Hunter 23 reefing hook

DrKGB

Mar 16, 2020
Hunter Hunter 23 Appling GA
I recently purchased a hunter 23 and as I get to know the boat more I'm realizing that some of the rigging on it is incorrect or missing. The reefing hook was missing and I purchased one from the site. Do I have to remove the boom to install it? The gooseneck? Any advice on installation is much appreciated.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For some reason the hardware configuration of the boom terminal, gooseneck and reefing hook varies from boat to boat. But mostly the reefing hook installs on the boom close to the mast. This search should give you plenty of ideas.

reefing hooks on boom

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you will post a picture of the forward section of the boom and the part you got. It is either a Kenyon Isomat or Z Spar boom section. Also year of boat. Former dealer now retired who sold the 23

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On mine, I have to remove the bolt that holds the boom to the goose neck. Then I slip in the reefing hook and bolt it all back together.

DrKGB

Mar 16, 2020
My boat is an 87 and the part I got is the hook in the picture below. Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, this isn't my gooseneck. I'll get a picture of it next time I'm out at the boat. Thanks.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
That looks like the hook I have.

In a pinch, you can always take line through the reef-tack-grommet from a point on the mast foot. On my H26, the mast foot has attachement points where I can shackle a turning block. If you tied a line to one of those points, then brought it up through the reef-grommet, then back to a turning block on the other side of the mast, you could then run a reefing line all the way to the cockpit and not even have to leave the cockpit to reef.

1585612595392.png

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Refer to US Spars website. Pick their 2009 catalog going to page 7 for the Z 145 mast. There you will see a reference. You have a Z Spar mast and boom but to make a short now it is US Spars. There is a hook that threads thru the large hole on the mast which it goes thru that hole with the hooks facing aft. Take a photo of the hook you have and let me see if you have the right one

Jan 19, 2010
What Dave said...

Or you can buy a hook that looks like this at Tractor Supply, Lowes, Harbor Freight etc...

1585680196580.png

And bolt it with a washer here...

1585680280453.png

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
From the first photo you included it looks like someone may have changed out your gooseneck. (Holes in mast below current goose neck. )

DrKGB

Mar 16, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised if someone changed something along the way. I looked at the catalogs and I don't think the gooseneck on the Z145 mast looks right. If I look at the 2000 catalog at the Z170 it looks like that matches what I have.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
That’s the one I was referring to.

Send your photos to Dave Groshong at this forum store and confer with Al on this one. Both Al and I dealt with Z Spar when they were around. You asked and I was advising based on your info. Look again.

Oct 30, 2021
Hunter 23.5 Lake Minnewanka
Hello, I have the same set up on my 23.5... did you find the right reefing hook... i am looking also

Cheers Daryl

Oct 30, 2021
Hunter 23.5 Lake Minnewanka
Sorry, should have known… I just joined today… ( very excited everyone)
Thank you for replying so fast… being new to the world I will try and research my questions before posting as to not waste anyone’s time… thank you in advance everyone… for the future advice and help… lol
Be safe all

Daryl