How to start my Ericson 31 1977

Oct 29, 2020
Erickson 31 in a marina
I do not know how to sail my marina needs to inspect my boat and they have requested a detailed step by step of how to start her up. Any assistance would be appreciated

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
What engine? All Ericsons aren’t alike.
Parenthetically, are you implying whoever is inspecting it doesn’t know enough to figure out how to start it?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Yikes! How did you get a boat you don’t know how to sail or start?

I don’t have an Ericson, and you don’t mention what sort of motor your boat has...but here are a few general tips:
1) assuming an inboard engine, check for and open a cooling water thru-hull. Follow a hose from the engine-mounted water pump to try and find the thru-hull.
2) check batteries to see if they are charged up. You may need to turn the battery switch on.
3) Check the engine oil level, and cooling water or AF if the boat has a heat exchanger.
4) Check for fuel. Make sure fuel shut off valve is open (normally would be).
5) if the engine control panel (usually mounted in the cockpit) has a setting for glow plugs, you should warm those first. Then give the engine a little throttle, and press the start button. There should be a tone when the key is turned on, before the engine starts.

a Diesel engine needs 3 things to run...fuel, air and compression.

Oh yeah, you might want to know how to STOP the engine too....

Most Diesel engines will have an engine stop lever somewhere near the control panel. You pull he lever out to shut off the fuel supply to the engine, which will starve it for fuel and kill the engine.

Not sure if this is helpful...you may just need to tell the Marina you don’t know anything about the boat,and that they probably can figure it out.

Good luck!

Greg

Oct 29, 2020
Erickson 31 in a marina
Yikes! How did you get a boat you don’t know how to sail or start?

I don’t have an Ericson, and you don’t mention what sort of motor your boat has...but here are a few general tips:
1) assuming an inboard engine, check for and open a cooling water thru-hull. Follow a hose from the engine-mounted water pump to try and find the thru-hull.
2) check batteries to see if they are charged up. You may need to turn the battery switch on.
3) Check the engine oil level, and cooling water or AF if the boat has a heat exchanger.
4) Check for fuel. Make sure fuel shut off valve is open (normally would be).
5) if the engine control panel (usually mounted in the cockpit) has a setting for glow plugs, you should warm those first. Then give the engine a little throttle, and press the start button. There should be a tone when the key is turned on, before the engine starts.

a Diesel engine needs 3 things to run...fuel, air and compression.

Oh yeah, you might want to know how to STOP the engine too....

Most Diesel engines will have an engine stop lever somewhere near the control panel. You pull he lever out to shut off the fuel supply to the engine, which will starve it for fuel and kill the engine.

Not sure if this is helpful...you may just need to tell the Marina you don’t know anything about the boat,and that they probably can figure it out.

Good luck!

Greg
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it

Oct 29, 2020
Erickson 31 in a marina
It’s an inboard engine 1977 and yes apparently the harbor master does not know how to start it

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It’s an inboard engine 1977 and yes apparently the harbor master does not know how to start it
Not what year engine, - what kind (manufacturer and size)?

As I said, if someone doesn’t know how to start it, whatever it is, he isn’t qualified to inspect it.

Tell us what brand engine it it and we can give you some advice as different engines have different operation processes

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sorry my friend, but you need to ask or hire someone who knows about sailboats with motors to physically come to yours and get you checked out. Then you can ask questions that can be answered immediately. Is the motor gas or diesel? for instance. There's a big difference in procedures, maintenance and operation. So tell us what kind of engine it is, then for crying out loud, try to find a reference manual for your boat.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Without knowing if it’s gas or Diesel along with make it’s hard to tell. Also how old is the fuel.