Hunter 22 how to rig sheets for single-handing ? ? H216 H22

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
I bought a H22, 2013 model that is completely stock - no mods.

i want to rig the headsail sheets - furling genoa and an asymmetrical spinnaker for single handing.

how exactly, should i route the sheets to be accessible from back near the tiller??

thanks for your help

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
It would be helpful if you could post some pictures of your current setup so mods could be suggested.
These would include the inside and outside of how the bowsprit is rigged.
Do you have the traveler installed etc.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
The first thing you need is some sort of tiller holder. I prefere Tiller Clutch, but there are several out there. Tiller Tamer comes to mind. Single handing with just the main and genoa with a roller is pretty easy. The asym can be a bit harder. I would get familiar with the basics first.

As far as "how to rig sheets...", besides saying they all need to come back to the cockpit, you will need to be a bit more specific. What exactly do you need to know?

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
Thanks for your replies

The stock setup has the Genoa sheet lead to a standing block on a short track on the cabin roof - then to a cam cleat just above the bulkhead at the front of the cockpit. Can't reach to that cam cleat from the helm since the cockpit is 11 feet long:oops:

See attached photos.
IMG_2413.JPG
IMG_2411.JPG

So i'm thinking to install a new deck cleat where its accessible from the helm. Then lead the jib sheet from the existing standing block on the cabin roof - to an existing standing block on the deck -then - to the new deck mounted cleat.

For the spinnaker , i would run from the clew to the existing standing block then forward to the same new deck cleat.

So with only one new deck-mounted cleat, i can trim and fasten both the jib sheet and the spinnaker sheet.

i would mount the cleat between the two existing blocks, at a location convenient to the helm.

Does this make sense? Suggestions?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Thanks for posting the photos as they help a lot. I have a 216 which is very similar but don't want to assume anything about the H22-2 as I have never seen one and there are not many photos of it on the internet.

I singlehand my 216 a lot including using the spinnaker so I think I can help.

To clarify my understanding I think the short tracks on the roof for the furling jib (genoa) allow you to adjust sheeting angle (nice upgrade). The 216 doesn't have these, just a standing block close to the cam cleat.

The two standing blocks on the gunwales are both used for the spinnaker (or at least that's what I do when I single hand) My spin sheets go first to the aft most standing block then forward and through the other one. I started out using just the aft ones but when the spin loaded up I didn't have enough purchase to hold the sheet. Going through both blocks set to ratchet and it's easy to hold, draw and ease. If you have crew running the spin they are forward anyway so it makes it easy for them to. I never cleat or tie a knot in the end of a spin sheet because if I want or need to let it all go I want it to run free (but maybe that's just me). If I run out of hands when I'm flying the spin singlehand I just stand on the sheet for the short time I need to let go.

I'm not exactly clear as to your intent on the jib (genoa) sheet. Are you thinking you would run the sheet through the existing block on the "genoa car" and then to what I am referring to as the forward spin standing block (or some other block on the boat) and from there to your new cleat?

Can you post more photos please.
1) standing in the cockpit looking forward to show the "genoa car" track, block and cam cleat.
2) one of the mainsheet system
3) one of the bowsprit setup inside the cabin
4) one of the bowsprit end on the outside of the boat.

What would also help are the details of your current spin launch and retrieve system. For example do you have a "sock" for it, how is the halyard for it setup, how many cleats do you have on the mast to secure things to etc.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I like the cupholder! Is that attached with a suction cup or permanent? I also noticed the texture on the seats. The 216 are smooth so stuff including me really slides around!!
cupholder and seat texture.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
I like the cupholder! Is that attached with a suction cup or permanent? I also noticed the texture on the seats. The 216 are smooth so stuff including me really slides around!!
This cupholder was a great find. i couldn't find anything similar . Suction holder design makes it easy to move.

CUP HOLDER

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The suction cup is nice as you could move it easily if it was in the way.

Looking forward to the new photos when you get a chance. I have some ideas I would like to share but need the photos to be sure I’m not steering you wrong.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
This is a photo of the 216 cockpit. I laid the sheet out on the floor for reference. Note the length is when the jib is furled so is several feet longer when underway.

