Hunter 26 mast fit on 260

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
If you start carrying water in the ballast tank while towing, make sure the trailer and tow rig are both up to the extra load. The whole point of the water ballast is to reduce the towing weight.

To me, the pump out stuff you’re thinking of is not worth the complexity vs dumping a porta potty. But if you can get a system put together that really does work well, without mess, etc. it might be nice to have on the road.

Vaughn

Jan 14, 2022
Hunter 260 Dubuque
You would’ve very foolish to mess with the water ballast tank
Yes I thought about using it very lightly because if you have 30 gal of liquid in a 250 gal long and skinny container and hit the brakes the hydraulic pressure or kinetic energy may not be kind to the boat. I think this is what happens to the MacGregor's that crack the ballast tanks because the tank may not have been completely full in rough water. In other words your right.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was very much involved with the Hunter small boats which is why I point things out. In fact Frank Butler with Catalina use to ask for advice on his trailerable sailboat development too. Others I use to represent include Beneteau, Precision, ComPac, MacGregor, etc.

Vaughn

Jan 14, 2022
Hunter 260 Dubuque
If you start carrying water in the ballast tank while towing, make sure the trailer and tow rig are both up to the extra load. The whole point of the water ballast is to reduce the towing weight.

To me, the pump out stuff you’re thinking of is not worth the complexity vs dumping a porta potty. But if you can get a system put together that really does work well, without mess, etc. it might be nice to have on the road.
We are heading south now and the boat is a little heavier than I thought. My Winnebago is a Mercedes diesel sprinter 2500 but it is fully loaded. We actually transferred some heavy things in to the boat or I would be over weight with the tongue weight of the trailer. I plan on pulling it in the future with my Dodge 2500 diesel.

I think I am going to take the time to plumb everything because it seems awkward (embarrassing) to dump a big porta potty. But It didn't take long for me to get used to dumping my RV so i would probably get used to that too.

I do think that using the ballast is not a good idea for the gray water so I am going to try to figure something else out. Too bad they didn't put baffles in the tank just for me. You know, because the world revolves around me. Ha!
Ha!