how to secure back of boat to the trailer ? ? ?

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
I bought a Hunter 22 - with open transom. In other words - no transom.
How should i secure it to the trailer? The trailer is Load Rite (came w/ boat) full length sailboat trailer.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You have a cleat on the gunwale on each side near the stern. Run a ratchet strap around that cleat and back to the trailer and snug it. Don't over tighten and put a twist or two in the strap so it won't start vibrating when you drive.... the slapping will mark up the side of your boat if you don't. Drive about 30 min and stop to check the snugness. Tighten if needed.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I've always done what @Hunter216 does except I tied it down to the trailer frame. Most bunks aren't held in very well and could easily rip out if things go wrong. Horn cleats can rip out so I always avoided using them when towing
@rgranger brings up an EXCELLENT point - always check your straps after a few miles. Thing can and do loosen and shift. Also, I noticed a big difference between a 1" and a 2" strap

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I've always done what @Hunter216 does except I tied it down to the trailer frame. Most bunks aren't held in very well and could easily rip out if things go wrong. Horn cleats can rip out so I always avoided using them when towing
@rgranger brings up an EXCELLENT point - always check your straps after a few miles. Thing can and do loosen and shift. Also, I noticed a big difference between a 1" and a 2" strap
The yellow strap on my setup is attached the frame of the trailer.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
My apologies. You are correct
@Project_Mayhem I should have provided a more detailed description :)

The photo shows how the PO and I prepped the boat the day I brought it home. Overkill but then again nothing bad happened.

The yellow ratchet strap continues to be used each time I move the boat. With the 500lb centreboard resting on its tray and a pretty light hull the tensioned strap keeps it from budging. I would caution against over tightening the strap as it will tweak the rub rail rubber. (wow say that 3 times quickly! );)

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
What is shown is the preferred method, one thing to watch is the chafe on the strap. I towed a dingy a bit over 1000 miles with 2 straps across the stern. When I arrived on my last day, only 1 of the straps was still intact. The other one had chafed through and was dragging. I got lucky. Just check the straps at each stop to ensure everything is fine and you should be good.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Those ratchet straps sold in hardware stores are just the ticket for securing a boat, as @Hunter216 illustrated. I glued a few patches of spare carpet to the ratchet and sections of the strap that touched the hull and rubrail with construction adhesive to prevent chafe, and tightened everything snug. It's amazing what a little vibration at 70 mph can do to a hull after a few hours.

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
In my only two trips so far, I did use a big ratchet strap looped over near the stern and clipped on to the trailer frame.

That has the effect of "squeezing" the boat sides toward each other. Can that threaten hull integrity over time? From the responses, I gather that y'all are not worried that is a problem.

Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom !

-curt

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
In my only two trips so far, I did use a big ratchet strap looped over near the stern and clipped on to the trailer frame.

That has the effect of "squeezing" the boat sides toward each other. Can that threaten hull integrity over time? From the responses, I gather that y'all are not worried that is a problem.

Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom !

-curt
The PO of my Starwind 19 never used a strap. He said he never ran into any issues. as soon as I pulled out of his view I put one on. If the strap is loose the boat bounces all over the place. It was harder to keep it under control while towing. Ive never had any known issues caused by overtightening a ratchet strap. I even used one to hold the boat up while I dropped a bunk. I did however lift the boat off the trailer using two very large slings and two winches. The sides of the boat got pinched as I raised it. This method resulted in some gelcoat cracks in the cabin

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I hate hardware store ratchet straps with a passion. I use this kind of gunwale tie down strap: Boat Gunwale Tie-Down Strap, 13' x 2" Web #15221-7 I also make sure I have a proper chain hook for the bow eye, just in case. Many trailering how-to articles recommend two gunwale straps, angled at opposing angles such that the boat cannot move forward or backward on the trailer. Guys that trailer runabouts frequently do this, because we've all seen those horrorshow pictures of boats on the back of pickups, or sliding off onto the road. Plus, if one of you gunwale straps were to break, you'd still have a second on there.

When I strap a small boat to a trailer, or my dinghy or kayaks to the roof rack (or a load of wood to build said dinghy or kayak to the roof rack,) I use webbing cam buckle straps, looped around the bars and over the load. In my experience, it's nigh impossible to get the typical metal hooks of a ratchet strap to hook correctly on anything except for a dedicated cargo D ring. See how much I hate ratchet straps? ;)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am going to assume you purchased a rather newer boat as there were only two Hunter 22's one built till 1984/1985 and the other which is fiberglass vs plastic like the 216. Take rgranger's suggesting that you twist the tie down strap on both sides to prevent wind slapping and go about 10-20 miles pulling over and checking all is still secure. Make sure the hubs are not super hot which if they were would suggest bearing issues.

Besides the winch strap on the winch stand, you should have a safety chain too. If not, put one on. twist the chain with enough to hook to the bow eye to prevent slapping against the hull. Suggest that you also tie down the winch handle as well if in the event the locking mechanism should fail. Also make sure your bearings are greased with water compatible grease, check lug nuts and please check you tire pressure (never over Inflate)