Hunter 23.5 in the Florida keys, are we crazy?

Mar 13, 2024
Hunter 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina
Hi all,
I have searched, and here are the questions I can't find answers for, I hope you can help.

We live in Missouri, and We bought a 1993 Hunter 23.5 last year. Our dream is to sail in the islands one day soon. We want to explore the islands and snorkel, dive and adventure the whole way. After sailing "Ziggy" and doing our research, the South Florida Keys seems like the place to start. I've had a hard time finding solid info that this is even doable, and- or if I am over-shooting the boats ability for distance for the time we will have. I'm thinking we will have 10-14 days, 7 days on the water. As for operator level, I am very confident in a powerboat, the sailboat makes me a little nervous, though I am quite willing to push some limits. I have a few questions:

- I have Used these items as resource:
- Everything I can find on google
- This website, especially the Trailor sailor forum (which has been great!)
- The Boat Galley: Florida Keys Quick Reference (I Will have 1 awesome dog)
- Cruising the Keys, 2nd Edition by Claiborne Young
- I Have been studying charts and watching "WINDY" every day

1.We have a 4HP motor, which handles the boat well in the lake, we have spent a lot of time on the boat his last year. We often camp multiple days, and as van goers the small space has been no problem. We can sail in 4+ Knots of wind, we are comfortable in 8-10 Knots, we reef early and often at 10-14 knots, for our boat we 2nd reef and/or motor past 15 knots. we get wild gusts on the lake we're in. I am planning on MOTORING A LOT as it will be our first time in the ocean and I feel safer under motor. cruising speed around 5 MPH, Top speed around 8. Avg 3-6 MPH on sail. We burn around 1/3 GAL per hour and can hold 8 Gallons.
----- - Can we handle ourselves in this region?

2. I am outfitting Ziggy now with all of the ocean basics I can. We just added an auto tiller, Garmin chart plotter with GPS/ Navionics, VHF, paddleboard dinghy, coast guard safety equipment basics (fire equipment, flares, PFD, etc.) Backup cell phone Garmin Navionics
----- -Is This enough to start to explore?

3. We plan on putting in somewhere between Marathon and Big Pine Key.
----- -Is this a good spot to launch? and can we make it back up if the wind picks up?

4. Will an inflatable paddle board be a good enough dinghy, or should we bring a motored small hard bottom with us?

5. We plan on launching near Marathon and heading NW to loop the backwater Keays to Key West. We are thinking protected waters are our safest bet. If conditions are perfect when we get there, maybe we'll try some time on the East coast of Marathon to see Sombrero Key. Am I crazy to think our boat can handle this?

6. Is "Sea-Tow" or "TowBoat" active here? and are they reliable?

--- Picture of our current plan attached:

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
First your boat can handle all of your planned cruising. This is not the Atlantic Ocean! We chartered an 33 footer out of Marathon, and I sailed a Sunfish out of Key West for two years. On the northwest side of the keys there is lots of very protected water and anchorages. We also anchored off Bahia Honda in west winds. There can be lots of lobster pots, but they are easy to miss. We didn’t need to use our motor at all, except leaving or entering port.

Your inflatable paddleboard will work fine. Bear in mind that much of the keys shores are mangrove, so you have to find a beach or dock to go ashore.

I would not worry to much about big winds outside of hurricane season. I only remember one day above 25 knots in the two years we were there. You just hole up in a safe place while a front blows through.

Your equipment is fine for coastal cruising anywhere If you have a depth guage - definitely needed in the keys. We snorkled all around Key West and some of the other keys. Saw lots of cool fish and crustaceans.

Bon voyage!

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The Florida Keys is an ideal area in which to cut your teeth on ocean sailing. Study your charts, watch your draft, don't hit any reefs or ground in a shifting shoal. The only suggestions I would add to your list of safety equipment are, include a VHF radio, incase you get outside cell reception. There is plenty of boat traffic that someone is most likely near by to hear a VHF hail. And two, being a second anchor and rode with at least ten feet of chain.

This is ocean sailing and it will feel quite different than lake sailing. There will be waves, and distances will look different. Your sails are your friends. They can make a rough sea state a like more comfortable than just motoring alone. Take the time to experience the different ways to rig and set and trim for it.

Sounds like a great time, and Marathon is an excellent place to start and finish. They have the best and most complete facilities in the Keys, including Fisherman's Hospital and a full service marina.

