Hunter 260 Hull Crack Below the Water Line

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Just bought and refurbished a 2000 Hunter 260 over the course of a month and a half refit. Took our first sail yesterday and had a blast!

Was back today working on the boat today and noticed a crack has developed near one of the trailer bunks on the starboard side.

I can’t tell yet how deep the crack is and plan on sanding down the bottom paint in that area to better get a look at it.

Has anyone else experienced cracking in this area before? Are there any considerations with the water ballast for repairs in this area?

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
That just shouldn't happen unless there has been damage in that area. OR possibly delamination.

Are you able to see the corresponding area inside the hull to see if the crack goes right through ?

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
That just shouldn't happen unless there has been damage in that area. OR possibly delamination.

Are you able to see the corresponding area inside the hull to see if the crack goes right through ?
Unfortunately I couldn't see in that area from the inside of the boat but am going to try again one more time to be sure.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
I’m pretty sure that the ballast tank is on the other side of that so you won’t be able to inspect it without a video snake.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
Maybe you could fill the ballast tank, either by launching or by hose (240 gallons!?!), then letting it sit on the trailer to see if any water seeps out that crack.

But don’t drive any distance or speed that way.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Maybe you could fill the ballast tank, either by launching or by hose (240 gallons!?!), then letting it sit on the trailer to see if any water seeps out that crack.

But don’t drive any distance or speed that way.
good idea... maybe add some dye to make it easy to see.

Best case senario the crack does not go all the way through and you only have to do the outside job. Grind and feather out the damaged glass and put a few layers in. Worse case senario you are looking at a long weekend of repairs. If the crack goes through, you will want to put a "backing" plate of two or three layers of wetted fiberglass matt on the back side of the crack. There are at least two ways of getting a backing plate inside your ballast tank the first requires that you cut an access port (there is another way-- see below). So probably one of those 6" access plates..(8" would be better) to get inside the tank. Once you have the backing plate done... gently grind out and feather the crack from the front and lay in a few layers to get it fair again. There are a few tricks for doing that easy and fast also.

After you have feathered out the cracked area from the outside you will want to make two or three layers of overlaping pieces of wetted cloth. When making the feather'd layers for the outside job... get a pice of plastic sheeting from Lowes or HD and cut out a piece that overlaps the job area. Lay it over the area and trace the shape onto the plastic sheeting using a sharpie. Use that as a template to cut out the first piece of fiberglass cloth. Then cut about three more pieces of cloth each a little smaller than the previous.

Next cut out another piece of plastic sheeting that overlaps the job by about 4" and overlap masking tape around the edges. Wet each piece of fiberglass cloth with epoxy resin and stack them largest to smallest on your plastic sheet. Squeege out the excess resin and take the plastic sheet over to the job and tape it to the hull taking care to line up the pieces of cloth with the faired area. Let the resin set. The plastic sheet will do a good job of creating a smooth job but you will need to do a little sanding, fairing and then barrier coat the area before painting. You will never be able to tell it was cracked.

There is an alternative way to making a backing plate that does not involve cutting an access port. I have done it once before but not on my Hunter. I can walk you through it but it is rather long for a post. I posted some pics to give you an idea of how the job is done without the cutting of the access port...

0928120932.jpg
0928120932a.jpg
0928120945.jpg

0928120957b.jpg
0928122023.jpg

If you need guidance on the making the port or the fiberglass steps, start another post or PM me. There are a lot of us here who have done these jobs.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There is definitely one issue that caused the crack and possibly a second.
Both the 26 and 260 hulls are the same. Dry weight of both without the water ballast is 3000 pounds which total weight is carried by the bunk boards. I know as I was involved with the design of the trailer. Hunter first made the trailers and then Magic Tilt for the 260.
The problem causing the crack is the trailer made by a third party with three supports for the short bunks. It is dangerous and suggest the longer bunk boards like on the Magic Tilt trailer for the 260 be incuporated.
The next issue on the trailer is three supports which should be four supports that are adjustable. The support in one of the photos to the right of the crack is higher dimpling in the hull and I cannot tell if the bottom of that support is adjustable. The dimpling of the hull and short bunk boards caused that crack enroute from OK to California.
The next question is whether or not the crack is below the attachment of the water ballast tank lid. If it is, the style repair will be determined.
As for Rgranger method of repairing a hole without access particularly on catamarans is nothing new. Be glad to describe that later during the winter as there are a few tricks but someone needs to remind me in November as I am dealing with the FAA as it matters to me military pilots lives are at stake.
So for now it is recommended the boat come off the trailer for now to keep the hull from being further damaged. Will be working with the owner on this one.

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
@rgranger and @Crazy Dave Condon + @twistedskipper, thanks so much for the extensive feedback on this!

I'm getting a fiberglass guy to come and look at the boat on Saturday. I've done some fiberglass work in the past, but below the water line I like the peace of mind of someone else doing the work!

My plan right now is to repair the crack, drop the boat in the water right away this weekend, and then have the trailer bunks rebuilt per Dave's recommendations to get this closer to the original Magic Tilt design. I'll let everyone know how it goes...

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Very helpful, @twalker H260!

I'm trying to find a trailer guy now. The big challenge is most in this area don't have slings to lift the boats. They want lifting rings installed in the deck which I'm not in love with.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you run into a bind, you can rent a boom truck for about $200/day. Use heavy cargo tow straps and tie them together (so they don't slip) under the hull and lift her off the trailer. Pull out the trailer and set the boat down on some padded cinderblocks while you fix the trailer. You would want to time the trailer fix so you can get it all done in one day.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
One thing you might try while on the trailer is to close the bottom ballast valve and blow air into the ballast tank vent hole with a shop vac exhaust, leaf blower, or compressor. Don't need to pressure it up much. Have a second person on the outside putting soapy water on the crack to see if you make bubbles. If no bubbles, either the crack is below the tank lid and does not fully penetrate the hull, or is above the tank. To rule out one of these possibilities, you can try pressuring up the whole cabin with a shop vac or leaf blower, like when looking for deck leaks.

• Helpful