Hunter 26 outboard motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2010
Hunter 26.5 Lake Champlain, VT
Hunter 26.5 outboard motor

I have a 1987 Hunter 26.5 with a Nissan 9.9 2-cycle outboard motor. I'd like to buy a new 4-cycle outboard motor and minimize the changes for the external throttle and shift cables. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 260 Sarasota,FL
Our Yamaha 8hp(now mfg in a 9.9hp otherwise identical specs) is a reliable work horse. Long shaft, high thrust version will push the boat to hull speed with power to spare and only use 1/2gal per hour on avg. Tilt/alternator add to the benefits you'll use.

If you're going for new power maybe you should consider your cables too. The best thing I did was get better shift/throttle cables. After I changed them I realized how bad the stock cables were. Call Teledyne cable directly and ask about their best/better grade cables and get a part number to make sure you don't end up with low quality stock cables. The better ones are like hot butter and you'll never go back.

Good luck in your shopping. Nothing beats a motor you have total confidence in. Mike

Attachments

Aug 6, 2010
Hi Mike, Thanks, I'll check out the Yamaha motors. Very helpful feedback.
John

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
We have a Honda 9.9 with the tilt and alternator and absolutely love it. Best thing we added. Forgot to add, it was quite a bit cheaper than the Yamaha and if I remember correctly slightly lighter. To me the more important point is that we have a Honda dealership close by. Chris

Aug 6, 2010
Hi Chris, Thanks for your comments. I'll check out the Honda. I agree, having a dealership close by is on the top of my list too. John

Deucer

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter H260 Keesler AFB Marina
We have a Honda 9.9 on our 260. It's been a real champ. Easy to adjust cables and carb and is real tolerant of 10% ethanol gas. Has alt and elect start.

Aug 6, 2010
Hi Deucer, thanks for your comments. Looks like 2 votes for a Honda. My 9.9hp 2-cycle Nissan is having starting problems and becoming very unreliable. It is over 20 years old and I cannot find parts such as a new carburetor for it. I'm looking for a very reliable 4-cycle, around 10hp, electric start, alternator, and external control cables.

May 15, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Mandeville, LA
honda

I have a 03 honda 8hp 4 stroke on my 25.5 previous owner almost never touched the boat over 4 years or so. I took it home oil change, plugs, fuel filter and new impeller (about $90 save $20+ and order plugs from carquest or some such) she cranks everytime on the first or second pull and never skips a beat. Has an alt for charging and had options for remote throttle, electric start, and electric tilt.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
Another vote for a Honda 9.9 on an H26. I do not have electric tilt or remote throttle and shift... but wish I did! I could be wrong, but I think aftermarket remote throttle and shift are a problem (impossible?) on a Honda 9.9. Could someone confirm? BrianW

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 260 Lake Carlyle, Illinois
Tohatsu

I believe your Nissan is made by Tohatsu. I have an 8 HP Tohatsu 2 cycle on our H260 with shift and throttle cable remote control. On this site I had asked whether or not a 4 cycle Tohatsu replacement would use the same cable / controls and was told yes. Bottom line - look at a 8 to 9 HP 4 cycle Tohatsu - you might have an easier time of it.

Tom Grass
Creve Coeur, Missouri

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
I have an 05 Honda 9.9 on my 260. It is a great motor, very quiet, smooth, lots of power. The exhaust is normally through the center of the prop until you shift into reverse so it stops better when docking without all that exhaust gas around the prop. Also the alternator is 12 amps so charges the batteries well. I bought the extra long 25" shaft model. It has a screw on oil filter, my friends Nissan motor does not have any oil filter at all.
Bob

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Another vote for a Honda 9.9 on an H26. I do not have electric tilt or remote throttle and shift... but wish I did! I could be wrong, but I think aftermarket remote throttle and shift are a problem (impossible?) on a Honda 9.9. Could someone confirm? BrianW
Brian, my 05 Honda came with tiller controls. When I bought my 260 it had wheel steering with pedestal controls and cables connected to a Nissan OB. I wanted to keep my Honda motor from my old boat. My Honda dealer told me I could not convert the tiller motor to remote controls. I looked at the parts diagrams for both models on the internet and ordered $135 worth of bolts, clips, springs, levers. I was able to easily convert the motor to remote control and the cables that had been used on the Nissan motor fit perfect. I don't know what the issues would be trying to use say a Nissan remote with a Honda engine. Also I had to make up a small electrical cable to mount the stop and start bottons that used to be on the tiller handle onto the sail boat itself.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
Bob, thanks for the conversion update. I'll give it some thought. BrianW

Sep 19, 2010
Beneteau 41 Deltaville, VA
I have a 1987 Hunter 26 with a Nissan 9.9 2-cycle outboard motor. I'd like to buy a new 4-cycle outboard motor and minimize the changes for the external throttle and shift cables. Any suggestions?
I have to ask whether you have a 26 or a 26.5? You've received lots of input from Hunter 260 owners, but if your boat was made in 1987 it wouldn't be a 260 - more likely it's a 26.5 - and the answers for adapting throttle and shift cables could well be different.

Nov 20, 2010
Hunter 260 St Petersburg
I need to replace my throttle cable on my Hunter 260 (wheel steering). Do you have any contact information for Teledyne or suggestions

May 17, 2010
Hunter 270 Ottawa
Adding Remote Control to Honda Outboard

I had Honda dealer add remote control to 1991 10 hp outboard that I bought new without remote control. Was added a year later & still works great (for the new owner of the boat which I sold to buy my 2002 Hunter 270) . They sold me a surplus shifter from a 50 hp motor to keep costs down but still cost about $1,000 for shifter, a kit & labor. A friend (Bob Hussey) added remote control to his newer model Honda 10 hp on his Hunter 260, after being told it could not be done. He figured it out from the manual etc & did it at relatively low cost. Also, on my Hunter 270 with a 9.8 Tohatsu with remote control I copied another Hunter owner & put the shifter in the middle of the stern rail, up high where it is easy to reach & bought a longer, premium cable to facilitate such.
Defender Marine usually has good prices 0n Tohatsu outboards with remote but tou have to take the boat to their stire to have it put on as they are apparently not allowed to ship remote outboards.

Aug 6, 2010
I have to ask whether you have a 26 or a 26.5? You've received lots of input from Hunter 260 owners, but if your boat was made in 1987 it wouldn't be a 260 - more likely it's a 26.5 - and the answers for adapting throttle and shift cables could well be different.
Hi Capn John, Yes, you are correct. It is a 26.5. I think the throttle and shift cables are pretty standard but that is a good point. I bought my Hunter 26.5 new in 1988 and it was the boat they had in the showroom.

Aug 6, 2010
I bought the Yamaha 8hp! It is a 2004 model T8ELHD, high thrust, long shaft, and electric start. I bought if from a friend who sold his boat. He used this motor for 1-1/2 seasons and it has been sitting in his garage for the last few of years. The motor looks like new. I'll probably have it tuned up before I use it next summer. He sold it to me for $850. I think I got a good deal. Here is a pic of the motor with the old Nissian 9.9. Since the arm is long and the shift control is on the arm I am thinking of just using this on my boat. The hook up will be simple with just the gas line and wires for the electric start. This motor is a little heavier than the Nissian but not by much, maybe 10-20 lbs. The dry weight is 105 lbs. The locking mechanism to lock the motor from turning so that you can steer with the tiller is really solid. It is one of the features I like a lot with this motor. The Nissian had a small bolt for locking which did not work well. Thanks for all the comments in this thread. It was very helpful to make a decision regarding which motor to buy.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.