How To Replace Lenses on Gray (Bomar) Portlights

Dec 18, 2019
Hunter 36 Cherubini Charleston, SC
Hello,

I have ordered a replacement lens for my Gray Series portlight (made by Bomar, AKA Pompanette). The hinge pin on this portlight is not a bolt, but an actual pin. I think this pin can be driven out by careful tapping with a drift punch and hammer, but I'm not sure. Has anyone changed these lenses before? If yes, do you have any photos/video/explanation for removal and reinstallation? I've scoured the internet and was surprised to find nothing out there on this. I've attached a photo of the complete portlight as well as one of each side of one of the hinge pins. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Seems like a lot of work and a high chance of breaking something. It would be easier to replace frame and all, than trying to remove the lens. Wrong part; send it back for a replacement. Did not know they came in black.

Dec 18, 2019
Hunter 36 Cherubini Charleston, SC
@Benny17441. Thanks for the response. I'm sure it is relatively easy to do, but I'm taking your advice and sending it back. Unfortunately Bomar shuts down for the holidays. I can't get another one shipped until mid to late January

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I tried to do it on some 30 yo port lights.
The frame material was very brittle and the force of a tap broke the 'pin' mounts in two place. I wouldn't recommend trying a replacement unless you have the inside skinny from Pompanette.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The Gray manufacturing division of Pompanette LLC is located in Tampa FL. I have not dealt with them in over 10 years but I used to call them directly and they were very helpful, would take an order over the phone and mail parts directly to my place. You can try calling them 813-885-2182 7712 Cheri Ct. Tampa, FL 33634.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
I have replaced mine a few times and I have moved around the lenses as well. It is fairly simple. Undo the bolt but do not take it out as it keeps the alignment. Take a small pusher pin and tap the pin out (i.e. towards the outer edge of the frame). The Grey pins are not symmetric and have a small head on one end. If you wanted to drive that head through all the hinges you have a higher chance of breaking them. Good luck. After the first one it will become second nature.

Replacing the port is also an option but not an easy task (remove, clean out the calk, reinstall, clean up again... it takes a couple of hours per port and it is cold outside). If you do decide to replace them, consider this offering on Amazon for $30 per port which includes everything plus tempered glass (much better than plastic).

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Pizzazz, Thanks for your post.
Now I have another project to do! :kick:

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
I just tried to visit http://pompanettellc.com and the site won't load at all. Does anyone know if they are still operating these days? I am looking for replacement Gray series porthole lenses. Thanks!

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I replaced the lens on the forward hatch on my Hunter 212 probably about a year or two ago. I looked at knocking out the pins, but decided against it for fear of breaking plastic. Instead, I removed the entire assembly, brought it into the shop & worked on it there. I pried up one corner of the lens where the adhesive had failed & stuck a piece of 20# braided fishing line in there. I worded the line back & forth, all the way around the perimeter of the lens until the lens was cut free. I then removed the balance of the old adhesive with a putty knife. I seated the new lens with 3M 5200 fast dry & let it set for a day. I then installed the assembly back into the boat using a thick bead of RTV silicone. I screwed it down, but not tight. I left about 1/8" minimum gap & let it form a custom shaped gasket that conformed to the non-flat surfaces of the boat. After 5 or 6 days I snugged the screws a little more, cut away the extra RTV with a razor & called the job done. I sold that boat a few months ago. I saw no problems after the repair.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Try this site. They should be able to help you. As for removing the pin with a punch it's doable but the older the frame the more brittle it is so more prone to breaking. If you do it, be careful to start with the pin and not the machine screw. Punch it out and leave some in to keep the window in place until ready to pull out. Inseting a smaller pin from the open end helps preventing breakage. Then remove the wing nut & unscrew the machine screw. If you can insert a small pin from the other end as you do it it helps. Once screw completely out, hold the assembly together and pull both small pins out. Good luck.

• Helpful
Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I replaced all of my port light lens last summer much the same way as described in Pizzazz's post. The pins come out fairly easily if they are driven from the end opposite the knurled head. On my lens, the knurled heads were always on the outside edges of the lens so they have to be driven out from the inside. I used a long skinny nail for a tool.

• Helpful

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
1515 SE 16th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
(954) 525-6367
Maybe try giving them a call?
I called today, but just voice mail. When you hit "Staff Directory" no one is listed. 0 for Reception just loops the message again. I will keep trying. Thanks. Sean

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I called today, but just voice mail. When you hit "Staff Directory" no one is listed. 0 for Reception just loops the message again. I will keep trying. Thanks. Sean
They may be closed due to the "Rona". I don't know

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Makes sense....Will try again some time in the future. Thanks!
You can order online at the link Claude gave if you have an ‘83 - ‘87 Hunter 31 these are your ports you can buy parts or the whole port. Not sure if they are working now. Try an email, I have found them to be most helpful. I am slowly replacing my ports an have ordered four from them so far.

Ports- Gray Enterprises

Odd port 14.75 x 4.75 Size 414

All others 12.5 x 5.75 size 512

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
Mike, terrific and very helpful! Are you taking out the old ports and putting new ones in or just the lenses?

Best,

Sean