Hull Liner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Rbone,
I am about to order my hull liner. any hints on installlation? What adhesive did you use?
thanks
keith

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Keith,
I'm almost finished installing the hull liner. The job went easier than I thought.
I estimated I needed 10 yds so I ordered 11 and I had a little left over. Sorry, I didn't take any photos but I can give you advice on installation.
I used the adhesive that Appleman used and I ordered 8 cans and I'll have maybe less than a can left. I put it on heavier toward the end then I did in the beginning.
The fabric is really nice to work with; it's stretchy and gives a little making installation easy.
I'll get some pics when I can.
Rich

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
I finally finished the hull liner installation. The job went easier than I thought. The part that had me stumped for quite awhile was the section on the starboard side between the hull and the counter on the galley. After much thought and noodling I found the key to remove the galley. It felt like a weight had lifted off of my shoulders. It had always just sat there like it was in control of the boat rebuild job. Something I always had to work around. Now I OWN it. The galley is mine.

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
I reinstalled the forward bulkheads and now I'm moving my attention to the deck, the mast and rigging and working on getting the halyards led back to the cockpit.
Rich

Oct 2, 2008
I finally finished the hull liner installation. The job went easier than I thought. The part that had me stumped for quite awhile was the section on the starboard side between the hull and the counter on the galley. After much thought and noodling I found the key to remove the galley. It felt like a weight had lifted off of my shoulders. It had always just sat there like it was in control of the boat rebuild job. Something I always had to work around. Now I OWN it. The galley is mine.
man it looks great. i went with painted bulkheads. i hope i will nt be dissapointed...
i do need some hints on how to install...ie. did you go top to bottom. side to side. how much spray. etc.
i too have a roll of carpet in the garage....
keith

Oct 21, 2005
Oday 26 Indian Cove, Guilford, CT LIS
Rich, I looks great! Looking at your pictures takes me back a few years. The fabric and adhesive really were easy to work with. Glad it went so well.

Rick

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
could you give some details of how you installed the liner. I.E did you go side to side, top to bottom. did the spray get everywhere, did it set up to fast, too slow, etc.
thanks
keith

Oct 21, 2005
Oday 26 Indian Cove, Guilford, CT LIS
I was lucky enough to be able to take out all four pieces whole. I am also lucky enough to have a concrete floor big enough to mark out 72" X 30'. My wife and I laid out the the pieces so they wasted as little fabric as possible. ( We are good old, penny pinching New England yankee farmers.) That is how we got away with ordering only 9 yards. We were then able to roll out the new fabric, pin the patterns to it and cut them out. The patterns also were clearly marked where they were tucked up between the hull and cabin roof liner. We lightly marked this line on the new pieces and then tucked them up between the hull and roof liner the same way. This held them in place. We then applied adhesive, let it dry and then smoothed the fabric as you would contact paper. It was very easy.

Oct 2, 2008
I was lucky enough to be able to take out all four pieces whole. I am also lucky enough to have a concrete floor big enough to mark out 72" X 30'. My wife and I laid out the the pieces so they wasted as little fabric as possible. ( We are good old, penny pinching New England yankee farmers.) That is how we got away with ordering only 9 yards. We were then able to roll out the new fabric, pin the patterns to it and cut them out. The patterns also were clearly marked where they were tucked up between the hull and cabin roof liner. We lightly marked this line on the new pieces and then tucked them up between the hull and roof liner the same way. This held them in place. We then applied adhesive, let it dry and then smoothed the fabric as you would contact paper. It was very easy.
I'm screwed......all my carpet tore when removing. It is in the dump somewhere.
Regarding Yankees :John Adams is my favorite founding Father...But Light Horse Harry (lee) is a close second...save President Washington of course.)
I will overcome. I spent all day on the boat repair again today. It is consuming my life.
keith

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Hey Keith, I still have my old hull liner in the garage. It's still in good enough shape to use for patterns. Send me an email and give me your number.
Rich

Oct 2, 2008
thanks rich, Do you have a 25? they are similar, but prob not close enough to use it as a pattern. But thanks for the offer.
I guess what i will do is create a paper pattern from the boat...sort of a dry run.
thanks again
keith

Oct 2, 2008
Josh asked me about hull liner, I thought the best way to answer his question was to bring up this good old thread.
It brings back a lot of memories eh guys? Wonder what happened to some of the folks on this thread. they seem like lost friends to me.
keith

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Thanks for updating this thread. I was curious about the hull liner adhesives. The photos are a real inspiration during my current tribulations.

Oct 2, 2008
Ah, those were the days

Rich
Yeah, I had a lot of fun doing that.

With any luck I should have my girl in the backyard by this sunday. A few of the guys are meeting me at the club saturday. If we can get the lift I'll be able to haul the boat home, and do some upgrades and repairs. She could easily stay in the water another year or two, but getting her home and cleaning her up will be fun.
I would like to replace the rudder, I think the only thing that needs resealing are the forward cleats. I bonus would be to install new Moor Analog Gauges
keith

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
since there is a current question about hull liner, i though i would, once again, resurrect this good old thread.......
BTW, it is a pretty day outside, and soon we are all going to be scrambling to get our boats back in the water. I am READY!!! to get back to the water.
keith

Status
Not open for further replies.