How to replace a pump-out hose?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I realize that you already purchased saniflex hose; however, I would try the trident 48mm hose before using multiple fittings.....too much potential for leaks with 5 connections instead of 2. If the 48 mm hose works, you can sell the remaining saniflex hose.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
@BigEasy I'd love 2" hose... and 48mm is probably(?) close enough with a little coaxing and a little heat gun use... but I cannot find 2" sanitation hose, (or 48mm sanitation hose) anywhere. Technically I did find a hose called "Head Hunter Great White" that makes both 48mm and 51mm sanitation hose... but they want $1,100.00 plus shipping for a 50 foot coil, or $28 per foot plus a ton for international shipping plus a long delay for shorter lengths (I need about 6 feet or so). I'm begrudgingly willing to "waste" (no pun intended) the $50 or so I spent on Saniflex if there''s a better solution, but not willing to spend several hundred dollars extra for that hose... which, incidentally, may or may not even be any better than the permeation problem I'm trying to fix in the first place. That's why I'm starting to lean toward < $20 worth of PVC coupled with the saniflex I've got... or possibly PVC all the way up to within spitting distance of the deck, using just a tiny section of 2" hose (maybe even non-sanitation if necessary) to couple the pvc to the deck fitting... up where it is "high and dry" nearly all the time. Your suggestion isn't a ridiculous one... it's actually my preference, but seeming very difficult to procure what I'd need. I'm completely amazed that I have such a common boat from such a common manufacturer, and can't easily grab a replacement hose. It seems like lots of other model Beneteaus use these winch-handle deck fittings for waste, and in looking for the replacement fittings online, it appears they're MORE common with 2" barbed fittings than they are in 1.5". How can there be such a demand for waste fittings for 2" hoses, while there are almost no 2" waste hoses? So odd.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
@BigEasy I'm completely amazed that I have such a common boat from such a common manufacturer, and can't easily grab a replacement hose.
I share your frustration, ran into the same problem trying to find an OEM stern tube cooling water nipple/fitting!
You are correct, the Great White hose is not an option considering the cost. I don't know what effect using an inferior hose would have, odor wise, because you're not only dealing with waste fluids accumulating in the bottom section of hose; however, you are also dealing with organic gases that probably permeate more readily, throughout the length of hose. Another option is to sanitize the present hose and allow it to sit in the sun for a few days, then reinstall it. Unfortunately, that option would be OK initially; however, the hose is likely to re-permeate again rather quickly, I did that once with a previous boat. Finally, the PVC is still an option. Personally, I prefer Peggy's option of replacing the deck fitting to one that has a 1.5" fitting and reconfiguring the tank fitting to 1.5" I don't think that would be a difficult nor expensive retrofit. The deck fitting on my boat is 1.5" stainless steel, unlike yours, my boat was built in USA. Whatever you attempt, I would want this fix to last as long as possible because, lets face it, this is a messy & difficult project. Would also want a fix that facilitates easiest replacement in future with least potential for leaking. Let us know the results.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I MAY still go that route (replacing the deck fitting)... but again... making a smaller hole in my deck in the place of a large one isn't as small a project as I'd hoped for either. Plus I kind'a like my nice matching fittings that I can open with a winch handle instead of needing a key (though I might need to give in on that one). Still leaning toward the tiny section of 2" hose (either my old hose, or some non-sanitation hose) to then get me to either my saniflex or right to PVC.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There's actually something to recommend a deck pumpout fitting that's different from the other deckfills...it seriously reduces the rist that someone will mistake it for the water or fuel fill or pump out the wrong tank.

Still leaning toward the tiny section of 2" hose (either my old hose, or some non-sanitation hose) to then get me to either my saniflex or right to PVC.

I can't visualize what you're describing.

Another option is to sanitize the present hose and allow it to sit in the sun for a few days, then reinstall it.
Sorry, but re-using the old hose is not an option. The average working life of any hose in any system is 10 years because rubber and plastics dry out with age, becoming hard, brittle and prone to cracking and/or splitting. It's one of the most common causes of sinkings. A split pumpout hose isn't likely to sink a boat, but the last thing anyone would want is a tankful of sewage in the bilge.

