Hunter 26 outboard motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2010
Beneteau 41 Deltaville, VA
Sounds like you got a great deal, congratulations! My only comment would be that the 105# weight will make it a bear to mount it on or off the boat while it's in the water. All the new 4-cycle motors seem to be in that range except the Tohatsu. My old (1991) Evinrude 9.9 (previous owner replaced the original Nissan with it) may have given up the ghost recently. It weighs about 90#, and if the shop can't fix it I may be looking at a Tohatsu motor since it weighs about the same.

Aug 6, 2010
Hunter 26.5 Lake Champlain, VT
Thanks John. Best of luck with your motor.

Last edited:

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
Capt. John, you are right about the difficulty in removing/mounting a 9.9 4-cycle outboard on an H26. For my Honda 9.9, it took 3 of us to perform that task in the water... and it WAS a bear!. Later, I had to remove the outboard for manufacturer's recall work, it was made much easier by raising the centerboard and rudder and beaching the boat stern in. I did this single-handed and barely got my feet wet. BrianW

MABell

Dec 9, 2003
Hunter 26 Orygun
I think your going to like the Yamaha

My first motor was a 8hp Honda (1998). Someone apparently needed it worse than I did and took it from the boat.
I replaced with a Yamaha 8hp high thrust. Turns out loosing the Honda was the best thing that could have happened (sorry all you Honda owners).
Something about that large diameter (but flat) prop really drives the boat through the water.

Aug 6, 2010
Hunter 26.5 Lake Champlain, VT
Thanks MABell. The prop on the Yamaha is quite a bit larger than the prop on the Nissian. You can clearly see the difference in the pic I posted. I can't wait until spring to launch my boat and try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.