How to route halyards to cockpit for a 192?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Have any of you routed your halyards to the cockpit?

I tried to do a search, but the search amalgamates results from all forums, making parsing the results difficult.

Routing halyards aft on a 222 is relatively simple, but on the 192, the house is shorter, so you have to find a way to route the halyard around the hatch slider risers molded into the house. These go all the way forward to the edge of the house:

IMG_2263 (1).jpg

I thought I had seen someone's pictures of a relatively innovative way to do this affixing some form of block to the hatch slider riser, but I'll be darned if I know what they did, or where to find the picture. I vaguely remember saying to myself "I should remember this in the future..." but I got nothin'...

Mind you, this project is for a friend's 192. I'm quite happy going forward to the mast to deal with the main.

Thanks in advance!

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I’ve been thinking about this same thing lately for the main halyard.

It’s not the prettiest but you could use a block near the base of the mast and go over the sliding hatch to where the jibsheet cleats are. Something like a 40mm Harken Ti Lite tied near the base of the mast. That would allow the line to make the cleanest turn possible and aim it to the side without putting much friction into the system. Just make sure the block is tied high enough by the mast that the line clears the hatch as it goes to the cleat.

I would try this on my boat but I have to go to the mast anyway to release the lazy jacks and topping lift. I don’t think there’s a real way to get all 3 back to the cockpit so I’m stuck going to the mast (which is still easy to do).

I don’t think there’s a pretty way to do it but it could be done.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I guess we're talking about sailing off a dock, or off a trailer on which the mast stays up. The more blocks and turns for running rigging is just making setup and breakdown more complicated for a trailer sailor.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I’ve been thinking about this same thing lately for the main halyard.

It’s not the prettiest but you could use a block near the base of the mast and go over the sliding hatch to where the jibsheet cleats are. Something like a 40mm Harken Ti Lite tied near the base of the mast. That would allow the line to make the cleanest turn possible and aim it to the side without putting much friction into the system. Just make sure the block is tied high enough by the mast that the line clears the hatch as it goes to the cleat.

I would try this on my boat but I have to go to the mast anyway to release the lazy jacks and topping lift. I don’t think there’s a real way to get all 3 back to the cockpit so I’m stuck going to the mast (which is still easy to do).

I don’t think there’s a pretty way to do it but it could be done.
He has a Z-Spars mast, with the new design mast base, so it has effectively a mast organizer plate with a standup block. The halyard is internal. I doubt the block is tall enough for the halyard to go over the hatch risers, but we can look into that...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You may be able to mount a halyard lift block HORIZONTALLY to the riser to wrap the line around the corner on its way aft. A block like this, or something similar, with a becket to keep the line captive.

May 7, 2016
O'Day 222 Dubuque, IA
I don't have a top-down view of my 222, but the photo looks very similar in layout... I used a double cheek block on each side - sorry the photo isn't the best. My halyards are internal with the old Z-Spar mast foot.
Cheek Blocks.jpg

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I don't have a top-down view of my 222, but the photo looks very similar in layout... I used a double cheek block on each side - sorry the photo isn't the best. My halyards are internal with the old Z-Spar mast foot.View attachment 169760
Yeah, that's the thing with the 222, you have a gap between the outside corner of the hatch riser and the edge of the house, where you can mount bocks and run back. On the 192, there isn't room. But thanks!