-Will

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
You do not say what month you plan to go. From my experience (4 trailer trips to the Keys), it is windy (15plus) most days December through April. While Marathon offers a lot, it is crowded and not the best area to do day sailing and see things. In my experience, Biscayne Bay, Card Sound, Barnes Sound and Blackwater Sound offer the best sailing, close to everything you would need (grocery, gas, restaurants). Boca Chita, Stiltsville, Elliot Key, Gilberts tiki bar, Alabama Jacks, are just afew of the things to see/do. Parking/storage can be expensive, so do a lot of research. Check John Pennecamp Park and Bahia Honda Park. They have ramps, parking and mooring options. Both are "oceanside", so your options are limited. Your 4hp may not be enough if its windy/lumpy out there. I have a 9.9 on my MacGregor 25 and that was very adequate.
Its a great experience to trailer your boat that far ( i drive down from Maryland) and certainly an adventure worth doing. Take it slow, dont' plan too much and don't make a firm schedule (the weather will always be a facture)

• Helpful

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
We had a 23.5 that we moved from a lake to Pensacola and sailed it there for several years. We took it to Destin on the ICW and out in the Gulf on occasion when it was nice. The long shaft 4hp was inadequate in power and length. The prop would come out of the water frequently, so we upgraded to a Tohatsu 6hp with a 25” shaft. That motor worked great.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sounds perfect. In addition to Navonics, I would add the Windy App to your collection of aids.

I also have two of these.... two of my kids independently saw them and thought "Dad would like that".... and I do...

They are really handy and keep the phone and tablet topped off... so I can use Windy and Navonics when I need to. I would do a little research on your phone carrier. I use Verizon and typically have no trouble getting reception as far out as 2 miles. I would start another thread about service and reception for your carrier in the regions you plan to sail.

May 1, 2023
Looking 30 Kernersville
Just wanted to "WATCH" this thread and ask you / folks responding, when you launch I assume they will have a good place to park the truck/trailer for several days up to the entire 2ish weeks? I am very interested in this trip and doing it myself and would want to stay on the water for a week or 2. So just thinking about my vehicle as part of that planning process. (OP are you coming in each night or also planning on spending nights on the water?)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Active captain used to be a great way to find local marinas and I would call ahead and ask about parking. AC is not as easy to use now that Garmin gobbled it up.

You might have luck getting a slot at a Public Storage or similar business. I parked my boat trailer at a Public Storage for $140/mo. Public Storage allows you to have a month by month lease and you can do it all online.

Google shows that PS is active in Florida
1711045517219.png

• Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
2. I am outfitting Ziggy now with all of the ocean basics I can. We just added an auto tiller, Garmin chart plotter with GPS/ Navionics, VHF, paddleboard dinghy, coast guard safety equipment basics (fire equipment, flares, PFD, etc.) Backup cell phone Garmin Navionics
----- -Is This enough to start to explore?
If you already have an iPad or Android tablet consider getting AquaMaps, very reasonably priced for an annual subscription and good charting. They also include both Active Captain and Waterway Guide reviews. Charts are updated almost daily.

Anchoring in the Keys can be a bit tricky in some spots. The bottom is often a layer of sand over limestone. If the sand is deep the anchoring is decent, where the sand is thin, there's no holding. This is a real issue around Key West. The Wisteria Island anchorage is better than the other one, but not by much.

• Helpful
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't think I would consider Hawk Channel ocean sailing. Large swells are broken by the reef. You can have a nasty chop or just nice sailing in 15 Kts. It is relatively shallow but not much of a concern as far as running aground unless you attempt to navigate to near shore where there are shoals. But it is well marked and an advantage of relatively clear water is that shallow areas are pretty easy to see.
I think there is a general West to East bias to the wind so going from Marathon to Key West is a nice downwind leg. Coming back maybe not so.

• Helpful
Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Bahia Honda State Park has a boat ramp and is a great spot for snorkeling and swimming. I would call them and ask about storing the trailer for a few days.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For Bahia Honda you’ll need advance reservations. Maybe well in advance.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
All the contributors have given you good advice. I can tell you for coastal cruising, you are underpowered with the 4 hp. 6 hp long shaft and 8hp should be considered. I was a dealer who also submitted the original plans of the 23.5 to Hunter

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
[QUOTE="shemandr, post: 1812410, member: 77923”] … I think there is a general West to East bias to the wind so going from Marathon to Key West is a nice downwind leg. Coming back maybe not so. [/QUOTE]

I think I meant from East to West. Stricken by the dreaded reversal between the ears syndrome. Prevailing wind in Southern FL is SE. Maybe less so in the waters off the keys where it might be more Southerly.

Mar 13, 2024
Hunter 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina
Thanks everyone for Your advice! You've given me more to research. @Crazy Dave Condon Thanks for the offer, We trailered from home last year, so we got pretty good rigging and trailering. I will look into a more appropriate powerplant

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@MKennon

if you ever have any questions about the 23.5, trailer or mast raising system, feel free to contact me. The original design of the boat along with the mast raising system came from me