Hunter 26 with a Stern Crack

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
Hunter 26 1001 Rocky Fork
1993 Hunter 26 with cracks in stern (pictures below). The top part of the crack is definitely into the fiberglass. The rest of boat is immaculate. Interior and exterior is very clean. Cushions are newer and have been well taken care of. No smell or mildew which is unusual for Midwest boat that's been kept in storage. Only issue is the crack in the pics.

It is a lake boat, guy swears it's watertight. Offered to deliver to my lake and float if I wanted to buy it. Looking for opinions on the crack before I make a decision. He is selling because he has 3 sailboats and it's been in storage for the last year.

Looking for thoughts and opinions on it. Specifically would like to know if its repairable and guestimates for how much? Any advice in general is appreciated though.

Attachments

Last edited:
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Thickened epoxy, fairing compound, gel coat, stirrer sticks, plastic mixing cups, sand paper,
some plastic wrap, painter's tape for masking the work area: $60.00 US.
Add the cost of your time to watch 4 or 5 episodes of "Boatworks Today" on You Tube to learn how
to do the repair ( BoatworksToday ) and five hours to practice on scrap and then actually do it yourself.

OR

Pay a yard guy $500.00 US and watch him do it for you.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yeah! What @ggrizzard said. It is mostly cosmetic but you do want to stop water intrusion so that ice won't make it worse. Grind out the cracks with a dremmel, mix up some gel coat and mash it into the cracks, squeege the excess cover it with a thin piece of plastic (like the kind your professor used to use for over head projectors) and use the plastic to make a smooth boarder. Tape the plastic in place until the gel coat hardens. This will create a very smooth finish. Give it a full week to cure then sand with some 400 grit and buff it with some cutting compound and it will look new. Start to finish it is a two hour job at most.

1583768614711.png
squeege available at Walmart or AutoZone or Amazon etc.

1583768654573.png
Available at any office supply store or Amazon.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Former dealer now retired who helped design the boat. You have issues with the marine putty between the hull and deck joint which is easily fixed. send a private message with name phone number and location so we can discuss repairs. I would ask that you advise this thread once repairs are made. In the comment or subject matter indicate H26
Dave Condon

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I sent my phone number but never called me. I advised of a reputable former Hunter dealer in his area since he mentioned getting a professional to do the repair.
It takes too long to type which is why I like to talk via phone. At least an acknowledgement would have been appreciated

May 27, 2004
Maybe he works 'til late. His original post was last night @ 9:30 PM

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
I sent my phone number but never called me. I advised of a reputable former Hunter dealer in his area since he mentioned getting a professional to do the repair.
It takes too long to type which is why I like to talk via phone. At least an acknowledgement would have been appreciated
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings and apologize for that. I work 6am to 3pm est so I get online sporadically during the week and go to bed early. I am already aware of the local dealer you mentioned and waiting for them to respond to an email I sent last week. Thanks for your help and again, I apologize that I didn't respond quickly enough for you.

(I also sent you the same message to make sure it wasn't missed and you knew I had responded)

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
We also have a h26 that had the same cracks. I dremeled the cracks out and found they went a lot deeper than first appeared. I ended up using MarineTex that was 5 years ago and so far its still solid.

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
I went by the local sailboat place because they hadn't answered my email. They said they wouldn't do the repair because the cracks are most likely to come back through the gel coat. Not sure why that would stop them from doing the repair but they really didn't seem interested in giving me an estimate so I gave up.

They said it shouldn't affect the performance of the boat, just the look. They suggested grinding out the glass and then filling that with 3M 5200 and letting it sit. Any thoughts?

May 27, 2004
You could do that...
But why do a half-assed repair when doing it right the first time is relatively cheap and will give you invaluable experience.

BTW, it will look like crap from the get-go.

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
You could do that...
But why do a half-assed repair when doing it right the first time is relatively cheap and will give you invaluable experience.

BTW, it will look like crap from the get-go.
What would you suggest?

May 27, 2004
Go to this link: BoatworksToday
Scroll through the video topics.
Find a few that deal with cracks and with gelcoat repairs.
Buy the materials online to save money.
Practice on some scrap.
Do the repairs.

Send me a PM with your phone number and a time to call and I'll 'splain it further.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Also touch base with Crazy Dave. I believe his firm repaired several boats with these types of issues.
I believe there are also some 260‘s with the same issue that show how they were repaired in the archive.
Some photos and general discussion here:

• Helpful
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Folks I repaired over several hundred of those cracks. First I say bunk to 5100 vs. using a good two part epoxy which I suggest Water Tite. Then a good white plastic paint by Krylon vs gel coat. Hunter had me going around doing repair work.

I am waiting till the poster calls me. I plan to work with him if he can send a message to me.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I spoke to the fellow this morning. Since you know my policy, no personal info will be given out. The poster did speak with some and the advice was not as good. No one in the area will help. He is handy and with his hands and thru facetime, I can help him. The repair is to Dremel out the lip where the hull to deck joint meets, then apply a two part epoxy with spraying a krylon plastic white paint onto the seam which will be hardly noticed. He will keep you advised of repairs.

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
Dave what is your thoughts on "Marine Tex" is it comparable to "Water Tite" the reason i am asking is I have some on hand. Thanks, Chris