Hull Speed

• Thread starter Allen Schweitzer
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dan

I dont understand!

call me stupid but, I just dont understand the bru ha ha bout getting an extra kt or kt and half. most stink potters are in a hurry to get somewhere, when I step on my boat I AM ALREADY THERE! with a sailboat IMHO it is the journey not the destination that matters. if I was in a rush I would buy a cigarette. Ive said before and Ill say it again, if your buddy gets there an hour before you do tell him to have dinner ready!

D

David

You may not believe this but for what it's worth

In 10-12 knots of true wind, I can hit 5-6knots pretty easily in my C30. She is a tall rig and I have a well used main and a 135 on the front. In 15-20 knots, I can hold a steady 7+ and have seen peaks of 8 knots. One thing to keep in mind is that the C30 really likes to be on her feet. I found that out one day when playing with the main on a broad reach. It seemed for every 2-3 inches I let the main out, I gained about a tenth of a knot in boat speed. Many of you will doubt the boat speeds I claim, but the 35-40 footers who get passed just stare blankly. These same boats will overtake me under power.

T

Tom

David of course you can - depends wind direction

Didn't anybody go and look at the C30 TR polars?? Its with a 150% genny. It shows that this boat can hit 6.5-7 knots in 10-12 knots true with true wind at 90 deg. It also shows that on a broad reach you can easily go above 7 knots. Keep tweeking those sails folks.

J

joe

Dan, it's about performance

... getting your boat in tune with the elements and coaxing her to perform at her best. For me, a major thrill of sailing is getting the most out of what you have that day. The challenge of getting the boat to 3.5 kts in light air is just as rewarding as maxing out hull speed on a 15kt day, or keeping her balanced in 30kt winds. I'm not in a hurry to get somewhere fast, if that were the case I'd be a powerboater. It's the performance during the journey that excites me, not just arriving at the destination for the party. But, hey, that's just me. I like to cook also.

D

dan

Joe, I kinda

understand where you are coming from. I learned to sail 23 yrs ago on my first boat a Prindle 16. I used to race her and loved to fly a hull. but now, performance to me is making a smooth tack without spilling your beer! sure, I like to hit 6.5 kts in a stiff breeze but, at the end of the day I like my steaks rare and my scotch neat! ;)

L

Lauraine

David, thank you for the validation! :) I am

not crazy nor am I exaggerating...

L

Lauraine

Allen, David brought up an interesting point

in his post regarding heeling that no one has thought to ask. Are you sheeted in so tight to center that you're heeled too far over to achieve optimum sailing speed? You can have all the things you mentioned just right except for that one thing which will slow you down considerably.

J

Joe

Dan, that's cool...

... I find myself enjoying those days more often also.... I love to tweek and tune... but I am far from anal about it. A lot has to do with whose company I'm in. When I visit my friends in Florida we sail their Island Packet with a very laid back attitude. It's very satisfying. But there are times when getting the boat to perform is a common thread between all the crew.. and I find that satisfying too... Other times I find quietly motoring down the intra-coastal, having snacks and beverages, to be strangely therapeutic. The bottom line is Dan: It's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.