Hunter 23.5 stern rail seats and rudder rigging

Aug 29, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Fort Belvoir Marina
Hello all,

Rookie sailor and poster here. Just bought a 1995 Hunter 23.5. Having lot of fun updating/cleaning it. A few questions:

1.) Is there any place to get stern rail seats? Is it worth it? I look at this site but they’re asking almost $2k. Does that sound right? Anyway to DIY?

2.) is there a good photo/vid showing how the rudder rigging is supposed to be run through the transom and rudder paths? I haven’t taken off the hard yet (waiting to get my outboard back). The rudder rigging that is currently on it has the line under the bolt and it looks to me like it’ll start fraying from the friction. The manual photo is too congested and unhelpful.

Bonus question: do you recommend buying cockpit cushions here or DIY from sailbrite?

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
I bought Stern rail seats for my '95 H23.5 in about 2003. I'm pretty sure the local sailboat shop ordered them from the Hunter Factory. I don't know if that is still possible. I'm not sure what I paid, but it was 16 years ago and I live in Canada and they had to be shipped from Florida. My price wouldn't mean much now.

I'm writing to suggest you consider doing something I did, which was to have the lifelines modified to connect to top of the stern rail seat posts instead of the u-bolt on the side lips of the boat. That leaves a big gap between the combing wall and the upper Lifeline, so I had a short second piece run parallel to it from the stanchion to a middle point on the stern rail seat. This was all easy to do because there were little Loops already welded onto the stern-rail seats for just that purpose. If not, they make bolt-on connectors. I also had a short life line fashioned to fit between the top of the two Stern rail seats to help keep people from toppling out the back. There were Loop connectors for that as well.

I can post photos tomorrow if this isn't clear.

I always leave the mast crutch in place. It gives something to hang on to when you're standing by the tiller.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Welcome Happytobehere,

The stern rail seats are crazy expensive, IMO. I dont have them, it would be nice if I did, but not worth the cost. I did buy seat cushions from the online store here. They to were pricey, but I couldn't live without them now. They quality is excellent and Im sure they will last quite a while. They also make the seat much more comfortable and I can put a knee up on the seat without rubbing the skin off from the non-skid.

As for the rigging of the rudder, I dont use it and have removed it all. I raise the rudder when not in use, as in during the week, when in its slip. The rudder is buoyant. To bring it up I loosen the nut, it floats up, and I bring it up the rest of the way with my foot. To deploy it, loosen nut and it slices right down to the lower position and I tighten it up. The rigging never worked for me. Not enough leverage.

The 23.5 is a fun boat. Enjoy.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Here are some photos. The one of the rudder lines probably doesn't help but it's hard to get a good view. I incuded the rudder lock (thanks Rick Webb!) which is one of many favorite mods.

I'm glad I spent whatever I did for the stern rail seats. I wouldn't be without them. The boat was only 7 years old when I got them so I've certainly got my money's worth.

I regret not buying cockpit cushions but it's too late now. My salon cushions are vinyl so I use them in the cockpit sometimes.

The roller furler is a must for me.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2016
Rick,

I like the rudder lock. Nice idea. I have to raise mine because the marina Im at is not very calm water. No wave break, so a lot of wake action. Kind of hard on the spade.

Nice corner seats. I guess someone will profit from the cushions they get from my boat when I sell it. The advantages of buying a boat with a few nice mods.

Yes on the roller jib, and I'll add that I wouldnt go without some sort of tiller lock. Im partial to the Tiller Clutch myself.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Have an old 23.5 that would be a good parts boat. Has cockpit cushions, stern seats, cabin tent, front hatch screens. It has been sitting in my yard collecting leaves and spiders. Needs new standing and running rigging.

Sep 30, 2016
Have an old 23.5 that would be a good parts boat. Has cockpit cushions, stern seats, cabin tent, front hatch screens. It has been sitting in my yard collecting leaves and spiders. Needs new standing and running rigging.
So does that mean you are parting out the boat, or selling the whole boat?

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Have to get it out of my yard so I won't get s**t if I buy another boat. Has a Honda 9.9 w/ 10 amp charger, electric start overhauled last year w/ new electronic ignition. Make an offer and the parts are all yours. It's on a trailer that has original tires from 1996. Trailer was overhauled last year with new brakes and surge unit, lights. You are half a country away though.

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
Have to get it out of my yard so I won't get s**t if I buy another boat. Has a Honda 9.9 w/ 10 amp charger, electric start overhauled last year w/ new electronic ignition. Make an offer and the parts are all yours. It's on a trailer that has original tires from 1996. Trailer was overhauled last year with new brakes and surge unit, lights. You are half a country away though.
You've mentioned this boat being for sale a couple times but I don't see any listings on CL or anywhere for it. You got a link?

Aug 29, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Fort Belvoir Marina
Serenity on Hudson,

I’d love to come buy some parts! I’ll send you a private message. Thanks.

MikeyJ

Dec 15, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Carlyle Lake
Hello all,

Rookie sailor and poster here. Just bought a 1995 Hunter 23.5. Having lot of fun updating/cleaning it. A few questions:

1.) Is there any place to get stern rail seats? Is it worth it? I look at this site but they’re asking almost $2k. Does that sound right? Anyway to DIY?

2.) is there a good photo/vid showing how the rudder rigging is supposed to be run through the transom and rudder paths? I haven’t taken off the hard yet (waiting to get my outboard back). The rudder rigging that is currently on it has the line under the bolt and it looks to me like it’ll start fraying from the friction. The manual photo is too congested and unhelpful.

Bonus question: do you recommend buying cockpit cushions here or DIY from sailbrite?

Thanks!
At some point I read there were blueprints or a diagram for DIY stern seats, was floating around. I never saw it. So if anyone has a copy I would love to see it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Stern rail seats for my H30 are just $315 for the pair on SBO. They don't list them for your boat but you might ask.
One of the POs of my boat already bought them . They say where they came from but I can't check until this weekend. The only thing I don't like about mine are they have to be removed if (when) I need to get in the stern lockers