How to remove and then replace winches

Dec 15, 2012
Catalina 309 Boston
I am about to do my first ever cleaning and re haul of all winches on board My question is how are the winches attached.Are they easy to remove and replace? The cabin top winches, for instance ,have 5 screws but are these bolted from underneath or do they screw into a permanent plate? I would like to do the work off the boat if possible. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Look into the hole you might put your winch handle for a screw head. You might want to provision for the spilling of parts, just in case?

Beyond that, some photos wouldn't suck. ;)

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
It's most common to disassemble and service winches while still mounted to the boat, Lewmars for the last few decades can be disassembled by hand. What year and type of winch ? There are online service manuals for most and probably You Tube videos.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Without knowing the boat manufacturer which would tell us how they are mounted and what kind of winches you have which would tell us how you disassemble them, were just guessing here.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Here's one way of removing them, not recommended.

The first and second are a Barents 21 the third is a Lewmar 40, both from Cat 30's.

There are several YouTube videos showing you how to disassemble and service. You can learn to do them your self or find a girlfriend like her to service them for you. :D

Attachments

Dec 15, 2012
Catalina 309 Boston
Look into the hole you might put your winch handle for a screw head. You might want to provision for the spilling of parts, just in case?

Beyond that, some photos wouldn't suck. ;)
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Ok heres some pics. They are Lewmar winches. There are % screws at the base of the winch's are they bolted from underneath or do they screw into a fixed plate? If they are bolted it would be very difficult to reinstall without cutting into the cabin overhead

Attachments

Dec 15, 2012
Catalina 309 Boston
It's most common to disassemble and service winches while still mounted to the boat, Lewmars for the last few decades can be disassembled by hand. What year and type of winch ? There are online service manuals for most and probably You Tube videos.
Yes my problem is not disassembling them, I would prefer to take them to my work bench instead of working on the boat. They are very straight forward my question is are they attached to a plate or bolted????

Dec 15, 2012
Catalina 309 Boston
Here's one way of removing them, not recommended.

The first and second are a Barents 21 the third is a Lewmar 40, both from Cat 30's.

There are several YouTube videos showing you how to disassemble and service. You can learn to do them your self or find a girlfriend like her to service them for you. :D

This is exactly what I want to avoid. That is why I want to remove them from the boat. So again my question is, are they bolted from below or screwed into a fixed plate?

Dec 15, 2012
Catalina 309 Boston
Without knowing the boat manufacturer which would tell us how they are mounted and what kind of winches you have which would tell us how you disassemble them, were just guessing here.
Since this is a Catalina forum I guess I wrongfully assumed you would know the boat manufacturer but to be clear it's a Catalina 309 the winches are Lewmars. Are they bolted from below or screwed into a fixed plate? You seem like a knowledgeable sort so what is the answer sport?

jerry

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 320 500 Stockton, Mo.
phennessey,
I have a Catalina 28. Just did my winches on Monday. Winches are thru bolted. Mine are stuck down tight with some kind of bonding material. I used a rubber mallet and was unable to budge them. Make a cutout of a box to catch material and take apart on the boat. Watch for springs and things when you remove the gear shafts (they just lift out). It was suggested to me to use a putty knife and slowly and gently pry them off. I have not done that so lots of luck:

jerry

Dec 15, 2012
Catalina 309 Boston
phennessey,
I have a Catalina 28. Just did my winches on Monday. Winches are thru bolted. Mine are stuck down tight with some kind of bonding material. I used a rubber mallet and was unable to budge them. Make a cutout of a box to catch material and take apart on the boat. Watch for springs and things when you remove the gear shafts (they just lift out). It was suggested to me to use a putty knife and slowly and gently pry them off. I have not done that so lots of luck:

jerry
Here we go! Now thats a proper answer, and good advice. You must be from the "show me state", Jerry. Thank you for the box tip I'll use that for sure

Dec 15, 2012
Catalina 309 Boston
phennessey,

jerry
BTW that looks like a1952 Ford am I right?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Since this is a Catalina forum I guess I wrongfully assumed you would know the boat manufacturer but to be clear it's a Catalina 309 the winches are Lewmars. Are they bolted from below or screwed into a fixed plate? You seem like a knowledgeable sort so what is the answer sport?
If you can't see or find any bolts sport or you don't see an access plate immediately below the winch, it would be a good bet they don't exist. I don't think Catalina screwed them into raw glass so absent any bolts, they are screwed into imbedded plates sandwiched in the deck.

There are a variety go how-to videos on the Lewmar web site showing all the steps and precautions involved in winch maintenance. Google is your friend

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I know you would "prefer" to remove them and do them at home. You simply don't need to do that. I didn't watch the video.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
As a former C309 owner, here's my experience -
The winches are through bolted. The port bolts are easily accessible in the cockpit locker. The starboard side is harder, requiring the removal of the trim strip in the aft cabin (4 screws) and then reaching around the lip of the headliner. Harder still if you don't have small hands. If you try to disassemble on the boat, you will find that the lower gear cannot be removed due to the way the winch base is recessed into the coaming. Obviously not a problem on the cabin top winches. I would not, however, recommend unbolting and removing the winches since you will likely have problems breaking the thick bedding, and will then have a real bear of a job rebedding them, and especially getting a wrench on the starboard winch bolts to tighten them. It only takes 15-20 minutes to tear down, clean, lube, and reassemble a winch in place.

jerry

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 320 500 Stockton, Mo.
52 midship pumper 800 gpm centrifugual pump. Primed with a gear positive displacement pump. What I cut my firefighting teeth on. Its been a few years. Volunteer fire dept.

Dec 15, 2012
Catalina 309 Boston
Thanks John very useful and informative.The answer is clean them on board.I appreciate your help!

Dec 15, 2012
Catalina 309 Boston
If you can't see or find any bolts sport or you don't see an access plate immediately below the winch, it would be a good bet they don't exist. I don't think Catalina screwed them into raw glass so absent any bolts, they are screwed into imbedded plates sandwiched in the deck.

There are a variety go how-to videos on the Lewmar web site showing all the steps and precautions involved in winch maintenance. Google is your friend
Still can't answer the question can you Spanky.

Dec 15, 2012
Catalina 309 Boston
52 midship pumper 800 gpm centrifugual pump. Primed with a gear positive displacement pump. What I cut my firefighting teeth on. Its been a few years. Volunteer fire dept.
I had a 52 F1 with the flathead V8. Last year for the round fenders

Dec 15, 2012
Catalina 309 Boston
Thanks everyone for all the replies especially Jerry and John Salley. Got the info I need and I very much appreciate your help !