Hunter 240 Boom Internal Lines Question

Apr 6, 2014
Hunter 240 Navarre
I'm replacing the main sail. The boom is a U.S. Spars Z160. There are three internal lines (outhaul, topping lift, reefing). However, the previous owner didn't use original colors, or lengths. It's not in the owner's manual, not on the Z-spars site that I could find, and not previously answered in this forum. I did call Z-spars, but the lengths quoted don't seem right, for example, why would the topping lift line be twice (9.5 M) as long as the other two (5.5 M and 5 M)? Worst case scenario I'll buy too much and discard any unused line, but that seems wasteful. Does anyone know the proper lengths and/or colors for these lines? Thanks!

Apr 6, 2014
Hunter 240 Navarre
Thank you, I did see that, but it didn't match the U.S. Spars rep's quote, and 37 feet seems excessive for the reefing line or topping lift line since they both basically run through an 8ft mast, and connect to the reefing attachment on the sail, or to the end of the topping lift cable - either way it would result in about 25 feet of excess line hanging out the mast end of the boom. I'm thinking 20 feet for each line would be more than enough, but really want to see the factory requirements.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
On our 260 the topping lift line is longer as it goes up to a block (attached to the wire rope that goes to the mast head) then back down to the aft end of the boom. Block would be 2m or so from the end of the boom - round trip gives an extra 4m distance for the topping lift over the outhaul line. Reefing line I would expect to be longer than outhaul as it needs to go up reef outhaul cringe and back down when the sail is not reefed.

That said I've never had a shortage of line to haul on even if I'm standing down in the cabin to adjust.

Apr 6, 2014
Hunter 240 Navarre
Great input, the lines may be long so that they can run back for single handing, or could be shorter if needed.

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
There's no free lunch on the length of these lines. You'll have to go up to the mast to secure them in the cleats at the bottom of the boom. Running them back to the cockpit will do you no good.

Apr 6, 2014
Hunter 240 Navarre
So, I ordered 20ft of blue tracer for the outhaul (blue as a continuation of the blue mainsail halyard), 30 ft of red for the reefing line (Red for Reef), and 25 ft of white for the topping lift (white as a continuation of the white topping lift cable). I'll report back when I've installed the new sail as to whether I ordered too much (probably) or too little. Thanks for the tips.