Hunter 23.5 Spinnaker Setup Questions

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I have a 23.5 that I purchased last fall. Spring is here and shes back on the water. Im trying to learn the boat now. The boat came with a symmetrical spinnaker and pole, but Im still trying to figure out the rigging, which is what Im asking for help on. Ive never sailed with a spinnaker before and want to use it. The previous owner used the kite a lot apparently, but I dont seem to have everything. I have searched many threads and most end in a dead end without complete set ups ever explained.
What I have is:
-The kite with no sheets or guys
-Pole
-Halyard. Boat rigged with a roller jib
-Up haul

Questions:
- I assume it needs a down haul. There is a small double block at the base of the mast. I think this was used to run the up and down haul back to some cam cleats. Yes?
-Do I need sheets and guys for this size setup? I think PO just had a sheet attached on each lower corner.
- For the aft corners, I had planned on getting an appropriate size single block on a swivel, making a loop of line and attaching that to the aft cleats for the sheets to run through.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don't race so I am not set up for smooth operation... and I only fly my spinnaker on very light air days. So with that disclaimer said and out of the way... I attache the tack at the bow with a short strop (pendant) made of nylon and use a spare halyard to hoist the sail. I run sheets back to the two cleats on the gunwales near the transom and slip them through the cleat and back to the winch with two loops and then back to the cleat to tie it off. I douse by going on the bow and balling it up in my arms as I pull it down. It is not smooth but gets the job done.

I'm not saying you should do it this way but it would be an inexpensive way (free) to fly your kite until you get all of the rigging sorted out.

And I also have a pole to hold it out.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
What I have is:
-The kite with no sheets or guys
-Pole
-Halyard. Boat rigged with a roller jib
-Up haul

Questions:
- I assume it needs a down haul. There is a small double block at the base of the mast. I think this was used to run the up and down haul back to some cam cleats. Yes?
-Do I need sheets and guys for this size setup? I think PO just had a sheet attached on each lower corner.
- For the aft corners, I had planned on getting an appropriate size single block on a swivel, making a loop of line and attaching that to the aft cleats for the sheets to run through.
Question #1
You need a topping lift to hold up the pole... it also used to level the outboard end the pole with its inboard mast ring attachment.
You need a fore guy, I think that's what you mean by downhaul. The fore guy should attach to the pole then run to a block on the foredeck before going back to mast or cockpit. The fore guy counteracts the after guy to set the fore and aft position of the pole. Many poles in your vessel's size range will have a "bridle" rigged to pole.... the top lift and fore guy attaches... it allows the pole to be swung end for end when jibing.
Question #2
No... you can use a single line for each side to act as either a sheet or guy. I will say that separate sheets and guys make jibing much easier... but it's easy to change.
Question #3
Attach a block to the rail as far back as possible for the sheets.. then run them forward to your winch. It is unlikely you'll need the winch but you can use the cleat to stop the sheet. Now..... this is important... you need to rig what's called a "twing" or "tweaker". This is a small block on the sheet/guy that has a control line running through a ring or small block mounted on the rail to a convenient cleat. The rail block is positioned forward of the jib lead and it allows the twing to perform a similar task with the sheet/guy.

With a guy the twing will give it an strong downward angle to create a strong triangular support to the pole with the top lift and fore guy. With a sheet the twing will help control the vertical level of the sail's clew and keep it from bouncing.

There are many ways to set up your boat..... but the principles are all the same....
Spinnaker Rigging Diagram

Sep 30, 2016
Well thanks guys. I need to buy a couple of blocks and some line to complete this set up, it sounds like. Ill lety you know how it turns out.

Sep 30, 2016
I finally got all the rigging and tried the spinnaker out. What a blast! I loved it. It was a lot of set up compared to a roller jib and main. But the down wind efficiency was pretty impressive. It was a good day for practice. Nice 3-5 knot winds. I tried out all the wind angles, gybes, and took it down and launched it a few times.

From what I could glean from the owners manual drawings, which are pretty vague, the 23.5 is rigged much like a classic dingy rig, when it comes to the spinnaker. There are no guy lines, just sheets. The pole has a topping lift and a down haul, both led to a double block on the base of the mast and run back to cam cleats.

One thing I couldnt find a good answer on and just made a best guess- the attachment of the pole to the sail tack? In one video, it showed the pole with the sheet running loose through the loop at the end of the pole., so the sheet could slide through the pole end. That didnt seem right on this setup, so I clipped the pole to the tack. Seemed to work great.

Overall, very easy to fly. And one more thing to master, which I like.

Last edited: