How to rig outhaul (and the rest) on O'Day 272? The manual doesn't show the outhaul.

Jul 7, 2020
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
Can someone explain, or better yet show a diagram or photo, of how to rig the outhaul on an O'Day 272?

I installed a new sail, which is a loose foot sail unlike the original O'Day sail. The O'Day 272 has a 3 rope clutch. This is for the main halyard, main sheet, and reefing line.

So where does the 14' 6" outhaul go? I assume through the boom, but what then where it meets the mast?

What are the two Block As in this diagram from the O'Day 272 manual? My O'Day 272 doesn't have these. If yours does, can you show me a photo of what my O'Day should look like?

Thank you, I really appreciate the help.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Interesting the rigging diagram is silent on the outhaul that is attached to the clew of the mainsail (the ring in the lower aft corner at shackle E) and pulls the sail back toward the end of the boom, through the boom, out the boom, down the mast and either cleated off on the mast or routed back to the cockpit through the rope clutch. Can you locate the outhaul based on this description and trace where it goes? Can you take photo(s) of the outhaul attached to the mainsail clew and lines exiting the boom at the mast, which should be the 5/16" reef line and 1/4" outhaul per the manual?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Not an O'Day owner here. But from your diagram it looks straight forward. No, there isn't room on your clutch. But the outhaul doesn't need to go to a clutch and in fact that may add too much friction. And it is sorta combersome to adjust. The outhaul could exit the boom on either side and terminate a cleat of some sort. The cleat could be on the aft of the boom for adjustment at the helm or cockpit crew. Or it could terminate to a position accessible from the rail for crew. I've seen the outhaul go to a cam cleat on just forward of the companionway along with the Cunningham and Vang.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The manual on my O’Day 322 has almost the same diagram…but with a 4-rope clutch.
5199CC80-CAC7-4E6A-B272-A2622BBA87B4.png
And no mention of the outhaul even though it is shown on the diagram…but I have a rope clutch and winch on the ports side of the cabin top to….do you?
E59AF713-BF46-4A07-9013-280D3DFB9E67.jpeg
Are you using you reef line and main sheet? You could run the out haul to one of those spots on the clutch.

The outhaul is pretty simple..starting at the clew of the sail, around a sheave in the end of the boom, through the boom, out the mast end (over some sort of sheave), down to a block to turn to a deck organizer, back along the spray hood to a clutch and winch.

E31317DB-135A-441E-9F85-DA58198D7CB5.png

I think you need a winch to pull the outhaul tight…

Greg

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Block "A" in your photo would be attached to the sail with probably some nylon webbing to jiffy reef the sail. More likely you have a grommet in the sail for the reef line to go through that pulls the luff of the sail down to the boom then the line runs back to the leech to pull the leech down to the boom. I've never seen a block used on the sail like that and I think it would be a chafe point rubbing on the sail when not reefed. What kind of mast and boom do you have on the 272?

Jul 7, 2020
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
Interesting the rigging diagram is silent on the outhaul that is attached to the clew of the mainsail (the ring in the lower aft corner at shackle E) and pulls the sail back toward the end of the boom, through the boom, out the boom, down the mast and either cleated off on the mast or routed back to the cockpit through the rope clutch. Can you locate the outhaul based on this description and trace where it goes? Can you take photo(s) of the outhaul attached to the mainsail clew and lines exiting the boom at the mast, which should be the 5/16" reef line and 1/4" outhaul per the manual?
I wish I could, but the outhaul has become unattached from wherever it went to when exiting the boom.

Jul 7, 2020
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
Not an O'Day owner here. But from your diagram it looks straight forward. No, there isn't room on your clutch. But the outhaul doesn't need to go to a clutch and in fact that may add too much friction. And it is sorta combersome to adjust. The outhaul could exit the boom on either side and terminate a cleat of some sort. The cleat could be on the aft of the boom for adjustment at the helm or cockpit crew. Or it could terminate to a position accessible from the rail for crew. I've seen the outhaul go to a cam cleat on just forward of the companionway along with the Cunningham and Vang.
There is a small cleat on the port side of the mast, but it already has the topping line attached to it. Would that work?

Jul 7, 2020
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
The manual on my O’Day 322 has almost the same diagram…but with a 4-rope clutch.
View attachment 197266
And no mention of the outhaul even though it is shown on the diagram…but I have a rope clutch and winch on the ports side of the cabin top to….do you?
View attachment 197267
Are you using you reef line and main sheet? You could run the out haul to one of those spots on the clutch.

The outhaul is pretty simple..starting at the clew of the sail, around a sheave in the end of the boom, through the boom, out the mast end (over some sort of sheave), down to a block to turn to a deck organizer, back along the spray hood to a clutch and winch.

View attachment 197268

I think you need a winch to pull the outhaul tight…

Greg
No, I only have a 3 rope clutch (and winch) on the starboard side. The main halyard, main sheet, and reef line are going through it.

