lid seals.

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Crack was repaired today. Good news is it did not go into the fiberglass and was just the gelcoat. Now I just need to figure out bottom paint to go over that area... pretty sure it is Micron 66 blue but hate to have to go spend $300 on a gallon of it, especially when I want to use something else on the next repaint.

Also found a trailer repair place here in Sarasota that had a large enough lift for the boat (Barry's Trailers in Sarasota, FL) and will be having the bunks redone to be closer to the original specifications.

Thank you to everyone for your help! Excited to have this saga come to an end.