D6C8FBDA-C25A-4648-ABF2-931813772123.jpeg

This is a photo of how the bowsprit is rigged on the 216.

D6E5C46D-3B10-46CD-B16D-1569C1FB3F64.jpeg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The pics are great. Can you add the mainsheet? I’m not sure if it’s the same as mine.

I might have a few questions as I get a chance to study them a bit before I can offer some valid suggestions.

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
There is a cam cleat on the mast - inside the cabin - to hold the spinn tack line and another to hold the bowsprit outhaul. The main halyard exits the mast inside the cabin also.

i lost my mainsheet when i lost the boom so i am now making a new one. Same as yours

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
So I think our boats are quite similar in how they are rigged so I think I should try to explain what I do and let you pick and choose what techniques you want to try. Everyone’s style is different. I hope this helps.

I think the place to start is controlling the tiller when you are occupied with other tasks. @CrispyCringle mentioned the tiller clutch which I have.
http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/

One of the main differences in our boats is the tiller/rudder setup. Mine is inboard and yours is hung off the transom. I can often completely let go of mine and it pretty much stays in position. I suspect yours won’t do that as much so the tiller clutch would be a big help if not absolutely necessary singlehanding.

When I am alone on the boat I sit slightly forward of the standing block for the main sheet on the cabin floor. I find this lets me trim the boat with my weight (180lbs) better than being at the stern. I can use the tiller extension, be close to the mainsheet cleat which I release with my back foot if it’s gusty and I’m able to reach my jib and spin sheets easily from that position. I keep the mainsheet tail aft of the standing block and change sides by moving forward of the mainsheet rig unless gybing.

I do this for two reasons:
1) Part of what drives me to do it that way is the handle for my tiller is quite close to the mainsheet rig and as I mentioned I can let go of the tiller for brief periods and it stays tracking. This might not work for you as you might have to keep actively steering,, this is where the tiller clutch will help. Set course, flip the lever to engage, move, flip the lever to disengage, set new course.
2) Keeping the rope spaghetti under control is a must when your flying the kite.

Basic maneuvers:

Ease trim of headsail. I color code my jib sheets so it’s easy to grab the correct one off the cockpit floor. While I remain sitting in my preferred location I put just enough tension in the line and then rapidly snap the sheet down and then up. This will uncleat the line from the cam and I can let it out to where I want and then a quick downward jerk to recleat

143A9191-F2D8-41EF-BA1F-BCA0DD88982C.jpeg

Ease trim of main. Hold the sheet in your forward hand, tiller in aft hand, put some tension in the line and step down on the sheet with your back foot to uncleat. Ease to where you want and recleat.

Tack. As I enter the turn I uncleat the jib the same as easing, switch sides and pick up the new loaded sheet on the way by. Trim the jib where you wish. Again you might need to use the tiller clutch.

Gybe. In light to medium air I leave the mainsheet trim alone and while standing behind the mainsheet, facing the sail I grab the mainsheet with my forward hand while I steer with the aft hand. At the appropriate time as I steer through the turn I pull the main inboard, duck under the boom and ease the main out to the other side so the main doesn’t crash over. Once the main is across I switch hands on the tiller and change the jib sheets as in the tack. In strong winds, because the main is so powerful I will either sheet in the main and then ease it or do a chicken jibe. I’ve crash gybed once in about 25knots and don’t want to repeat that any time soon.

I need to ponder your spin setup and try to recall all my steps so will pause here until I get that worked out.

Edit: Add the spinnaker handling part

My 216 came with an ATN sock. I’m not sure you have a sock but it makes flying the asym simple and safe. If you don’t already have one you might consider a top down furler as an alternative. This is my asym rigged for illustration.

DB335055-2A2B-46A3-B8EC-887C012C7505.jpeg

A few comments on safety.

The foredeck on our boats is not a friendly place although your boat is improved from mine as the deck is textured, the cabin top is flatter and the rails appear higher. That said the more you can do while standing in the cockpit the better. Singlehanding and going overboard over the bow only to watch your boat sail away isn’t something I ever want to experience. I moor close to shore so while tied up I will often walk around the foredeck to acclimate in the event I have to go forward while sailing.