Jul 7, 2020
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
Block "A" in your photo would be attached to the sail with probably some nylon webbing to jiffy reef the sail. More likely you have a grommet in the sail for the reef line to go through that pulls the luff of the sail down to the boom then the line runs back to the leech to pull the leech down to the boom. I've never seen a block used on the sail like that and I think it would be a chafe point rubbing on the sail when not reefed. What kind of mast and boom do you have on the 272?
The mast is a Z-Spars (Z260?). There are two rows of grommets in the sail for reefing, though this is a new sail and I haven't ever done reefing so I'm not sure how to rig the reef line properly.

Jul 7, 2020
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
Thank you everyone for the great replies and information. I have attached some photos of what I'm dealing with here in hopes that you all can tell me what's right, what's wrong, and whether I need any additional blocks, shackles, a 4 rope clutch, etc.

The sail is new, the lines are new, and I haven't ever had to start from scratch like this. I really don't know what I'm doing and would really appreciate any help.

I also included a couple of photos of what I believe are the reefing points in the sail, there are two rows of them across the lower part of the sail. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them.

Thank you for your advice and patience, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There’s a lot to unpack there. I’ll have to study those images on my laptop and see what I can suggest. If possible You should start fresh.
If I understood from post #6, you’ve lost the tail of the outhaul (In the boom)? I’ve done way worse. I suggest taking the sail off, taking the vang off and taking the boom off including the line led thru that shackle. If you put the boom on a couple of saw horses at a comfortable level to work on. You will have to fish (Hopefully a new) out haul through the boom. Use the middle turning block on the end of the boom. Where it exits the boom is your choice. But I would look at the port side (With that little cleat). If you don’t already have one you may need to install an exit block in the boom aft of that cleat.
In post # 8 you say a sheet goes throughone of the stoppers (Clutch). If true it shouldn’t. That should free up one stopper for the outhaul. By convention the main halyard is on the starboard side and jib on the port. More later. I’m going cross eyed typing on this phone while I await the Dr.!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've looked at the pics again on my Mac and it looks like ... a mess. That re-enforces my opinion of starting over. I can't follow all the lines without excessive back and forth between the photos. But some issues I see are:
1) The tack of the mainsail is too far away from the mast. I don't know why you need two shackles there.
2) The line that exits the boom forward out of the forward boom cap/gooseneck is led thru a hole that is way too small. There will be chafe and the line will not run without excess friction. You need an exit block for that. Something like one of these:
3) The same line runs thru one of the shackles for the tack. It should not. Again the lead isn't fair and will have too much friction. It should go directly to a turning block (Type of which depends on where you want the line to terminate.).
4) Image 10 shows that same line going thru the shackle for the vang. It should not. That line needs to leave the boom with an exit block or plate, go to a turning block and then to another block on the deck that will direct it to a terminus.
5) I'm not sure the sail is on correctly. The re-enforcement of the cringle at the mast looks like what is done at the leech. Is the sail on backwards?
6) What is the timber across the companionway for? Is it temporary?
7) For the aft end of the boom I can't follow all the lines. But again the one running thru the pad eye on the bottom of the boom should not and it shouldn't be necessary to loop around the outhaul and boom to hold the sail closer to the boom. Those line will saw thru each other in short order. The outhaul properly run is the answer for that.
8) On the port side there is not a deck organizer on the deck as there is on the right side. I would install one for your jib halyard and what ever other lines may be used (Reef lines)?
9) At the base of the mast the most aft line (Main halyard?) seems ok but the next line up is coming out around that block in an unfair direction. So whatever that line is it will have too much friction and will chafe. The next line (Most forward) can't be led anywhere except athwartship unless it goes to a turning block of some sort. What is that line for. It looks a little like a messenger to me.
10) In image 2 there is a standing block forward of the vang with a line running thru it but I can't tell where the line originates or terminates. That's a nice block but it needs to be put to good use.
I hope this is helpful and not taken as critical. You just need to de-rig and start over.

Jul 7, 2020
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
I've looked at the pics again on my Mac and it looks like ... a mess. That re-enforces my opinion of starting over. I can't follow all the lines without excessive back and forth between the photos. But some issues I see are:
1) The tack of the mainsail is too far away from the mast. I don't know why you need two shackles there.
2) The line that exits the boom forward out of the forward boom cap/gooseneck is led thru a hole that is way too small. There will be chafe and the line will not run without excess friction. You need an exit block for that. Something like one of these:
3) The same line runs thru one of the shackles for the tack. It should not. Again the lead isn't fair and will have too much friction. It should go directly to a turning block (Type of which depends on where you want the line to terminate.).
4) Image 10 shows that same line going thru the shackle for the vang. It should not. That line needs to leave the boom with an exit block or plate, go to a turning block and then to another block on the deck that will direct it to a terminus.
5) I'm not sure the sail is on correctly. The re-enforcement of the cringle at the mast looks like what is done at the leech. Is the sail on backwards?
7) For the aft end of the boom I can't follow all the lines. But again the one running thru the pad eye on the bottom of the boom should not and it shouldn't be necessary to loop around the outhaul and boom to hold the sail closer to the boom. Those line will saw thru each other in short order. The outhaul properly run is the answer for that.
8) On the port side there is not a deck organizer on the deck as there is on the right side. I would install one for your jib halyard and what ever other lines may be used (Reef lines)?
9) At the base of the mast the most aft line (Main halyard?) seems ok but the next line up is coming out around that block in an unfair direction. So whatever that line is it will have too much friction and will chafe. The next line (Most forward) can't be led anywhere except athwartship unless it goes to a turning block of some sort. What is that line for. It looks a little like a messenger to me.
10) In image 2 there is a standing block forward of the vang with a line running thru it but I can't tell where the line originates or terminates. That's a nice block but it needs to be put to good use.
I hope this is helpful and not taken as critical. You just need to de-rig and start over.
Thank you for all the detailed analysis and advice! I'm working on this now, but wanted to reply to what I can at this time in case that changes any of the advice:

