hull speed and to much wind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tony

hi' just purchased a cat30 tall rig, by the way,Im new at this.so please have patience. my question is, what is the maxium speed I can expect from this boat? the most I did so far is 5.6 knots. winds were 15 to 19 knots.the other ques. how much wind is to much, for this boat.{without reefing}? thanks tony.

S

SEAN PHELPS

Fast Catalina 30

I've run at7.5 knots on a beam reach in JUAN de FUCA strait with a 100%jib and one reef. Probably 25 knots of wind. It all depends on the amount of wind, sailing direction and sail configuration. ADVICE: Reef early. SEANSHINE

D

Dave

Hull Speed and Too Much Wind

Hull speed is a function of the water line length. The formula for figuring hull speed is Speed=1.34Times the Square Root of the Water Line Length. This number can be exceeded (The 7.5 kts on a broad reach, but control of the vessel is iffy and touchy. In sort, you will be able to do about 7 kts. at best...Surprising reefed and using a storm jub (#1) you will find that you can do pretty close to this, so don't be afraid to lose speed by reefing....As mentioned....reef early- it allows you to keep in control...Being ovepowered (too much sail) is not good especially if you are a beginner. In racing we sometimes overpower ourselves for a short period of time, but even with a skilled crew it gets dicey. When all else fails, don't be afraid to "break" everything...jib and main sheets. The noise is scary, but it gets you back in control of the situation......Have fun and keep asking questions....DAVE

M

Melody Miller

Search the Archives

Hi Tony: Search the forum archives for messages on reefing. Several were posted this past June and July as a I asked a number of questions on the subject and received very good responses. It's all in the archives for you to see. See ya, Melody

Status
Not open for further replies.