Hunter 260 Forestay Tension with Furler

May 9, 2021
Hunter 260 Payette Lake
I have a 2002 Hunter 260, and I have sailed it for one season. Since it sits on a single lake all season, I have really only rigged it myself once. The previous owner did take the time, however, to show me how to rig it and that was very helpful. It has a roller furling jib, which I quite appreciate, however there is one issue. When the previous owner showed me how to rig it, the tension on the forestay required us to use the trailer winch to pull the forestay into position before attaching it to the bow. This was quite an undertaking because it was so tight; it’s really quite a pain. My (somewhat limited) research indicates that the original rigging did not include the furler and instead, included hank on jib with no furler. Furthermore, this original rigging with the hank on jib included a turnbuckle to allow some adjustment in the rigging. I have no turnbuckle as part of the furler, so I really don’t have anyway to adjust it and avoid the tough effort to attaché the forestay. I’d welcome any thoughts or possible solutions. For example, would it be possible to purchase a slightly longer shackle at the base of the furler and gain a bit of leeway there? Thank you!

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I don't know how you raise your mast but for me, it is a block and tackle that pulls it up towards the bow. I simply use that to bring the mast forward enough to connect the furling. The key is to make sure that the 4 shroud lines are not twisted and are properly seated on the mast and properly seated on the side of the boat. If these are not seated properly they will make it very difficult - but not impossible - to pull the mast forward. Check those shroud lines.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
You should have a turnbuckle on the forestay but it’s inside the roller furling drum. On my H25 I switched to the CDI furler which allows quick access into the turnbuckle by simply removing one pin on the drum and sliding it up to reveal the turnbuckle. Now, it is very easy to attach the forestay without any tension and tighten once in place.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rig could be over tensioned. Do me a favor. Take your two top fingers and pull back without moving risk. Does the upper shroud move any at all using your two fingers?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Does the mast bow? It does sound like you're over tensioned. The Hunter 260 will put too much tension on the spreaders and bow the mast backwards if the tension is too high. This could also result in difficulty raising and lowering the sail as the track curves.

-Will

Jul 31, 2017
Hunter 26 TBD
You can loosen the turnbuckles on the spreaders slightly to make it easier to clip the furler then re-tighten. There is a tool for checking cable tension

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
You should have a turnbuckle on the forestay but it’s inside the roller furling drum.
Never having sailed a boat with a furler, that's something I always wondered about. Thanks!

May 9, 2021
Hunter 260 Payette Lake
Thanks all for your responses. I’m going to rig and launch my boat tomorrow. I think I can gain the needed adjustment through the shrouds, and possible using the turnbuckle cover by the furler. Your responses here, along with a conversation with the good folks at CDI, should set me up for success!

Jul 31, 2017
Hunter 26 TBD
Thanks all for your responses. I’m going to rig and launch my boat tomorrow. I think I can gain the needed adjustment through the shrouds, and possible using the turnbuckle cover by the furler. Your responses here, along with a conversation with the good folks at CDI, should set me up for success!
mind posting pics of the turnbuckle under the furler? i have the CDI as well and had no idea there is a turnbuckle in there!

Also FYI, it's a lot easier to clean and lube the furler while it's still down.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I pull my 23.5 out every fall and de-rig. You should not have to adjust the forestay once you have a good standing rigging tune. I do loosen the upper and lower shrouds before lowering. Say 3-4 full turns. Whatever it takes. By loosening the shrouds it will loosen the forestay. I write the number or turns loosened in a phone note, or put it on a piece of tape attached to the turnbuckle. Then next season, just retighten. Makes detaching and reattaching the forestay easy.

Also, be sure to inspect your standing rigging each time you bring it down, including inside the roller. Especially where the cable is swaged to the t-ball or turnbuckle ;-)

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
I do my forestry the same way. I put a small strap winch on the front of the trailer and wrap the strap around the fuller. A couple cranks on the strap winch and the bottom hole on the furler lines up with hole on the stern and the pin slides right in. The tension is just too much to line up that pin without the winch strap. I do not loosen any stays at all. Easy peasy.