Is this good now?

1629385323904.jpeg

That is the reef line, a 3/8" as specified in the manual. I think it was supposed to be going down through that boom cap, not up through the hole, although the manual appears to show it going up through the small hole, then through a block, then back down again? Here is the manual:
1629385756714.jpeg

I took it out of that hole and ran it down instead, so now it goes over the sheave inside the boom cap. Is this correct for the reef line?

1629386438850.jpeg

Is this good?

1629386586736.jpeg

Is this better? Same as the photo above, but then I added a block like you suggested.

1629387011967.jpeg

The sail is on correctly, the sliders are in the mast. It is a very heavy sail, perhaps it has extra reinforcement.

Yes, it's there temporarily for lowering the engine back into the boat soon (the engine had problems also).

If you're referring to the padeye at the underside of the aft end of the boom, that is just a separate line I have running to a cleat to hold the boom steady while working on it.

The jib halyard is self-contained (a CDI FF6 furler). I have the reef line going through the deck organizer on the right side.

The gray line is the main halyard, the white line is just a spare 3/8" line that I use for the mast climber equipment to climb the mast.

The standing block is for the main sheet line, which goes from the blocks on the underside of the boom through the standing block and then to the deck organizer and then to the clutch. This is what is shown in the manual.

Is this all correct now? I still am not sure how to rig the outhaul and what to do with the reefing line after it exits the aft of the boom.

Thank you for your help, it is really appreciated.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't have time for a detailed response now. But yes the reefing line looks better to me and the single shackle looks better too. When the sail is raised and the tension is on the luff it should be fine. I see the standing block is part of the main sheet system.
Regarding the diagram it looks like that is for single line reefing but I still wouldn't like that small hole for an exit. Regardless of which way is used I like having the reefing line go thru the stopper and presumably to a winch which I think is good to get a nice tight reef. Since you have the reefing hooks slab reefing is available too and I would at least initially start with that. It is easier to set up in my opinion.
As far as I can see you still need to re-run the outhaul line.
Engine too? What's the story with this boat?

Jul 7, 2020
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
I don't have time for a detailed response now. But yes the reefing line looks better to me and the single shackle looks better too. When the sail is raised and the tension is on the luff it should be fine. I see the standing block is part of the main sheet system.
Regarding the diagram it looks like that is for single line reefing but I still wouldn't like that small hole for an exit. Regardless of which way is used I like having the reefing line go thru the stopper and presumably to a winch which I think is good to get a nice tight reef. Since you have the reefing hooks slab reefing is available too and I would at least initially start with that. It is easier to set up in my opinion.
As far as I can see you still need to re-run the outhaul line.
Engine too? What's the story with this boat?
Thank you. Yes, I still need to re-run the outhaul line. Do I really need to install a different clutch to be able to clutch the outhaul or can I just pull it by hand? The sail is a really heavy Dacron, Ullman Endurance sail.

The engine oil sensor came detached, flooding the boat with engine oil, so the engine was taken out to find the problem and fix it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You don't need to install a new clutch solely for the outhaul. You can terminate the outhaul line on a cleat on the boom. A lot of boats are rigged like that.
If you want or need more purchase on the outhaul you can add a turning block to the system inside the boom. The short version of this is: You attach on end of the outhaul line internally to the boom with an eye. The other end goes thru a block, which is attached to what line terminates on the sail clew.
I'll look for a diagram. You could add a small winch to the boom as another alternative.
Regarding the end of boom picture which came in as I was writing this, the outhaul would like go thru the middle channel - the one with the stopper (Which I wouldn't trust). The other two channels would work nicely for the reefing lines which you asked about in the OP. To keep things simple I didn't go into that - yet.

Jul 7, 2020
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
Here are some diagrams. I couldn't copy them individually. So look at the Harken 2:1 or the Ronstan image next to it.
Great, thank you. I don't think I have the ability to install anything inside the boom. I'll run the outhaul through the stopper and to the cleat as you suggested. I should be able to get any sail outhaul tight enough just by hand, even with that heavy of a sail?