How to remove and then replace winches

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
On the Catalina 30 there are bosses glassed in on the cabin top to which the winches bolt. If the bolt pattern doesn't match one can easily tap new threads. Just make sure that you use an old bolt hole to determine the depth of the new pilot hole so that you don't perpetrate the saloon overhead.

Claygr

Feb 10, 2014
Catalina 387 Milwaukee, WI
You don't need to take the bases off but that doesn't mean you can't take all the parts off and clean them at home - that I what I do. The first time you do it will take the most time. If you clean them annually or semi-annually afterward, you may be able to do each one in 15-20 minutes. We use plastic "shoebox" containers that cost $1 each at target to hold each set of winch parts - everything but the drums will fit in. Lewmar has schematics for each of their winches to ease in reassembly. They also have winch maintenance kits (which include the schematics but you can also get them on their website) with the pawls, springs, oil and grease for reassembly. I use mineral spirits and a lot of old toothbrushes to clean except on the plastic parts - those are just rubbed clean. Apply the minimum of grease and oil when putting back together.