How to splice 4 Conductor 18AWG Cable?

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
The reason the compression post rotted away on my H34 was that the multiple wires allowed water to run down into the boat. The boatyard that replaced mine with a stainless compression post used a RV/ Truck trailer connector that is only one covered bundle that penetrates the deck and poured a butyl (?) black rubber around it which effectively seals so that no water can trickle in once it hardens, something that is hard to accomplish with multiple wires penetrating the deck (hard to establish a good seal around each wire.) Each year when the mast is stepped you just plug the connectors together inside the base of the mast as it is stepped.

This then runs down the compression post and into the rear settee where the waste holding tank is and that is where the wires are connected to where they need to go. Easily accessible if any problems arise.

Could send a pic if desired when at my boat this weekend

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
USCG at my home also said if a wooden boat had been "bottom painted" before launch, it wouldn't have sunk. FWIW.

Solder and heat shrink in my book.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@SabreToothedEngineer you started the post with the issue of 18awg wire splicing. The responses have all been addressing this using a variety of options. The one by @Hello Below appears to address the issue fairly well. Multiple small gage connections in a water proof connector.
But I wonder if the issue is larger. You stated they cut all the wires.
I did that on my mast refit. I have a deck step mast. I do not plan a frequent mast removal but in the case I needed a way of removing the mast without cutting the wires. I needed a way to eliminate water coming down the wires into the boat. My mast is deck stepped.
Here is what I did.
Drilled holes through the mast step. Stuck aluminum tubes into the holes and sealed them with 4200 caulk. Attached a coiled length of hose to the tube and passed the wires through the hose and tubes into the boat. Water running down the wires drops off the drip loop of the wire and does not get into the boat. The mast bottom has weep holes to allow any water to escape the mast onto the deck.
Here is an image of the mast step.

B444D386-AB2A-454F-B060-3867EAA9A069.jpeg

Once the wires are through the deck they are attached to an electrical block.
DC05599A-E455-478F-9502-92570291FB67.jpeg

The wires are hidden be a wood chase attached to cover the wires. Thanks to the wood working skills of my friend and craftsman @LeslieTroyer .
4A172838-A2B5-4870-AA7D-E13DAE47C527.jpeg

I offer it as an alternative way to get your wires into the boat.

Nov 26, 2014
HUNTER h31 Northport L.I.
I've used Deutsch fittings on my mast wires easy to connect and easy to disconnect wire coiled in base of mast never a problem.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
By "sole means" they mean two straight wires connected only by solder.
western union pigtail splice and solder does not violated the reg

Mar 26, 2017
Irwin 38 Palacios
I recently made the same connections in my boat, the splice was in the bilge at the base of the mast. I CAREFULLY soldered the connections, covered them with heat shrink, then pushed the connections down into the bottom of a small pill bottle. I filled the pill bottle with epoxy. I think the connection will last longer than the wire...

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
By "sole means" they mean two straight wires connected only by solder.
western union pigtail splice and solder does not violated the reg
A WU splice does not meet the ABYC definition. WU splices are meant and intended to be used only on solid conductor wire, not finely stranded wire.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Debating whether solder or crimping is better on a boat is like a religious debate. The only distinction is that ABYC isn't a religion.