On days when I’m sure I want to fly the kite I will rig everything BEFORE I depart and once sure I haven’t made a mistake in rigging I stow it in the cuddy ready to hoist. When I’m done using it I also drop it into the cuddy and straighten it all out once I’m secured to my mooring. If the wind conditions warrant it and I want to use the aaym after I’m out it’s not too big a deal as I don’t have to go forward but it takes a while as I have to adjust heading so the process has more stop-start in it. The tack snap shackle on yours is attached to the furling drum with a little cable Is that just for transport? I keep my snap shackle and tack line looped back onto itself so I can reach it from the cockpit. I can’t figure out how you can reach yours without going forward???

6F6CC79D-D46D-4E92-AC87-C84A52A37217.jpeg

I never fly the asym with the main down. Imho being able to blanket the spin is essential.

I mentioned above how I rig the sheets through the twin standing blocks so won’t repeat that. Again color coding helps when things get busy. The jib sheets are stowed in the little pockets on the cuddy so they don’t add to the spaghetti.

To deploy If I haven’t launched the kite in a while I might start the motor and leave it idling “just in case”. I engage the tiller clutch to keep my heading and try to stand on the centreline of the boat so I don’t “steer” the boat with my weight.
I raise the sock out of the cuddy using the halyard running through the swivel block - cam rig on the mast, extend the bowsprit and set the initial tack line length.
I pull the sock up and tie it’s “halyard’ to a cleat on the mast, if I can I also trim in the loaded sheet so the sail fills quickly and doesn’t thrash. Things get REALLY busy at this point but my priority is the heading as I don’t want to crash gybe or round up so if the asym flogs a bit while I adjust the tiller clutch that’s one of the “risks” of single handing

I return to my preferred position holding onto the loaded sheet with my forward hand, release the tiller clutch and go as FAST as I can. This is the part where I also unclench my jaw and start smiling!

To douse I set a course to blanket the asym with the main, go forward and pull the sock down ideally on the same side you launched from. You can use this technique to gybe or leave the asym flying and steer the boat through the maneuver.This is where I might stand on a sheet as I need both hands to steer and to handle the mainsheet.

To answer your original question about adding the cleat, I wouldn’t add them for the purpose you propose. Here’s my thinking about that:
If you have your jib or spin sheet cleated it would be on the low side of the boat when it’s heeled. To cleat, adjust or uncleat you would have to move inboard or if something jammed you would potentially be completely on the low side vastly increasing heel angle. The 216 likes to be sailed flat so not the best from a performance or for that matter safety perspective imho.

If you do add a cleat I would suggest a backing plate. The dock cleats on the 216 seem quite solid but they are attached with screws. I think Hunter added some wood in strategic places to let them screw pieces on during manufacture. They might have changed their approach with the redesign in your boat but if not there might not be solid structure to just screw the cleat on in the location you want.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
great tutortial. thank you.

i had not thought of sitting far enough forward to handle the jib sheets with those cam cleats. i can see how that works when tacking. but when cruisin' along and making jib adjustments, i have to get the sheet off the cam and keep it off a while. i only sailed this boat twice, but i found that the sheet likes to drop back in the cam. - leaving me having to stand up or else whipping the reigns like a teamster runnin' from bandits o_O to keep them out of the cams. Well, a little hyperbole there.

i bent the bracket on the cam cleat / fairlead downward some so the sheet must now be pulled down slightly in order to engage the cam. i've not yet sailed with it that way but it seemed good in drydock test... ill let ya know.

this will seem pretty dumb. But if i want to sit aft of the mainsheet while solo or with crew whose skill is limited to movable ballast, how crazy is this: ???

run the jib sheet from the genoa car, down through the forward standing block (on deck low or high side). Trim from there. Then fasten to the proposed new deck cleat on the high side.
-----------------------------------------

i broke my wrist and so typing with a disadvantage and of course, not sailing :sosad:

Also i'm in the process of building a new boom (with one hand) since the original flew off the trailer - never to be seen again :oops: Leaves me lots of down time to "plan". So, thanks for the dialog!