--Peggie

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
So lots of good suggestions here... but I'm still left with several options with pros and cons for each... I figured a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are diagrams for the 4 possible solutions:
Below is the existing situation (green is new 1.5" Saniflex to replace my existing 1.5"... already done... blue is 2" hose we're discussing how best to replace:
Existing Beneteau Sanitation Plumbing.jpg

Below is Proposal #1:
Beneteau Sanitation Plumbing 1.jpg

This would replace the 2" hose with 1 7/8" hose... This is the simplest route *IF* I can squeeze that small hose onto the (slightly too big) fittings... The drawbacks *IF* it fits, are that it costs slightly more (no big deal) and that I'm using slightly inferior hose (certainly less-smell-proof than PVC) compared with the Saniflex hose. I'm not looking forward to getting the hose on the fittings if this is the route I go.
Below is Proposal #2:
Beneteau Sanitation Plumbing 2.jpg

This would use the best possible hose for the job, which I happen to already have on hand, but requires swapping, or reducing tank fittings (not a big deal) and swapping out the deck fitting... which requires me to make the bigger hole in the deck into a smaller one, and purchase and use a non-matching deck fill, I hate to get into filling holes in the deck, redrilling, etc. etc. more than absolutely necessary. The hose is easiest to run this way, and saniflex is great (though maybe not quite as good as PVC in this use)
Below is proposal #3:
Beneteau Sanitation Plumbing 3.jpg

This would be very smell-proof, but potentially tricky to fit PVC in place (and would require cutting of PVC if I ever want to remove it (not a big deal, PVC is cheap and easy to work with) This also uses all-new-saniflex 1.5" hose for a small section but requires a new deck fitting as well (see disadvantages already listed for replacing deck fitting).
Below is proposal #4:
Beneteau Sanitation Plumbing 4.jpg

This takes advantage of the smell-proof PVC... and smell-proof was the entire reason I'm doing this project in the first place... and costs the least (as it only requires purchasing of maybe 1 foot of new 1 7/8" hose). It also has no smaller 1.5" bottlenecks in the system... but also relies on fitting 1 7/8" hose on a 2" barb... which may be a challenge. Presumably in any of these solutions that contain part-pvc-part-hose, I would do the maximum possible PVC run, and the smallest possible section of hose... really the hose is only there to get from the deck fitting barbs to a coupling transitioning to PVC below as quickly as possible. I suppose a slight variation on this one (which I'm not going to redraw) is to get just 1 foot of 2" Great White hose, shipped for like $50... ridiculous, but I suppose not impossible. Also possible is to use 1 foot of something non-sanitation-grade... I don't love that idea, but it is way easier to get some other 2" hose... and it could be kept to an extremely short length... really just inches long to put on the barb of the deck fitting, and then immediately clamped to another coupling onto PVC.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Filling the deck hole is not really a big deal. It doesn't need to be structural, just fill in the gap. The flange will hide the repair.

Get your new deck fill and find a piece of PVC or something with the same OD, this will be a temporary filler piece. Wrap the filler piece with a layer of plastic shipping tape. Insert the filler piece in the large hole, use some tape on the bottom to keep it in position and to keep the epoxy from dripping out. Fill the gap with thickened epoxy. Once the epoxy cures, remove the bottom piece of tape and tap the filler piece with a rubber mallet, a hammer or chunk of 2x4. The filler piece will drop out and you'll have a nice new properly sized hole.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Filling the deck hole is not really a big deal. It doesn't need to be structural, just fill in the gap. The flange will hide the repair.
Dave,
Excellent idea! When you remove the old deck fill, you may find that it unnecessary to fill the hole, if the fit is close; however, even if it does need to be filled, Dave's method is quick & easy. Either way, you will likely need to fill the existing screw holes and redrill for the new deck fitting. Doubt if a new deck fill is going to have the same screw pattern, especially since the existing deck fill is a European model. I still vote for this option along with the 1.5" hose that you already purchased.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
FYI: I launched the boat and sailed for the first time this weekend. I ended up using SaniFlex for everything EXCEPT for my pump-out hose. and replaced that entirely with 2" rigid PVC. I used a rubber "coupler" with stainless hose clamps to transition from 2" PVC to the 2" deck fitting. Had to heat the PVC to deform/bend it A LITTLE in a couple tight spots, but nothing too drastic. Should be VERY smell-resistant. The only minor drawback that comes to mind is that the rigid PVC will be more susceptible to cracking if frozen with liquid inside... but nothing that can't be prevented with a little extra antifreeze.