Hunter 26 mast fit on 260

Vaughn

Jan 14, 2022
Hunter 260 Dubuque
Would anyone know if a mast from a Hunter 26 would work on a Hunter 260 I am looking to buy a Hunter 260 with a bent mast and I can buy a used mast from a hunter 26. The mast is bent at the spreaders with about 5 deg bend. any help would be appreciated.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Would anyone know if a mast from a Hunter 26 would work on a Hunter 260 I am looking to buy a Hunter 260 with a bent mast and I can buy a used mast from a hunter 26. The mast is bent at the spreaders with about 5 deg bend. any help would be appreciated.
If you have access... just measure the overall length of the mast and stays and the positional length of the attachements for the stays.... If they match up, they match.

Vaughn

Jan 14, 2022
Hunter 260 Dubuque
If you have access... just measure the overall length of the mast and stays and the positional length of the attachements for the stays.... If they match up, they match.
I would but I drove to Washington to look at this boat to purchase and discovered the mast was bent. The used mast is in Florida back where I will be taking this boat.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
This site’s parts dept lists the same Z-spars mast for the H26 and the H260. I don’t know if the 260 came with any mast other than the Z-spars, but I’m pretty sure the H26 did.
If the manufacturer matches between the two masts, you might be fine.
You could likely get some good input directly from this site’s parts folks.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Suggest removing the mast and bend it back between two trees. Did that on a Catalina 22 or 24. If that does not work, a 26 (I = 28.33 ft SailboatData.com - HUNTER 26 Sailboat) mast might work with 260 (I = 29.21 ft SailboatData.com - HUNTER 260 Sailboat), albeit it is a little shorter so you will have to adjust the standing rigging. Suggest discussing with a rigger to make sure that is a feasible plan.

Last edited:

Vaughn

Jan 14, 2022
Hunter 260 Dubuque
This site’s parts dept lists the same Z-spars mast for the H26 and the H260. I don’t know if the 260 came with any mast other than the Z-spars, but I’m pretty sure the H26 did.
If the manufacturer matches between the two masts, you might be fine.
You could likely get some good input directly from this site’s parts folks.
I seen that also. Both H26 and 260 have the same part # but I don't know if they come with components like spreader bracket and gooseneck. I would think they would just have the holes drilled and machined so you can reuse your old components. If that is the case they are the same. If the buyer has to drill the holes in the correct location for your model then the H26 might not be the same. I am a retired engineer and I know if I don't get confirmation in at least 3 places I have always regretted it. I think I will try the parts folks. Hopefully they don't frown on me for not buying new but if I did the boat would not be worth it. Thanks for your help.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If the bend is to the stern it could be called "rake'. The mast perhaps could be fixed, the bent piece could be cut out and rejoined by an interior sleeve. The spreaders could be then reinstalled and the shrouds adjusted. It really depends on how far down does the bend extend. Such repairs if properly executed will be very strong. Consult a rigger in Florida for advice of the best way to go.

Vaughn

Jan 14, 2022
Hunter 260 Dubuque
If the bend is to the stern it could be called "rake'. The mast perhaps could be fixed, the bent piece could be cut out and rejoined by an interior sleeve. The spreaders could be then reinstalled and the shrouds adjusted. It really depends on how far down does the bend extend. Such repairs if properly executed will be very strong. Consult a rigger in Florida for advice of the best way to go.
Yes I am considering that. there is someone that made a video on the college of YouTube. The bend is about 5 deg in about 3 inches so I think it would be a good candidate.

Vaughn

Jan 14, 2022
Hunter 260 Dubuque
Yes I am considering that. there is someone that made a video on the college of YouTube. The bend is about 5 deg in about 3 inches so I think it would be a good candidate.
The ben is about 4 inches above the spreader.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First if memory serves me, the mast extrusion is the same. There are two differences. First is the mast raising. On the 26, you have bridle wires to attach from mast to stanchions while on the 260, there are two side poles (permanently positioned) used to stabilize the mast from falling sideways

the second is the rigging. On the 260, you have reverse diagonals from spreader tip to the base of the mast. I am not sure if the rest of the rigging in length is still the same.

The description of the issue as to the bend on the 26o above the spreaders is suspicious with the reverse diagonals. If the reverse diagonals are not tuned correctly can be the problem; therefore, further information and investigation are suggested

pictures would be helpful. Suggest posting in smaller boats will get more responses

Last edited:

Vaughn

Jan 14, 2022
Hunter 260 Dubuque
Thank you everyone. We ended up passing on that hunter and went north to look at another one. We have been traveling in a Winnebago sprinter van for a year and a half and are wanting to travel in something new. This small 260 seems to be a great way to test the waters. It is a bit chilly up here in Connecticut right now but I think this boat is going to work and now we can finally head back south. I have always been a power boater on the Mississippi. Hopefully I can use more of your wisdom in the future since sailing is all new to me.
Thanks again.

Jan 19, 2010
The 260 would be really small for anthing more than a couple. But you won't burn a lot of gas. :)

I slept out on my H26 very often but the longest extended stay was 10 days.

Vaughn

Jan 14, 2022
Hunter 260 Dubuque
The 260 would be really small for anthing more than a couple. But you won't burn a lot of gas. :)

I slept out on my H26 very often but the longest extended stay was 10 days.
Yes I agree but my wife and I have been traveling in a Winnebago sprinter for 1-1/2 years which is 24x6 and they are supposed to be weekender RV's and we love how easy it is to maneuver. I will have to change the toilet on the boat so I can pump it out at campsites and a few other things because after the east coast we plan on pulling it with our truck to the west coast and doing some off-roading in the mountains on the way. We feel like two kids in a candy store now that we are retired. Hope it will last a while.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The only problem, campsites do not have a pump out which presents an issue. I own a camper and the crapper tank is emptied by gravity flow as there are no pump out style pumps at RV campsites. You are limited to porta potties to dump out at RV camp sites. You need to think about this

Jan 19, 2010
The only problem, campsites do not have a pump out which presents an issue. I own a camper and the crapper tank is emptied by gravity flow as there are no pump out style pumps at RV campsites. You are limited to porta potties to dump out at RV camp sites. You need to think about this
Dave brings up a good point. When you install a holding tank on yours you may want to consider a mercerator pump like this...

Of if you are worried about power consumption something like this...

Vaughn

Jan 14, 2022
Hunter 260 Dubuque
Yes I have it mostly planed out. I am going to use regular RV toilet have the waste go directly into a holding tank so I would not need to use much water then have a macerator pull from the tank and out the boat. I am not sure if I am going out the deck or through the hull. If they made a thru hull fitting I could connect a hose to, it would be great but I have never seen one. If I push it up and out the deck I would have to flush the system with fresh water to clean the lines and I may have a bit of a mess when I disconnect the hose. I was also thinking I could use the water ballast as a gray water tank and use environmentally friendly soaps etc. I am still working on it but I think I am getting closer.