Hull cracks forward of the swing keel

Apr 22, 2020
Catalina 25 Lake Jacomo
I recently bought a 1981 Catalina 25. Overall, it's in fantastic shape. However, even though we inspected the hull, I didn't notice until yesterday two cracks in the hull immediately forward of the swing keel. It's in dry dock now. When I put my fingernail in the crack, I was able to draw a small amount of water from the crack.
How serious does this look? I assume I need to remove the area just around both cracks to see how deep they truly are. But given the point on the hull where these cracks originate and currently expire, I don't know if it is a stress crack, maybe the keel forcibly rammed it, or something else.
There are two brothers who work with our Jacomo Yacht Club (Brothers Ritter) who are going to inspect it tomorrow. But I'm not a passive boat / home / car owner and like to at least understand the architecture of a problem and how to fix it...even if actually fixing it is out of my skillset range and I leave it to the experts. For this, I plan to let them fix it (they are well trusted), so this post is more for my own education.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Matt, that is a result of swing keel impact. It can be caused by hitting an obstruction like a log or rock, which swings the keel back some and then drops hard when clear. Also (and more commonly caused by) cable and/or winch failure. Definitely have Seth and Zac check that out to see how extensive the damage is. If it was me, theres no way I would launch until that's fixed. I'll be launching tomorrow afternoon as well.