Hunter 23' Mast Mounting/Normal Operation Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 23 Tampa Bay
When the mast is stepped and in its normal working/use position, is the bottom of the mast supposed to be resting on the base of the bracket, or is supposed to be elevated as in diagram 1?

Basically asking is diagram 1 or 2 correct?

Seems like when I took ownership of the boat it was diagram 1, but I have zero confidence in the previous owner's modifications.

I can see where diagram 1 would make it easier to step and lower the mast as it creates a free pivot point where diagram 2 would not.

Seems like a lot of weight on a bolt if diagram 1 is correct.

Thanks!

Attachments

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
That ain't a stock mast step for the H23! The mast step that came on the boat has two pins, one fore and one aft, that allow it to act like a hinge. When stepping the mast, you put in the aft pin and then raise the mast. Once up, you insert the fore pin and you are ready to go. Picture is shown below (taken from the H23 user manual).

As for your pivoting mast step, I have always seen and used them with the bottom of the mast resting on the bottom of the plate and the bolt just used to keep it in place (ie: Number 2 in your picture). Actually, I have never seen or can even imagine how you would get the mast to the number 1 position (raised and resting on the bolt) in your drawing. You would have to first step the mast then lift up against the shrouds and stays while having someone really tighten down on that bolt.. and if not tight enough, it can slip while underway! Below is a picture of a similar mast step in the upright position where you can see it resting on the bottom (taken from a Dolphin-24 web site).

Cheers,
Brad

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Mr. Unix is correct; however, I have see this style mast step on other boats. The mast should be resting at the bottom of the mast step. You may have to drill a new hole to ensure that the mast is down all the way.

crazy dave condon

Sep 24, 2010
Beneteau 321 Edgewater, MD
My hunter 23 had this same style step as indicated by the OP (1987) and the mast should be all the way down in the step and touching the deck.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I believe both style mast steps were used on the 23 wing keel. Sorry about that but it has been a long time. Peoples1234, thank you for the verification.

crazy dave condon

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 23 Tampa Bay
I am contemplating have a welding shop I have been using to weld a plate to the bottom of the mast and drill a hole in that for drainage. I have a hole drilled for the bolt that holds the mast in the bracket, so no worries there. seems like it will strengthen it up some.

Opinions welcome!

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Mine is not that type, but the aluminum plate on the bottom of the mast extrusion does rest on the plate attached to the deck. Mine has a single hinge pin at the aft side of the plate, sort of like a door hinge's pin. It does not have vertical pieces that straddle the mast.

Aug 5, 2009
Hunter h23 Dallas Tx.
Mine is exactly as shown in Diagram 1, only one hinge pin came with my boat and I have never added a second one as it would not hold the mast up should I have a forestay/ back stay or shroud failure. The last picture in my profile shows it clearly.

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 23 Massabesic
My 87 Hunter is just like drawing #2. I have a France-spar mast. I see no reason to weld a plate on, just make sure the mast is all the way down. I don't think there were a lot of 23s with the france-spar mast

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Freebird and for those who do not know. I believe that was a Z Spar mast and you can get replacement parts thru U.S. Spars in Gainesville, FL. Long story but will not go into past history on that one.

The mast should rest at the bottom of the mast step plate with no need to weld on a plate. If the bolt is on the bottom portion of the slot in the mast step, then someone miscued and drilled that bolt hole in the mast not to specs at the manufacturere. I have seen it in the past.

crazy dave condon

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 23 Tampa Bay
I definetly have a Francespar mast. Probably the only identification label left anywhere on the boat.

Thansk for everyone's help. She is going back in the water this weekend, after 13 months in my driveway. It has been an experience but really looks good.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Carboman;

Have a hot totty when you rechristen that lovely lady of yours. Otherwise, you will be ordered to walk the plank matey.

crazy dave condon

Status
Not open for further replies.