-Curt
curt in colorado

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
It’s funny you mention the reins thing, I was going to use that as I grew up occasionally driving a team of horses pulling stuff but wasn’t sure anyone would get the analogy:)

My philosophy about an active lifestyle (sailing etc) is all about having fun. If sitting near the stern feels comfortable and gets you out there enjoying I would be the last one to tell you your wrong. Rig the boat so it works for you. I experimented a lot and found what worked for me and let’s not forget your boat although similar is different than mine.

Having said that I found crew weight and placement does make a big difference in performance but I like to try to go fast.

Are the winds really shifty where you sail? I don’t have to adjust my jib trim a lot but Lake Ontario near KIngston has pretty consistent wind.

If I follow you correctly you would have the port sheet go from the clew to the block on the car (same as now) skip the clam cleat and go through the forward port standing block on the gunwale and then cross the cockpit to your new starboard cleat so it’s accesible on the ‘high” side and of course the same on the other side of the boat. You could also try crossing over the top of the cuddy to the opposite side standing block to see which worked better. You should also try ratchet mode on and off on the standing block.

This would control the jib but you might get chafe as the sheet comes down over the cuddy roof to the standing block and of course you would inhibit movement forward to some degree by the tensioned sheet coming across the cockpit so not crazy just different. You would also lose the forward block to run your spin but maybe you guys from CO are stronger than us Canucks ;)

Again be sure the cleat is solid, I’ve seen gear pull out and get tossed. Pretty scary!

Sorry to hear about your mishaps but you should post how you are building your own boom.That would be interesting to read about.

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
I'm now making up a mainsheet assembly.

Should I make it 4:1 purchase or 5:1 purchase?

---------------------------
Since i'm starting from scratch, should I move the mainsheet system aft a way?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I'm now making up a mainsheet assembly.

Should I make it 4:1 purchase or 5:1 purchase?

---------------------------
Since i'm starting from scratch, should I move the mainsheet system aft a way?
This is what mine is currently. I find it has lots of purchase and is located on the boat and boom appropriately. I’m not sure if Hunter changed any dimensions during the redesign so can’t really comment on if you should change any locations. If you need measurements about where the bails are on the boom let me know.

F69F548D-C4E5-4EDF-AD32-CB4C574417DB.jpeg
5C9DEFE9-D73F-4FA8-957F-79933DDA7554.jpeg
C53925AB-C677-4EC9-B1D5-165D9878610D.jpeg
34A295CE-C6FB-4AF5-A9AD-10A32C71DFF0.jpeg
8DBEAF3A-38ED-4855-90CE-CF53FCCFA970.jpeg

The other option since your starting over is to rig an end of boom, traveller bridle thing that no one has yet to figure out but there’s interest in collaboration myself included.

See this thread:

Or you can install the across the seats traveller bar / mainsheet system that is an option on your boat.

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
This is what mine is currently. I find it has lots of purchase and is located on the boat and boom appropriately. I’m not sure if Hunter changed any dimensions during the redesign so can’t really comment on if you should change any locations. If you need measurements about where the bails are on the boom let me know.

The other option since your starting over is to rig an end of boom, traveller bridle thing that no one has yet to figure out but there’s interest in collaboration myself included.

See this thread:
Your offer to measure the bail locations is very timely. I'm installing them today. Could you give me the distance of each from the mast? I'd appreciate it.:clap:

--------------------

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Your offer to measure the bail locations is very timely. I'm installing them today. Could you give me the distance of each from the mast? I'd appreciate it.:clap:
I don’t know if I can help you today as I’m out powerboating with my Grandson after his hockey tryout, annual tradition. I will send ASAP though.

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
Another thought for comment:

You mention several places that you sometimes step on the mainsheet tail to release the sheet.

I Slightly modified the fiddle/cam cleat that I will install so pulling UP on the sheet tail releases it from the cam cleat. very simple.

here are the comparative pictures;
1568561307550.png

Cam switched so that the fairlead is on top. Pull up to release.

fiddle.jpg