Hunter 216 standing rigging replacement

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Given that Hunter supplied some nice drawings of the standing rigging I started using them as a baseline reference in my analysis. The drawing below nicely lays out length dimensions but neglects to mention diameter of pins (I had to go buy a new calliper as I couldn’t find my other one :) and now have to go to the storage area to measure)

It also references the term “C nut”.

7685BD9D-BA4A-4304-99B3-659886036075.jpeg

I wasn’t exactly sure what a “C nut” was so back to the internet!

Who would have thought the connector is shaped like a C ;) however is sure doesn’t look like a “nut” to me.

DF182C7D-3538-4400-87BB-82203A24A24D.jpeg

Pretty clever when you think about it. The pin let’s the turnbuckle rotate in the forward/aft plane and the C-nut lets it go port/starboard. In other words a flexible joint made with rigid components! The human mind never ceases to amaze.

Counts as my “learn at least one new thing a day” ! :)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I found this during my “research”. Somewhat over my head but I found it amazing the level of detailed engineering that goes into the design. I’m beginning to understand why the modern foiling boats cost so much.

Attachments

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Well I've read quite a number of articles about swaging and mechanical fittings and got stuck watching the videos of swaging machines in action ;) so I think I know enough about the process to have an informed opinion about what I eventually decide on.

The following is what I found to be quite a good summary/comparison of the two approaches.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theriggingco.com/2016/11/14/mechanical-or-swage/amp/

PDF version of the txt below in case the url fails in future.

Attachments

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Interesting (at least to me :)) article published by the International Institute of Marine Surveyors on synthetic rigging. They also publish a guide that sells for £20 for the e-version

"Self Help Handy Guide – “What a Marine Surveyor needs to know about Synthetic Rigging”, which covers the subject in greater depth, provides data and suggests types of inspection required for synthetic rigging." for

I have attached a PDF version of the article. Sorry about the fuzzy text but my PDF file generator didn't work properly on the webpage so I had to screen snap it all.

Attachments