• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

How to replace a pump-out hose?

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
My sanitation hoses are due (overdue) for replacement and I'd like to tackle that project this spring. I was thinking (per Peggy's recommendation, and others' as well) that I'd use the Raritan Sani/flex hose... and they're on sale at Defender this week. In measuring what I'll need to order, I found that I have 5 hoses total that are "downstream" from the toilet:
  • from the head to a "Y" valve
  • from the "Y" valve to the holding tank
  • from the "Y valve to a through-hull
  • from the tank to the overboard vent
  • from the tank to the deck pump-out fitting
The first 4 seem easy enough using 1.5" flexible hose. I think I've got those under control. The last one though... the pump-out hose on my boat seems to be appriximately 2" diameter... definitely bigger than the rest of the hoses, which are 1.5. I didn't take it off of its fittings to get an accurate interior diameter measurement, but it is noticeably larger than the others, and in putting a measuring tape around the circumference, it is about 1.75" farther around than the others... which (divided by pi) would be about 1/2" additional of diameter. Anyhow... not surprisingly, it takes a fairly sharp turn to get from the bottom of the holding tank up to the deck... So using a stiffer hose doesn't seem like it'll be fun/successful. Should I:
  1. Leave it and just replace the others?
  2. Try to replace it using rigid PVC?
  3. Deal with the difficulty of using more rigid hose?
  4. Use some other product that I'm not familiar with?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. This is on a Beneteau 373 with no macerator pump.
Thanks.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Of all the hoses to replace, the pumpout hose is the one that needs to be replaced the most as it is the one with the strongest odor. The hose will always have stuff in it and the odor from that stuff will permeate the hose and stink. The other hoses will be less prone to smell but can clog with calcium restricting the flow.

Most if not all pumpout fittings are 1.5". I suspect that hose is simply a different brand. Trident 101 has a larger OD than the comparable Shields hose or some cheap vinyl hoses. If you can, pull the hose off the deck fitting and measure the ID.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Apparently your pumpout hose is a different type of hose than the others--thicker wall or, more likely, double wall rubber hose....'cuz it has to have the same 1.5" inner diameter as the other hoses or it wouldn't fit the tank fitting or the hose barb on the deck pumpout fitting. I suspect a PO used it in the hope it would be more odor permeation resistant than the other hoses he used.

So you'll be ok with 1.5" SaniFlex, but instead of bending it sharply to go up the deck fitting I'd use a 90 degree thread-barb tank fitting.

Btw...SaniFlex is only available in 1" and 1.5"...so unless you're also planning to replace the standard 5/8" vent with a new 1" tank vent fitting and thru-hull (which would be an excellent idea unless the PO has already done that), you won't be able to use SaniFlex for the vent line. If you have to use 5/8" hose, it's ok to use Shields or Trident flex PVC #148 for that.

--Peggie

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
Thanks Peggie,
It looks like my existing VENT hose is 1.5" as well... seems like overkill to me... but hey... better too big than too small I guess. I should have taken pictures... maybe next time.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Better too big than too small...but there is a limit. And who knows what kind of hose the PO may have use for the vent...it may not even be sanitation hose. So don't buy new till you've removed it and can check the ID...and remember,..hose sizes are always stated as the INNER diameter.

Btw...how long is the vent line...how straight is it? If there are bends in it, the PO may have thought that a larger ID hose would compensate (not much if any). If so, straighten and shorten as much as possible, even if it means a new thru-hull for the vent in a better location.

--Peggie

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
Thanks Peggy,
Tank to vent is about 3 feet... not too curvy... pretty short and direct. I'll post here as I progress... Defender has a sale on saniflex right now $8.60-something per foot... not bad... At the very least, I'm replacing all three hoses connected to the "Y" valve (from head, to overboard, to tank) and will measure the other two (pumpout and vent) I.D.s to be 100% sure... but I'm HOPIING I can do 1.5" for all of 'em. I'll post my progress (and/or failures) here so the world can learn from my experience.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
And PULEEEZE contact me directly if you run into ANYything that raises a question. I LOVE helping people getting it all right the first time...but I really hate it when I could have saved someone from him/herself if only they'd asked, but were afraid to look stupid so they didn't. There is no such thing as stupid question, only answers you need.

--Peggie