Hull construction at keelson, O'Day 40

Aug 21, 2020
Oday 40 Dalhousie Yacht Club
Anyone familiar with the hull construction/layup at the keelson? is it balsa core as per the remainder of the hull or solid glass?

my keel joint is weeping water, even after 1/8" drill holes and 4 months on the hard. trying to eliminate water sources.

thinking it would be soild glass, as construction with balsa in the 6-8"drop and small width keel mounting surface may have been more pain then cost savings during fabrication.

to clarifiy, the stub, or small drop in the hull to the keel joint is what I am calling the keelson. it is also what forms the bilge

Aug 21, 2020
Here is a pic showing the keelson. Blue is the lead keel, white section droppong from the hull to the keel is what I call the keelson.

would this be balsa core or solid glass?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I thought that the keel stub or what you are calling the keelson, is solid glass.

I have a 1988 O’Day 322 and it is solid glass. The only foam core is in the deck.

How do you like the O40? There is an abandoned one at my marina...would like to get a look at her and see if she could be rehabilitated. What year is your boat?

Greg

Greg

Aug 21, 2020
Greg, she is an 87. Bought it Aug of last year and been working away learning as I restore her. have not had the chance to sail her yet so I can not comment on that, but she seems to be of good construction and built with many top of the line components from the time. The majority of the work I need to do is due to her sitting neglected for 2 years on the hard (never covered), and prior to that, she was simply splashed in the spring and hauled out in the winter by the marina. never used and never maintained. The engine hours of 310, tell the story well.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sounds like she will be a good boat when you get her ready to sail.

Greg

Aug 21, 2020
I beleive the 40 ( not sure of the 39) may have been ODays only model with a cored hull. so if your hull is solid then your keel stub would be soild aswell

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
Don-
Sorry to see that you are having issues. I’d recommend calling Rudy at D&R Marine in MA, he worked on the production of the last O’Days and seems to be the leading authority. Don’t recall if I asked you if your boat has a below decks autopilot,if so, could you please send me a pic of the install?

BTW, Greg- although I’ve only had my boat a short time, we really love it. Great value for the dollar and she sails very well.

Lou

Aug 21, 2020
Hi Louis,

Would love to be able to send a pic of an autopilot install, but I unfortunately don't have one. It is on the wish list, so you'll have to pioneer the way.

I will give Rudy a call, thanks for the contact.

Have been spending my time in the garage, refinishing interior teak peices that where removable.

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
If by saying "cored" you are asking if there may be a layer of plywood along the bottom of the keel stub, like Catalina used to do, and which resulted in the famous "Catalina smile" when that plywood deteriorated over time, I doubt that is the case.. I have never heard of any O'Day using that construction method or having that problem. If you want to know for sure, drill out a small core from the bottom of the keel sump and check. If the keel joint is clearly weeping, though, then regardless of the material, the keel joint may be compromised and the best thing to do is to drop the keel, inspect and perhaps reinforce the keel stub, and re-bed with 5200.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
My 84 is solid glass. Get a pro to look at it but given the pattern of dribbles all the way along the joint it co d just be condensation as i found one mourning years ago. Thats alot of water to drain from the bildge. Do really have that much water in the bildge? If you cut a small amount of caulk away is there any moisture? A moisture meter might show the glass is dry. Thickest part of mine was 7/8 inch max.
You may also want to search the oday pages here about keel bolt torque.
You can confirm if solid glass by drilling hole in side of keel stub while adding a garboard drain plug.

Aug 21, 2020
bilge is dry. Water weeping is only on the Port side, about 3/4 the way back. I drilled two 1/8" holes about 4in apart in this location and water has been weeping out since October.

had a survey completed in August, he said it was mostlikely water entering through the exterior of the joint.

I plan on drilling a test hole inside the bilge at the keel bolt closest to the weeping area. Fingers crossed the core is solid and dry. (if there is a core)

will let you know what I find and maybe some better pics.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that O'Day put lead ingots in the keel shell and then poured resin on top of that. I highly suggest drilling a hole or two in the side of the keel to ensure that there isn't water inside it. Water got inside of mine and caused a nice crack one winter

Aug 21, 2020
The 40's keel is solid lead. Do I understand correctly that your keel is too, and there was a void in the casting that water infiltrated.

what model is yours?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
There should not be a core. I have never seen oday use cores in hulls. If bildge is dry and only yhe shady side has the problem you might be lucky and it is only condensation. Are moisture readings on the keel stub low?
Good luck and keep us posted.