Hull Liner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Can someone recommend a glue or contact adhesive to attach the hull liner fabric?

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Heck, let us know what you used to get the old stuff off!

Chuck
Everlong
O'day 25
Warren RI
The old fabric was water stained and had mostly separated from the hull. The backing was dried out out and crumbling. I just pulled off the fabric and went over the old adhesive with an angle grinder with a 38 grit sanding blade.

Rich

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
To get the old stuff off, I used an angle grinder with some sort of sanding disk, sort of a loopy brillo pad kinda thing,You can see it in the picture below. I can't remember what it was now. I also found a wire brush to be very hand for the corners and areas you cant get too with the grinder, which will be a good many. The handle on the brush was shaped in such a way at to allow different types of grips for different angles. A handy feature.
Rich: Where did you get your fabric? I need to order that and the glue. I hate to use mastic because that stuff would probably not come off.
Keith

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
This is the fabric I bought-
http://www.garysupholstery.com/ntohull.html

It comes in 72" width and can cut it down the middle for most of the hull.
I figured about 10 yards

Rich
Rich,
That looks like good stuff, but I am not sure I want to use that particular material. It looks more like carpet, and not the woven 'stuff" that we had. I am concerned that thicker material holds more moisture behind it, trapping it between the cabin wall and the material = Mold. There should be no plastic barrier like there is on the back of floor carpet. This allows the moisture to escape. Floor style carpet has a barrier to keep moisture off the floor. Disclaimer: At least that is my understanding. And as I go along I have found that my understanding can acutally be my misunderstanding!
Early on in this process, i ran across a thread addressing cabin liner. This was the supplier in that. They recommended 3-m spray adhesive.
http://www.sailrite.com/Headliner-Carpet-Type-Cream-72?sc=2&category=37
keith

Oct 2, 2008
P.S. Whatever adhesive I use, i will do a small test area first. I am learning that the hard way

Oct 2, 2008
OOps
one more comment, I looked at the product you have again, and ignore my earlier comments, that is obviously a good product, and not the "carpet" I thought it was
Sorry
keith

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
You're right, the fabric has no backing. The stuff looks like the hull liner I had in my '84 S2 6.9.
Have them send you some samples.

When looking for fabric, check the price per yard with the width. Like I said earlier this comes in 6' widths.

Rich

Oct 10, 2006
Oday 222 Mt. Pleasant, SC
I'm getting closer to putting my hull liner on. I've got a tub of indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive to try out. Hopefully it won't bleed through if I trowel it thin enough. I got some liner that is fairly close to what was on the boat originally from yourautotrim.com. When you remove the old liner, pull quickly like a bandaid. I learned this trick after I was about 90% done. Any remaining fibers I burned down with my propane torch, then I sanded the remaining glue off.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
That's a good price for that fabric.
I almost threw out the old fabric but changed my mind at the last minute. I'm glad I did.
How adhesive did you need?

Rich

Oct 21, 2005
Oday 26 Indian Cove, Guilford, CT LIS
That's a good price for that fabric.
I almost threw out the old fabric but changed my mind at the last minute. I'm glad I did.
How adhesive did you need?

Rich
They advised 1 can per yard, so I ordered 8 cans, figuring in waste. I had a little over a can left.

Rick

Oct 2, 2008
Rbone,..so how did the installation go
My Girl has a new port on the port side, and i am installing the starboard port now, just came in to cool off.
My forward hatch should come tuesday....hope it fits!
keith

Jul 14, 2009
2 O'Day 272LE Cole's Point, VA (NNK)
This is very helpful to me. I bought a 272 last winter, it should have been named "The Hippy Glider". It has faux finished wood grain over the interior frp, stars and moons on the headliner and table, shag carpet hull liner aft the companion way. I need to get at things behind and was planning to just rip it off and leave it as I only day sail. I would just take my lumps when I sell it. Most of the shag is gone from the aft cabin/storage locker.

How much time do you have invested in the project? I checked the link and the liner cost was not bad at all.

Oct 2, 2008
Hey, maybe that would start a trend....

This is very helpful to me. I bought a 272 last winter, it should have been named "The Hippy Glider". It has faux finished wood grain over the interior frp, stars and moons on the headliner and table, shag carpet hull liner aft the companion way. I need to get at things behind and was planning to just rip it off and leave it as I only day sail. I would just take my lumps when I sell it. Most of the shag is gone from the aft cabin/storage locker.

How much time do you have invested in the project? I checked the link and the liner cost was not bad at all.
Whats wrong with that!;)...But then i am an ex-(or is it latent) hippy
We need pix of that.

Oct 10, 2006
Oday 222 Mt. Pleasant, SC
They advised 1 can per yard, so I ordered 8 cans, figuring in waste. I had a little over a can left.

Rick
What is the adhesive like? Is it spray adhesive or something you trowel onto the hull? Consistency?

Oct 21, 2005
Oday 26 Indian Cove, Guilford, CT LIS
What is the adhesive like? Is it spray adhesive or something you trowel onto the hull? Consistency?
The website has a very good description, it is a spray, with a flat pattern spray which is also adjustable for width. It sprayed on very easily with little or no over spray. It was also, I thought, very low oder. I did however, have a box fan blowing in from the companionway, and one blowing out from the forward hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.